TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

I played the R11 on open today and had the strangest tee shot. I hit the ball and I could totally tell it was trying to draw because it made a slight move left and then as if by some force the ball started to fade.. it was just so weird. On open I don't think I could draw the ball. The ASP just works.

I played the R11 on open today and had the strangest tee shot. I hit the ball and I could totally tell it was trying to draw because it made a slight move left and then as if by some force the ball started to fade.. it was just so weird. On open I don't think I could draw the ball. The ASP just works.

Funky, do you think it could be your weight setting that are messing with this ball flight.

Sorry Mardin, should have mentioned I am testing the 4 wood. So there is no weighting system.

Kinda my fault as I should have remembered that considering how much I've been following this thread. I really liked the 4 wood off the deck when I demoed it a ways back. But I'm still skeptical about putting a fairway back in my bag.

Wind gust up there?

Just got back from the range. Iron shots are great with a slide draw. The R11 driver was pushing right when lined up with the tow of the club. I have the settings at DRAW, HIGHER, CLOSED ASP. When I line it up on the inside of the alignment mark (heel) of the club I was hitting consistent fades. (250-275 yards). Any thoughts on why the "heel" worked over the "toe" alignment?

As Dr. Teeth noted, this doesn't makes sense...at least not in the traditional sense (ha ha) of thinking. However, if you were pushing before then I'm guessing you have a good inside to outside swing path. It may be that in lining it up with the heel you're putting your body in a position where you're turning the club over and releasing almost immediately at impact thus putting a counter-clockwise spin on the ball and causing the draw.

Ok its been a bit since I posted on here about the R11 5 wood I am testing so here is an update.

The weather was beautifull with a slight ten mile an hour breeze. We have been getting quite a bit of rain here so there was not much roll out on the fairways. I only played nine today but my sole purpose was to finally pit the R11 against my Callaway Big Bertha 5 wood and really see which club would win a spot in the bag. The yardages were measured with my Bushnell XCG GPS. The ball I was using was the Bridgestone B330-RXS, and the weapon of mass destruction was my swing. Yep I was struggling with my swing today till I realized on the 15th hole that I was getting way to fast on my downswing and lifting my head. Due to this I am throwing out the first four holes and will give you an update on the last three holes. I moved everything back to nuetral on the R11 so that both clubs would be as close together as possible.
So anyway my goal was to see which club was getting a spot in my bag and the winner is...not yet decided since the shoot out will contuine so that I can get a full 18 holes for the shootout. Here is the results of the last three holes.
Hole 16 The breeze was with me on this hole and the tee is elevated, and then slopes back up to the green. The R11 was first up and with a nice smooth swing I finally got a nice baby draw and put it in the fairway on the left hand side and total distance was 232 yards. Next up was the Callaway and once again a nice smooth swing straight down the fairway and total distance was 218 yards.
Hole 17 Now I am into the breeze and the fairway slopes uphill slightly from the tee box. first up for this one was the Callaway and while the swing was not as good as the last hole it gave me a slight fade that put me in the rough and the distance was 198 yards out. The R11 was next once again a slightly off swing it still produced a slight draw into the fairway, with 213 yards total distance.
Hole 18 The R11 had honors on this tee box, still into the breeze, with a fairway that dropeed off then rises back up to the green. I once again got a nice smooth swing and this time the ball was dead straight down the middle with 220 yards total distance. The Callaway was next off the tee box, nice easy swing that gave me a fade, that faded a bit to much and once again put me in the rough 196 yards out.

The shoot out is not over but the serious front runner is the TaylorMade R11. I hope to finish this on Sunday and i will post an update then about the outcome. I can only imagine what this club will do with a fitted shaft.
More to come soon.

After watching and reading this thread for so long, and now that my very own R11 has arrived, I can finally try to give a little back with a quick write up of my initial thoughts...

For longer than I care to admit, I have been struggling with and searching for my perfect driver. Right now I am playing to about an 18 handicap, but for most of my golfing "career" I have played between a 14 and an 18 and I am always looking to improve. My tee game has been a weakness for me for a good long time. Like many out there, I fight the dreaded slice which just compounds the problem that I am just not a long ball hitter with my woods.

After testing quite a few drivers, really liking the feel of the R11 and getting to hit most of the TP shaft offerings that TaylorMade had to offer, I settled on and ordered a nine degree R11 head with an Aldila RIP Beta 60 shaft. Took about two weeks, but the driver finally arrived on Tuesday night and I was so excited that I took Thursday and Friday off from work in order to be able to give the club a four day weekend workout.

The weather in Boston wasn't too kind to us in the early spring, so while I've played a few times, I am nowhere near "mid-season form." I've been out a few times - a lot of mid-90 scores in the early going. There was the beginning of the season rust to knock off, for sure, but I was giving away a ton of shots hitting super high, 180-200 yard slices off of the tee.

