2010 HSBC Women's Champions [spoilers]

No, no, don't be sorry. I fully understand the intent of the spoilers in the thread title.

It just caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting to see it, I guess.

It was my fault.

That being said, that cute little Miyazato can play some golf.

She is really playing well this year. I would like to see her and Suzann at the top of a few leaderboards again this year battling it out. Since putting the Miyazaki in her driver, Suzann is hitting the ball great off the tee.

She is really playing well this year. I would like to see her and Suzann at the top of a few leaderboards again this year battling it out. Since putting the Miyazaki in her driver, Suzann is hitting the ball great off the tee.

Yep. I agree. And I didn't know she went w/ a Miyazaki shaft. Interesting.

On a side note. I was watching day two coverage, and the camera was doing a tight shot of Patterson teeing off. It was an errant tee shot. You could see and hear Patterson yell the f bomb after it. (why they didn't edit that out, I have no idea)

I kind of chuckled a bit. I know you pay attention to some of the girls behavior a bit closer than I ever have, or do, but is Patterson on your list of "fly off the handle" girls who gets a little carried away at times?

BTW, it caught me by surprise but it didn't bother me. I know it looks and sounds bad coming from a pretty girl hitting a golf ball, however.

Everyone is free think of things like that what they will.

I, in no way want to incinuate that Patterson is a "bad" girl, as far as behavior goes. That's the last of my intent here.

Suzann for a few years was known for losing her temper on the course. Last year she really got it under control for the most part. I saw that yesterday as well and it reminded me of the old Suzann.

Petterson is great for the LPGA. She has a look that they are after (according to many), she is incredible talent, and she is a fierce competitor. Partner that with the fact she has Nike behind her fully and their desire to be a big supporter of the LPGA with their signings and you have a great thing for ladies golf.

Suzann for a few years was known for losing her temper on the course. Last year she really got it under control for the most part. I saw that yesterday as well and it reminded me of the old Suzann.

Petterson is great for the LPGA. She has a look that they are after (according to many), she is incredible talent, and she is a fierce competitor. Partner that with the fact she has Nike behind her fully and their desire to be a big supporter of the LPGA with their signings and you have a great thing for ladies golf.

Absolutely. I don't want to ignore the pink elephant in the room here, so I'm going to say it.

Do you think it's partly because the LPGA needs/wants white, good looking girls to do well? And that's partly the reason for girls like Patterson, Gulbis, and Creamer to get good backing from big time sponsors?

Absolutely. I don't want to ignore the pink elephant in the room here, so I'm going to say it.

Do you think it's partly because the LPGA needs/wants white, good looking girls to do well? And that's partly the reason for girls like Patterson, Gulbis, and Creamer to get good backing from big time sponsors?

No, not really. Most of the players from overseas have big time sponsors as well. It just so happens that most are not as well known over here. I mean Ochoa has tons of sponsors including Ping and Lacoste.

No, not really. Most of the players from overseas have big time sponsors as well. It just so happens that most are not as well known over here. I mean Ochoa has tons of sponsors including Ping and Lacoste.

I understand that.

I guess this is an issue for the overall health of the LPGA as a whole. It's been talked about for a few years.

Where are the good, young American woman golfers?

Are the Korean and Japanese girls just that much better? Or are they that much more dedicated to the sport? Or both?

I've done a fair amount of reading on this very subject, and most will say that the Korean and Japanese girls live and are raised in such a different way. If the parents want their girls to be golfers, then the girls lives, starting at a very young age, will be focused on golf. They'll sacrifice school work, social events, etc etc. to be a great golfer.

It's just a different environment altogether.

It is, but I think we have some great young American golfers out there. Lets not forget that Michelle Wie is American and is only in her 2nd season.

It is, but I think we have some great young American golfers out there. Lets not forget that Michelle Wie is American and is only in her 2nd season.

You bet.

And, I know, JB, that a lot of golf fans, and particularily of the LPGA, want to almost ignore the big elephant in the room (about the Korean/Japanese girls) and basically only talk about the Wie's, the Creamer's, the Gulbis's, the Patterson's, etc etc.

Why? Because they're either American and/or they look like we do.

Allow me to be brutally honest for a moment.

The American girls need to step up and start winning some tournaments, or at least be a factor in them.

The Solheim victory was great last year. However, I chuckled at the thought of the American girls being the best golfers in the world. Because, right now, they're not.

