2008-2009 NHL Season / Fantasy

DDBowdoin

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Had to start this thread, it was calling to me. The season is roughly almost a month in and so far I've seen some great action. Of course, I will be pulling for my team... the Montreal Canadiens.

Predictions:

East

Atlantic
New York Rangers - goaltending wins championships and the Rangers have one of the finest goaltenders in the game in Lundqvist. Overall team defense has improved and the addition of offensive powers Nasland and Zherdev will add to the goals for column.

Northeast
Canadiens will take this pretty easily. Offensively skilled and probably the fastest team in the NHL. Carey Price will have his first full season as a starting goaltender and should develop early into a team leader. They won't have anyone putting up 100 points but 5-7 players should be in the 60-70pt range, making them the highest scoring team this season.

Southeast
This will come down to the wire between the Hurricanes and the Capitals. My number one fantasy draft pick, Alexander Ovechkin, has had a relatively poor and slow start. Although he has seen a slow start, I expect him to come into form soon and explode in the points column. Until this happens expect a tight race between the canes and the caps. The caps will also have issues in net. Huet has a history of losing form in the post season.

West

Central
... an easy one, Detroit. Hossa, Datysuk, and Zetterberg = hard to beat

Northwest
Tough division here. I'm going out on a limb here but I believe the Flames will take this. They have a strong back line and the season rests on the shoulders of Kiprusoff.

Pacific
Another REALLY strong division. Joe Thorton is a great talent in this league but he has yet to show the leadership needed to take him team deep into the playoffs. The addition of Boyle to the back line will add some defensive talent. The loss of Campbell will be a testy situation... you can't argue against the benefits of having an offensive minded defenseman.

Conference Champs
East - Montreal
West Detroit

2008-2009 Stanley Cup Winner
Detroit Red Wings

of course, as you all know, these are simply my opinions and predictions. I welcome your opinions and look forward to the rest of the season.

Lets try and make up some kind of game/contest and try to set up a small prize giveaway

man oh man, I am the lone NHL nut here

I'm sad

There are a few I believe.

no you're not alone. i just didn't want to associate with a Habs fan. :D
not to mention you picked the Flames over the 'Nucks!

haha... I don't see many games out on the west just because they get done around 1AM

I like Luongo & Kessler, fun to watch

jealous! I'm watching Ottawa and the Caps on my center ice

I'll catch some of the canucks game on later on

wOOt! new avatar, haha! i'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. :silly:

i've got Luongo in my Fantasy pool, he'd better do it!

thats my favorite beer! Molson Canadian... 'The Taste of the Game'

lol. just got home. this guy did pretty good tonight! 4-zipperoooo!

Image25.jpg

Martin Brodeur, I cannot believe it!!!! With him out for 4 months, I cannot see the Devils doing to well in his absence. I mean he is, and has been their starting goalie for as long as I can remember.

I'm hoping my Stars can continue their success from last year, but seeing how it is going so far things are not looking up for my Stars.

Although some of my other favorite teams are starting strong. Mainly the Sharks, and Rangers.

I think the Red Wings are still the team to beat out west, but I think the Sharks have a good chance of beating the Wings out, but it will be a tough series to get rid of those Wings.

In the east I think the Rangers and the Sabers are looking at the title spot. And with Martin Brodeur out, the Devils will have a tough time getting out of what they dig themselves into with out Brodeur out for 4 months. Tampa may get close to the top, but I don't think they will get that title. But overall I tink that the East will be a lot closer of a race for the title then in the west.

lol. just got home. this guy did pretty good tonight! 4-zipperoooo!

Image25.jpg

first off, nice seats!

second, forget his name but I watched the fight last night on NHL on the Fly, there were some haymakers thrown in that one

Bob Gainey is hunting down Kovalchuck... that man in a Habs uniform with Kovalev and Plekanec on his sides will be UNSTOPPABLE!!!!

thats a dream come true for me

little OT but did anyone see the guy from NY Islanders score 2 overtime goals? Man was that funny.

FLAMES ALL THE WAY! I love bertuzzi playing on the flames, simply amazing.

did the first one actually go in... I didnt catch the whole clip on NHL network

Hockey Night in Canada = The Greatest Show Ever

we just recently started getting it here in the states via the NHL Network. This weekend was a nice game, unfortunately my habs got lit up by the leafs. I thought it was touching to see the respect shown to Canadien armed forces. It was also special to see the connection Don Cherry has with the troops. He became very emotional while telling the story of a canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan.

Im watching the Kings and Stars right now. Its almost brought a tear to my eye to see Avery in a Stars jersey. He was one of our more popular players, I dont get why they traded him.

the Ducks released Brian Burke today, paving his way to be GM of the Toronto Maple Laffs .

Im watching the Kings and Stars right now. Its almost brought a tear to my eye to see Avery in a Stars jersey. He was one of our more popular players, I dont get why they traded him.

because he is terrible! he's a stain on the game... if he were more skilled it'd be ok but he's an instigator and that's it. He runs his mouth then skates off.

because he is terrible! he's a stain on the game... if he were more skilled it'd be ok but he's an instigator and that's it. He runs his mouth then skates off.

That being said, he was still the most popular King, and we have struggled for attendance over the last few years. He has to be one of the better agitators to ever play the game, that was a classic when he got into Brodeurs head. Besides he is just talking trash, its not like he is taking runs at people from behind and ending careers.

true true...

well, you have a star in Kopitar but you need a little more than that. Is LA a hockey city? I know you had Gretz, but other than that...

true true...

well, you have a star in Kopitar but you need a little more than that. Is LA a hockey city? I know you had Gretz, but other than that...

Kopitar is great, so is Brown,Frolov and this Simmonds kid might turn out to be all right. Were not as bad as I thought we would be this year. LA was a hockey town in the 90s and up until about 4 years ago. Sell outs were pretty common. It still is nothing compared to the following in Canada and the New England area.

yeah, you definitely have some young talent. time will tell what happens with their development. The Kings are like the Bruins (which are not my fav team but I watch a lot of their games) in the sense that they lack a major name goalie. Thomas is playing well, but he was 31 when he first made the NHL... he's not a starting goalie.

I would watch more games if we had Milan Lucic like the Bruins do. I love those gritty players.

Back