Recent content by Gusset

1. G

GHIN & Oregon Golf Association

There's a lot to like about Tri Mountain. I find it pretty difficult and a good challenge. A lot of water holes, and most holes have some very heavy rough to contend with if you go too far off line...if you hit it off-line, watch your ball flight! Don't turn away in disgust or you may not find...
  2. G

Tee shot placement

I've always thought the angles can have an impact; if tour pros see a benefit, there must be something to it, though of course if I can't hit my intended line it doesn't matter. In the past couple of years, though, I've been taking a different approach to tee placement that I think I got from...
  3. G

After two years I broke 100 twice in one month!

Congratulations! Now that things have started to click and you're past this first hurdle, you'll no doubt start creeping further down into the mid, then lower, 90s...great fun!
  4. G

Switching to a "quality" ball - When?

I decided to move from surlyn to urethane when I started noticing that my partial wedge shots often roll out more than I'd like. I wasn't willing to pay $50/dozen, but decided I could tolerate paying in the $30 range. Took me a bit to settle on a specific ball (OnCore Vero X1, green), and I've...
  5. G

HIO: How close have you come?

The ball came to rest further from the pin than most of y'all, so maybe it doesn't count. But given where the ball mark is, this is probably the closest I'll come to to dunking it. Lewis River Golf Course #7, playing 151, 3/17/24.
  6. G

Order of importance… (to you).

1. Weather. I'm pretty flexible and will enjoy playing in most anything (it's the PNW, weather can be a crap shoot), but if I see good weather in the extended forecast in spring or fall I'll burn PTO to get out. So I guess that evidence means it's most important to me. 2. Playing partners. I...
  7. G

Masters favorites??

I can't see anyone but Scottie having the best odds with the way he's playing right now. After him, I'd say Niemann and Rahm.
  8. G

How often do you play par 3 course?

I play par-3 courses when it's an opportunity to join someone I know who's playing one. Beyond that, not at all. Shoot, even at Bandon I only play The Preserve because my brother likes to get a round in there before/after hitting one of the regulation courses. I do enjoy it, though...great test...
  9. G

Once you tee the ball up, how long does it take you to hit the ball?

Most shots, 20 seconds, give or take a few...couple practice swings, address the ball, a few waggles, then go. Once in a while, if there are multiple divots in front of the ball, I may forget which one was indicating my line and step back to re-acquire it. :confused: If that happens, it'll be...
  10. G

Front door to first tee, how long does it take?

Probably 45 minutes in total...30-35 minute drive, then 10-15 minutes to unload, put on shoes, hit the pro shop, and walk to the tee.
  11. G

Putting on Slow Greens and getting over the mental block

I have the same struggle, and don't claim to have solved it...but I shift my hands farther up on the grip on slower greens, and maybe stand up a little straighter, to increase the swing radius a bit. Feel isn't quite as good, but the same swing with this adjustment puts a bit more speed into the...
  12. G

If you are not a member anywhere - what makes your “most played” course the one you play more often..?

With their rate card and playing after 1PM to get the twilight rate, it's the cheapest par 72 round to be found within 30 miles, so it's mostly economic. But if it weren't a good challenging course in decent condition (130 slope), some other course would be my most-played.
  13. G

How much LIV have you watched?

I don't seek it out or set my calendar to it, but when it's on and I'm playing couch potato, I'll put it on, often in preference to PGAT (prefer LPGA to both, but I don't have the channels for that usually)...not out of any great deal of spite or caring about the team aspect as yet, but LIV...
  14. G

How Old Is Too Old?

I'm way off the beaten path on this one. I have a driver, wedge, and chipper that are a year or two old, but I play some pretty old irons (Tommy Armour 845Ti). I know I could benefit from the advantages of new clubs, and I'll probably move on to something new in the next couple of years. But for...
  15. G

Pulling putts

Last year I started watching the putter head during the swing, instead of locking eyes on the ball, then continue watching the putter head after contact. Unfortunately this won't help my green reading ;-) , but I don't pull or push it nearly as much as I used to.
Back