Bryson DeChambeau Thread

We'll have to wait and see how BD does over the course of the next 5 years.
Bryson is a young lad. I think he will be fine if he stays away from the Navy SEALs workouts for the sake of working out.

Liked seeing Bryson's drives on #6 over the weekend. Shocked he didn't eagle that hole once though. Unlucky bunker shot spin on Sunday

I heard an interesting discussion on PGA radio this morning.They were talking about the injury to Koepke, and how his body style may have been contributing to his injury, and the talk got into longevity. One of the hosts brought up a good point, and instead of players playing competitively until the champions tour, maybe some have the new attitude of building up the body and go as hard as you can for 10-12 years and make as much money as you can and have a shorter career like those in other sports, so that you can retire (like the rest of us who want to save up enough so we don't have to work anymore). Interesting perspective.
That is interesting and I can see that. In golf I'm kind of surprised because it potentially can be a sport a person can play for a long time and enjoy and still make money. While I'd like to enjoy life in my 60's and retire, I'd sure like to play and still make money?!

I heard an interesting discussion on PGA radio this morning.They were talking about the injury to Koepke, and how his body style may have been contributing to his injury, and the talk got into longevity. One of the hosts brought up a good point, and instead of players playing competitively until the champions tour, maybe some have the new attitude of building up the body and go as hard as you can for 10-12 years and make as much money as you can and have a shorter career like those in other sports, so that you can retire (like the rest of us who want to save up enough so we don't have to work anymore). Interesting perspective.
The hosts on PGA radio are probably not experts on physical fitness or strength and conditioning.

I am never amazed at the lengths golfers go to in order to justify being skinny and weak.

The last couple of pages of the thread are interesting. Not sure why people hate on BDC but to each their own. I kinda like him. He had a theory, he changed his body dramatically - apparently through hard work and diet - and he’s proving a lot of the so called experts wrong. I find what he’s doing to be kind of fascinating and compelling.

I too find him very compelling. He is doing it his own way and he has the game to achieve a high level of success. I don’t get all the hate of Bryson.

So crazy! Love that he’s constantly trying to improve.

On the flip side, strength training strengthens connective tissue as well as muscles - so it could end up having a net positive effect upon their longevity. It also has an effect upon the nervous system, improving both muscle fiber recruitment and rate coding, which could have a net positive effect upon their swing.

A Tweet from Bryson today:

Screen Shot.png

I was surprised that he was allowed to line it up like a putt, but he clearly asked and was allowed to do it by the rules official, so who can fairly fault him?
No rules expert here, but I'm guessing it was because he was allowed to place the ball after two unsuccessful drops. If he had to use one of his drops, I don't think he would have been allowed to touch the ball after the drop because it was then in play. I don't think there's a rule saying you can't align the ball when placing it - but it was smart of him to ask to make sure.

No rules expert here, but I'm guessing it was because he was allowed to place the ball after two unsuccessful drops. If he had to use one of his drops, I don't think he would have been allowed to touch the ball after the drop because it was then in play. I don't think there's a rule saying you can't align the ball when placing it - but it was smart of him to ask to make sure.
this is correct.

Interesting look at his swing then and now..

I think that swing in 2016 looked great! Crazy to see the size difference as well.
It still is single plane, for good or bad, but it is a very smooth, sequenced swing for sure.

It still is single plane, for good or bad, but it is a very smooth, sequenced swing for sure.

It for sure looks less mechanical though. Which I think is a good thing. I think him stepping a bit back from trying to be an iron Byron is a good move..

It for sure looks less mechanical though. Which I think is a good thing. I think him stepping a bit back from trying to be an iron Byron is a good move..
It’s funny. When I watch his swing since the bulking up, “mechanical” is exactly the word that comes to mind. As I have gotten older and look at my swing, I am just a fraction of his ballspeed, but my swing looks much more mechanical than it used to and it bugs me to no end.

It’s funny. When I watch his swing since the bulking up, “mechanical” is exactly the word that comes to mind. As I have gotten older and look at my swing, I am just a fraction of his ballspeed, but my swing looks much more mechanical than it used to and it bugs me to no end.

oh he for sure is still very mechanical. But comparing the 2016 to the 2021 there seems at least to me to be a bit less of a concern for the overall motion and hitting exact positions. Those have been tossed aside for raw power.

Ya see, as much as his on course stuff annoys me, he pulls me back in with stuff like this:

So Bryson used a 4 year old driver to win last week? Interesting!

This is pretty funny.

This is pretty funny.

It is funny. I know you know this, but he used the old driver specifically because it was shorter and played well for every hole NOT #6.

It is funny. I know you know this, but he used the old driver specifically because it was shorter and played well for every hole NOT #6.

I have no idea why he used it. . All I know was that the LtD performed better for him than the Rad so that’s why it was in the bag.

Interesting side by side!

Rory McIlroy validates DeChambeau's approach, on two fronts, in his post-round media appearance after missing the cut at The Players today.

"All this, the swing issues, and where it all stems from, probably, like October last year (I was) doing a little bit of speed training, sort of getting sucked into that stuff. Swing got flat, long, too rotational. Obviously I added some speed and I'm hitting the ball longer, but what that did to my swing as a whole probably wasn't a good thing. So I'm sort of fighting to get back out of that.

"Probably that's what I'm frustrated with. I felt like I made some good strides. I played well at the Tour Championship. Played well at the US Open. I sort of look back at Winged Foot and I look at my swing there and I'm like, 'I would be pretty happy with that again.'

"And then after Winged Foot, you know, I had a few weeks before we went to the west coast and I started to try and hit the ball a bit harder, hit a lot of drivers, get a bit more speed. And I feel like that was the ... that was sort of the infancy of where these swing problems have come from. So it's just a matter of trying to get back out of them."

Reporter: "Why do you think you went down that route?"

McIlroy: "I think a lot of people did. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't anything to do with what Bryson (DeChambeau) did at the US Open. I think a lot of people saw that and were like, 'whoa, of this is the way they're going to set golf courses up in the future ... it helps. It really helps.

"The one thing that people don't appreciate is how good Bryson is out of the rough, not only because of how upright he is but because his short irons are longer than standard, so he can get a little more speed through rough than us, than other guys.

"And I thought, you know, being able to get some more speed is a good thing and I maybe just to the detriment of a little bit of my swing I got there. But I just need to maybe reign it back in a little bit."

TL;DR -------> strength and OL clubs help DeChambeau

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back