Delays Hit the Golf Industry

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED

That behemoth of a number is the total rounds of golf played in 2020. It is a number that we should find important not just because it was a 13.9% increase in rounds played from 2019, but if anything could be considered a positive effect of the pandemic then this is one of the few.

Social distancing became a must, and no sport does it better than golf.

But within the information recorded by Golf Datatech, there was another that stands out for the golf industry as a whole. Equipment sales were up 10.1% which was the highest jump since they began tracking this kind of information.

But with every boom, there are growing pains, and the golf industry has definitely been experiencing their share of those.

Continue reading...

Great write up @Jman. It is an interesting time in the global supply chain that is for certain. I don't think there has been a time in my life where demand for certain items skyrocketed so quickly in unison while demand for other items cratered at the same time.

Thanks for the write up, haven’t been able to tinker as much as usual lately due to items being back ordered, hopefully things can get back to normal in the middle or end of the year.

Demand increased drastically, while production came screeching to a halt due to regulations in many countries. Recipe for disaster.

Great article @Jman. Just last night as I was waiting for my kids to be done with practice I "accidentally" ended up in a golf store. During that 90 minute time, I overheard 3 separate couples talking to salesmen about buying their first clubs and starting out in golf this year = evidence that the game is continuing to grow.

Will be interesting to see how resale market affected. For most golfers a recent edition club can work fine especially if one can test either in store or over time. Nice article thanks

Interesting read. Wonder what the long term consequences will be from this boom.

Nice write up as usual @Jman . Mind blowing to hear over half a BILLION rounds being played! :oops:

Demand increased drastically, while production came screeching to a halt due to regulations in many countries. Recipe for disaster.

Based on the article there is a bit more there. Waiting on certain components, daily changes, etc.

@Jman Any insight about whether any manufacturers are looking at changing their supply chain or manufacturing process as a result of what they have experienced?

Really enjoyed this article James.

@Jman Any insight about whether any manufacturers are looking at changing their supply chain or manufacturing process as a result of what they have experienced?
There’s really not much to change, it truly has been the perfect storm of things. I would imagine though a lot of companies are being much more introspective when it comes to inventory.

Interesting that grips were holding up a lot of builds. Having been on Golf Prides website recently I noticed they are still out of stock on a lot of their product. That container ship losing all that cargo was huge.

Thanks for the insight that was a great read @Jman

Great article @Jman that is a crazy number of rounds. Almost 1.4million rounds per day. Awesome to see golf seeing an uptick!!!

Well written article and very timely. Currently experiencing this myself with some irons I ordered. Now at 6.5 weeks and still haven't even shipped. One real big problem is trade ins. If you trade in your clubs, you could be without any to use for a long period of time.

Nice reporting on an issue many of us have experienced. My new iron acquisition hit this issue, and I made changes to adapt. I also had my moments of consumer grumpy, less to do with delays and mostly due to continuous wrong information from a rep.

Interesting that grips were holding up a lot of builds. Having been on Golf Prides website recently I noticed they are still out of stock on a lot of their product. That container ship losing all that cargo was huge.

Thanks for the insight that was a great read @Jman

I’ll split a giant submarine with you and we can go container diving

Well done jman. Boom has been awesome and bad haha.

in my area, courses are booked up most of the day. Which stinks because every course has raised prices a bit. Buttttttt it’s awesome because many course have been doing some great work to the course to make them better.

equipment wise. It’s just like the places you mentioned. Takes some time to get stuff. For us it’s not so bad. We can play 12 months out of the year. I feel for my Canadian, NE and Midwest people’s though. Withcourses finally getting open they want to play before everything starts to close again by mid to latefall.

I went to Home Depot the other day. A sheet of plywood wood that 3 months ago was 15 dollars is now 40.

it made me wonder when that will happen in golf..

Crazy number of rounds played, even with the course closures the first month or two, depending on where you lived.

Great article as always @Jman.
I'll be interested hear the stories once the dust settles and years pass what golf equipment was on the One Apus
Based on a recent article, they've pulled off all the damaged containers and the ones that were not damaged are heading back to Long Beach to dock on 3/30.
Maybe that will ease up some constraints.

Watch in full screen:

Last edited:
i think social distancing during a round has fallen by the wayside...i'm seeing less of it pre/post-round as well.

I’m glad I have the grips I want in hand. I’ve read that Ping is essentially out of stock for every shaft except their own Alta and Tour shafts right now. I believe my order was just to ship grips in box and then the shop will install for me so I hope that means mine will be on time within the 4 weeks quoted.

Back