Thursday
Yesterday was in the 70's, a little misty (some might call it rain, but I am not one of those people) and some gusting winds - a decent day, not a lot of roll available on the fairways. Playing the R11 at 9.5 degrees with the ASP set to closed, I went out added between 15-20 yards to my drives RIGHT AWAY, hit 9 fairways (missed a couple more by less than three yards) and didn't really put myself in real trouble off the tee all day. This isn't going to come as a shock to anyone here, but let me just say that hitting 6 iron into holes rather than 4 hybrid really has it's benefits when it comes to the score card. With some decent play in the other areas in my game (nothing special, but certainly serviceable), I posted an 89 (under my handicap, first sub-90 round of the year).

Friday
Today was a fantastic day to be on the golf course here in the Boston area. Low to mid 70's, sunny - perfect spring day. The wind was far more manageable today as there was a bit of breeze on most holes, but nothing like the gusts from yesterday. In hopes of really eliminating the slice today, I moved the R11 to 10 degrees and left the ASP at closed. The results were pretty similar to yesterday's round both distance wise (perhaps a tad shorter today) and in terms of accuracy - another 9 fairways, two really bad misses, three fairways missed by less than 10-15 feet. Again, a decent all-around day, though I did not avoid the dreaded three-putt like I did yesterday (34 putts today rather than 28 yesterday) and posted a 90. Gotta be happy when you shoot your 'cap, I guess - but I definitely left some shots out there today...

I know people have had some problems with this club in terms of forgiveness, but I don't have enough good things to say about it right now. Yes, mishits are punished, but what I am seeing so far is that they are hit more in terms of distance than accuracy (which is a nice change for me). If you make a good swing, make good contact - the ball just goes. If you don't, it doesn't - but hey, that makes us all better in the end, right? I'd like to hope so, at least.

I have tee times scheduled for tomorrow and Sunday and I couldn't be more excited. As of right now, it is fun to hit tee shots again. I hope it lasts.

More to come as I get some more swings under my belt...

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question but what is the factory weight configuration in the R11 driver head?

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question but what is the factory weight configuration in the R11 driver head?

10 heel and 1toe, FCT Neutral, ASP Neutral

r11 4 wood testing
Well, I took the 4 wood out for a LONG round of 18 yesterday. The wind was 10-15 mph and the weather was in the high 50's and low 60's throughout the round. I didn't use the r11 a whole bunch because I cut my driver down to 44" and had to get used to that. However, I had some good and some bad shots with the r11.

Shot 1: 1st hole, pulled my drive into the left rough - 213 to the green, pulled the r11, set up for a draw and swung. I hit a high ball that moved slightly right to left and landed safely on the green about 20 feet from the pin. I was amazed at how the r11 cut through the damp rough, as it was quite a bit higher than I am used to.

Shot 2: 240 yards from the green on a par 5. Sitting in the middle of the fairway, lined up the the left side of the green and put a nice swing on the ball. I got under it just slightly and ended up 30 yards short of the green. I took a slight divot and packed the plate with mud...pain to completely clean.

Shot 3: 230 yard par 3, I didn't know what to hit, so I pulled the 4 wood and lined up for the center of the green. I dipped my front shoulder, left the face open, and slice the ball a good 20 yards right of my inteded target. I hit the ball out on the toe and for the first time felt a little vibration up into the grip - I didn't like it.

Shot 4: By this point, my round was shot, I was ready for golf to be done, and I was swinging like an idiot. I went for a par 5 in 2 and swung as fast as Biggsy. Well, I snap hooked it onto a green that wasn't on our hole. I caught the ball on the hosel and it too felt very harsh on the hands.

The club isn't a miracle club. If you put a bad swing on the ball, you are going to know it. Despite the bad shots, the good shots make my jaw drop when I hit them. Even though my swing is bad, this club inspires me to swing better.

R11 T3

I played some holes today and used to T3 on a few tee shots. I was working on not swaying in my swing today and had a bag of mixed results until I really figured out what I was doing. I hit a few that were mid trajectory fades early in the round, but were still playable. Later, I had my swing feeling nice and crisp, and the results were pretty good. On a well struck tee shot with no swaying I was seeing a high ball flight that was fairly straight. One shot had a very minor fade and the other had a small draw. I have the T3 on the highest setting (15*) and the ball flight looked to be borderline ballooning.

I didn't end up hitting the T3 from the turf today, but did hit a few balls Wednesday evening on the range. I am still struggling with hitting the ball chunky. I would strike one ball pure and then four fat. Way too much inconsistency to try it on course for the time being. I hope to get some more range time in this week and work on hitting balls from the turf with no swaying. I hope this cures my "fat shots", but time will tell. I hope to have a camerawoman there to capture some of the swings.

