CONTEST 2021 NFL Draft Contest and Thread

Im not referring specifically to the Packers im referring to all teams particularly teams with good quarterbacks that are contenders. Its always been obvious you need a solid backup. Go back to the Bills and Frank Reich. They invested a third round pick in him and it worked out. Depth at quarterback is important and better teams in particular picking later in even the first round might be wise to invest in someone who could come in if need be, be a quality backup and possibly someday become a starter. View attachment 9005908
I don't disagree you need a serviceable backup like Bridgewater coming in for Brees. They had Matt Flynn for awhile who was good at GB. The issue is they knew Rodgers would freak out because he always has and they moved up in the first round to get Love instead of another WR or someone your HOF QB wanted. He has never in 16 years got what he wanted so he has said multiple times, and then this dude wasn't even the backup it was Boyle. Just a weird situation.

You're right, Rodgers was picked 24th, Love was still sitting there at 26th :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But thy didn't move up. I think that is what triggered him. Also Love is nowhere nearly as highly rated as Rodgers was. I am just saying I can see why Rodgers is pissed, and they are different situations. They actively moved up and traded away picks to get Love, Rodgers just fell in their lap.

If I was a GM there are a few positions I would never draft in the first round.

Quarterbacks and running backs.. I think history has show that its a waste of money.

Quarterbacks and running backs.. I think history has show that its a waste of money.

For QBs? :oops:

The prudent strategy is to wait for Adam Gase to ruin them and then pick them up for pennies on the dollar.

ehh on QB I am not sure. Rodgers, Manning, Marino,, Elway, Big Ben, Cam Newton(did well in Carolina), but for RB I would agree.

The prudent strategy is to wait for Adam Gase to ruin them and then pick them up for pennies on the dollar.
I have no stats in front me or data, but if I was betting I would say the list of starting QBs in the NFL in game 1 of this upcoming season has more first rounders than not.

I have no stats in front me or data, but if I was betting I would say the list of starting QBs in the NFL in game 1 of this upcoming season has more first rounders than not.
I’d have to imagine that is the case. But if Darnold thrives in Carolina, I will stick to my aforementioned strategy!

I’d have to imagine that is the case. But if Darnold thrives in Carolina, I will stick to my aforementioned strategy!
you can just reference Tannehill at Tennessee vs Miami

I don't disagree you need a serviceable backup like Bridgewater coming in for Brees. They had Matt Flynn for awhile who was good at GB. The issue is they knew Rodgers would freak out because he always has and they moved up in the first round to get Love instead of another WR or someone your HOF QB wanted. He has never in 16 years got what he wanted so he has said multiple times, and then this dude wasn't even the backup it was Boyle. Just a weird situation.
On another note im assuming you are a Miami Hurricanes fan. Everything i have seen leads me to believe the Bills got a pretty good player at in Gregory Rousseau at 30 in the draft and hearing his interviews sounds like agood kid who will do well in Buffalo. Did you watch him play ? Im happy with the pick

you can just reference Tannehill at Tennessee vs Miami
I’m sorry! I have a buddy in Miami and I truly thought the wound was healed after successfully tanking for Tua!

On another note im assuming you are a Miami Hurricanes fan. Everything i have seen leads me to believe the Bills got a pretty good player at in Gregory Rousseau at 30 in the draft and hearing his interviews sounds like agood kid who will do well in Buffalo. Did you watch him play ? Im happy with the pick
Raw. Quite raw. But has major upside. He benefitted by what was around him, but fell when game tape was examined.

I’m really surprised how early Oweh went in the draft. Reminds me of the Packers taking Rashan Gary.