Yes. It's on now.

Is it just me, or is the commentary awful?

it's dreadful. so boring.

Yes. Terrible.

But I can't figure out why. It's not like the Australian announcers are saying anything wrong or stupid.

I'm beginning to think we get used to certain voices and when we don't have then, it throws us off.

I'm thinking Diane would like a bee equivalent of the red ant rule.

Re: 2010 HSBC Women's Champions [spoilers]

it is kind of frustrating when the female announcer is shocked by the fire ant rule.

I'm no rules guru but the minute they said ants....I knew she'd get a drop.

I'm watching and find it quite exciting. I haven't really paid attention to the commentators. This one is going down to the wire.

I'm watching and find it quite exciting. I haven't really paid attention to the commentators. This one is going down to the wire.

Do you think it was won by Ai or did Kerr just flat out choke? Bogey on the last 2 holes after having a 1 stroke lead after 16.

Do you think it was won by Ai or did Kerr just flat out choke? Bogey on the last 2 holes after having a 1 stroke lead after 16.

Memories of the Women's U.S. Open, anyone?

Memories of the Women's U.S. Open, anyone?

Not just the Open last year either, she had the lead going into a few tournaments in the second half of the season and ended up losing it. Although Kerr definitely blew it on 17 with that tee shot, Ai had a fantastic back nine and played a beautiful shot into 18 so I think she may have won it either way. You knew once she got her first win over with (the Evian last year) that she would start emerging as one of the best on the tour. I am glad to see her finally showing what she can do. I think she could be a great personality for the tour.

We have had a great start to the LPGA season so far! Unfortunately, there won't be another LPGA tournament until March 25th. Most of the ladies are heading to Australia, I wish they were televising those tournaments.

Yeah almost a full month off is tough.

I think she blew it again. 1 shot lead with 2 holes to go and you go bogey bogey. Im no fan of hers at all, so I was quite happy, especially when someone like Ai was taking the win who seems full of happiness, personality, and most of all fun.

And, I know, JB, that a lot of golf fans, and particularily of the LPGA, want to almost ignore the big elephant in the room (about the Korean/Japanese girls) and basically only talk about the Wie's, the Creamer's, the Gulbis's, the Patterson's, etc etc.

Why? Because they're either American and/or they look like we do.

Allow me to be brutally honest for a moment.

The American girls need to step up and start winning some tournaments, or at least be a factor in them.

The Solheim victory was great last year. However, I chuckled at the thought of the American girls being the best golfers in the world. Because, right now, they're not.

I am sorry, but this was just driving me crazy. Her name is Suzann Petterson, not Patterson. Also, she is from Norway.

I disagree with the comment that they have to be American. I think people just need to be familiar with them, not matter where they are from. I think players like Petterson, Ai Miyazato, Lorena Ochoa, Jiyai Shin, Anna Nordqvist etc. can all become players people are interested in as long as they are playing well and at the top of the leaderboard week in and week out. That is going to be one of the pluses of the smaller schedule this year. All the big names will be playing every tournament. Hopefully we can see some great rivalries develop!

I am sorry, but this was just driving me crazy. Her name is Suzann Petterson, not Patterson. Also, she is from Norway.

I disagree with the comment that they have to be American. I think people just need to be familiar with them, not matter where they are from. I think players like Petterson, Ai Miyazato, Lorena Ochoa, Jiyai Shin, Anna Nordqvist etc. can all become players people are interested in as long as they are playing well and at the top of the leaderboard week in and week out. That is going to be one of the pluses of the smaller schedule this year. All the big names will be playing every tournament. Hopefully we can see some great rivalries develop!

HAHAHA! NG makes another friend!

I enjoy watching the LPGA Tour and am familiar with many of the players. I thought Ai played some great golf to win the HSBC. It would have been nice to see Julie win, not because she is an American but because of her age (she would have been the oldest woman to win an LPGA Tour event).

I don't really care where a player is from, I enjoy watching great golf.

Are the shorts shorter at the Asian venues? They seem shorter.

Kevin

I'm well aware of where she's from. And, try to forgive me for being a letter off on the name. It won't happen again.

****EDIT*******
And, for the most part, I disagree w/ what you said. If they aren't American, or American looking, I just believe that it's going to be hard for the average person to "connect" and/or get interested in the LPGA.

This really hasn't been argued. The LPGA knows and is well aware of that issue.

Last edited:
Back