I played 18 on Saturday and had a tough time with the R11 on the front nine, I hit two massive slices which Is weird because all of my "poor shots" with this club have been fades. I finished the front nine got a quick drink and headed to the 10 hole. I took a few practice swings and tried to figure out what my problem was. Then it hit me!! For some reason today I'm holding the grip way to tight. I lessened my grip and everything came together. My drives on the back nine were phenomenal and boosted the confidence of the rest of my game (putting). I also played a short 9 hole course today. Used the driver twice and it was brilliant. I hit a 265yd (most of my drives are 235-240) drive on a 310 yd par four. It left me with a short wedge shot and a put for birdie (I made the putt wooohoo). The second time with the driver was on a 320yd dogleg. I hit an excellent drive about 240 that left with with a nice GW shots. I'm enjoying this club more and more because I'm hitting more and more fairways and the second shot isn't being hit from the woods.

I had a real off day with this club. Real off but it wasn't anything to do with the R11, in fact when I got my swing right I was flat out bombing it. I'm not sure any more forgiveness would've helped. But I hit the center of the face haha. This club really puts a sweet cracking sound on the shots.

I had a real off day with this club. Real off but it wasn't anything to do with the R11, in fact when I got my swing right I was flat out bombing it. I'm not sure any more forgiveness would've helped. But I hit the center of the face haha. This club really puts a sweet cracking sound on the shots.

The muted sound of the club now resonates confidence for me. It dosen't have that "pingy" sound I was used to. I didn't like the sound at first but I'm getting used to it/. After consistently hitting straight bombs with this club the thing could sound like a whoopy cushion and I wouldn't care.

Lol. I loved the sound. It just gives a nice crack. I love how you relate it to confidence because Ifeel the same. I love the immediate feedback the black face provides as well.

The muted sound of the club now resonates confidence for me. It dosen't have that "pingy" sound I was used to. I didn't like the sound at first but I'm getting used to it/. After consistently hitting straight bombs with this club the thing could sound like a whoopy cushion and I wouldn't care.

Lol. I loved the sound. It just gives a nice crack. I love how you relate it to confidence because Ifeel the same. I love the immediate feedback the black face provides as well.

That black face took me awhile too get used to as well. I have my ASP set to a closed face and I'm so used to having to manually closing my club face that I would manually close the face of the R11 and hook the club. I eventually got used to it by grounding the club at address and then gripping it so the club wasn't manually closed.

Note: When you find what works for you with these toys. Stick with it. I played a lot with my driver today after I thought to try something new. Needless to say, some balls were donated to the golf gods and some were downright nasty. Hey I am not a pro, once I figured that out things were great. I really like the accuracy of this when hit well. My misses mostly occured on the front 9 today, so the back was great. Did not shoot my 3w today, but I am looking forward to it.
Cheers

I'm going to mess with the ASP a little bit today. Ill keep that in mind for sure.

That black face took me awhile too get used to as well. I have my ASP set to a closed face and I'm so used to having to manually closing my club face that I would manually close the face of the R11 and hook the club. I eventually got used to it by grounding the club at address and then gripping it so the club wasn't manually closed.

I'm going to mess with the ASP a little bit today. Ill keep that in mind for sure.

I haven't messed with the ASP yet because I had an awful slice. I did mess with the weights and it's amazing what a lil 10g weight will do when placed in the toe, compared to the draw biased (heel weight) that I usually have it in. I'm considering seting the face to nuetral on the next dogleg that I can drive the bend. Given a good enough swing it should produce a nice fade.

Let us know what your results are when you mess with the settings.

You know it! Ill have to check that weight setting too. I'm going to use their webfit as a guide. I thought about messing with weights but I think Ill weight for a fitting on that part lol.

I haven't messed with the ASP yet because I had an awful slice. I did mess with the weights and it's amazing what a lil 10g weight will do when placed in the toe, compared to the draw biased (heel weight) that I usually have it in. I'm considering seting the face to nuetral on the next dogleg that I can drive the bend. Given a good enough swing it should produce a nice fade.

Let us know what your results are when you mess with the settings.

Many apologies if this has been brought up already. I've unfortunately fallen very behind in my reading of this thread. Last night at Golf Town, I noticed that TM has released a new version of the R11 fairway called the Ti (titanium). Just looked up the specs on the TM website and they are a bit different from the regular R11 fairways.

R11 Ti
3 wood 15* 175cc
5 wood 18* 165cc
7 wood 21* 165cc

R11
T3 wood 14* 155cc
3 wood 15.5* 155cc
4 wood 17* 135cc
5 wood 19* 135cc
7 wood 22* 135cc

So the Ti's are a bit bigger and have different lofts. Does anyone have any ideas why these are even being made? They all still feature the ASP and FCT. This new line seems kind of pointless, especially not that long after the release of the original R11 fairways. Anybody got any info?

Looking at Taylormade's web site, it looks like the TI versions have a "larger size, lighter weight, and draw bias".

My whole thing with the R11 series is that I think they're great, but they're for the slightly better golfer. Perhaps this is more to bridge between their burner and R11 series? I mean I love the burner woods, but I don't really need help getting the ball in the air, and my neutral shot ends up being a 15 yard draw/hook with them. I guess this is for those who love the R11 but could use a little more forgiveness.

Back