Raw. Quite raw. But has major upside. He benefitted by what was around him, but fell when game tape was examined.
Not really sure who they wanted in that spot. Rumors that they wanted Etienne as a home run hitter in the backfield which i was hoping for. They do need a better pass rush and i like that he has a major upside. At 30 i guess its tough to get someone who can have an immediate impact on a team that has a pretty solid roster returning but if he can develop and contribute at all that will be great. Still hoping for a game breaking running back hopefully Beane has his eyes on one . He has to said the Bills need a home run hitter because we dont have one. Wouldnt mind giving Jaret Patterson a shot i really believe some team will get a great player if they take him. Just want him to go somewhere that he will get a legitimate chance.

I definitely agree regarding the number of first round selections starting at QB. I just did a list and I came up with at least 20, but that includes 4 of the QBs selected yesterday. Even without some of those, the number is still significant.

He is an amazing kid. He is raw like JB said, but he has talent and is a freak athlete. Dude came in after playing TE and WR and DE in high school at 220lbs, bulked up worked his butt off and had 15.5 sacks in like 9 games in 2019. He needs to develop but his work ethic, character, and ability are there. Phillips is more polished but I think Greg has a higher ceiling.

Yep... Name the best QBs ever and what round were they drafted in? Manning was great but is is not the norm in my opinion. But, I guess I should clarify. High in the first round is really what I was thinking.. If you can get QB late ok. But never a top ten pick..

Yep... Name the best QBs ever and what round were they drafted in? Manning was great but is is not the norm. QBs bust more often than the succeed..
Those are outliers though. Look at those same “busts” in all QBs taken outside of the first round and it paints a much clearer picture.

And if you take modern era QBs as a whole, the success level of post first round vs in it is crazy lopsided. Always will be diamonds in the rough.

Those are outliers though. Look at those same “busts” in all QBs taken outside of the first round and it paints a much clearer picture.

And if you take modern era QBs as a whole, the success level of post first round vs in it is crazy lopsided. Always will be diamonds in the rough.

Maybe, I will admit to not being as big of a football fan as I used to be.. And maybe now that college is playing a bit more pro style offense wise. Maybe QBs are better prepared.

But just name a few first rounded that I would consider busts..... There are probably more I am not thinking off...

Daunte Caulpepper
Andre Ware
Matt Lienart
Rex Grossman
Bryon Leftwich
Patrick Ramsey
Chad Pennington
Kerry Collins
Brady Quinn
Vince Young
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Jim Drunkenmiller
Tim Couch
Cade McNown
JaMarcus Russell
Ryan Leaf
Andrew Luck - Was very good. Should not have been a bust. But he is in my mind.

Maybe, I will admit to not being as big of a football fan as I used to be.. And maybe now that college is playing a bit more pro style offense wise. Maybe QBs are better prepared.

But just name a few first rounded that I would consider busts..... There are probably more I am not thinking off...

Daunte Caulpepper
Andre Ware
Matt Lienart
Rex Grossman
Bryon Leftwich
Patrick Ramsey
Chad Pennington
Kerry Collins
Brady Quinn
Vince Young
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Jim Drunkenmiller
Tim Couch
Cade McNown
JaMarcus Russell
Ryan Leaf
Okay now count all the later round QBs and see how they fared.

and there are a few QBs on that list that were quite good.

Okay now count all the later round QBs and see how they fared.

I am not smart enough to do that.. haha.. But the cost and investment is exponentially lower as well right? Lets say you not take them in the top ten then lol.

I am not smart enough to do that.. haha.. But the cost and investment is exponentially lower as well right?
Yes and no. Salaries are slotted, but if you have to continue to use mid and late round picks on QBs in the hopes to get a good one, you will have to go through about 100 for every 1 that pans out based on only looking back 15 years.

Daunte Caulpepper
Andre Ware
Matt Lienart
Rex Grossman
Bryon Leftwich
Patrick Ramsey
Chad Pennington
Kerry Collins
Brady Quinn
Vince Young
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Jim Drunkenmiller
Tim Couch
Cade McNown
JaMarcus Russell
Ryan Leaf
andrew luck was a "bust"?????

Im going to get wings with @JDax and watch the draft. This could get very interesting.

Back