2013 Bridgestone e5 Golf Ball Forum Testing Thread

I don't see them as being equal to a tour type ball but they so far are a great ball. Alot of golfers don't need a $50 a dozen ball and so far the E5 to me is a great alternative. I haven't tried one off the driver yet but I'm ready too. I played the E6 last year some and if these drive like them then they will probably boot the ProVs outa the bag.

Dam - if a tour ball wasn't an option, would you game these or the e6's as your every day ball. I'm trying to figure out what fits my game the best.

Dam - if a tour ball wasn't an option, would you game these or the e6's as your every day ball. I'm trying to figure out what fits my game the best.

I've never tried the e6 for more than a few holes, but if a tour ball wasn't an option, I would probably game either the e5 or the Gamer V2. Both have some things better than the other though the urethane cover on the e5 for under $30 keeps bringing me back. I honestly can't stress enough to anyone who likes Tour balls but can't afford them: give these a try. In my experience they really are a great alternative for the price.

I know you didnt ask me but I will chime in. I found the E6 to be a great ball but really came up very short on approach shots and chips. No spin at all. I havent put the E5 up on the woods and long irons yet but all indications show me that itd be the better ball for me. JMO

I know what you're saying. I still like these balls a lot, they are my gamer during the cold months. For the price point they are at, they are a very good option for someone who wants a urethane cover. I just don't really see the comparison to Tour balls in my time with them.

You're right. They are not a tour level ball. I do think they are an adequate equivalent for somebody who either doesn't want to spend your ball prices, or can go on a lost ball spree (this guy ).

I will answer this as well. I play a draw, and very much to play to into it. I need that shape to get me to where I want. I found that the e6 does what it says and cuts that side spin to straighten out the flight. That causes me to lose some distance.

I've never tried the e6 for more than a few holes, but if a tour ball wasn't an option, I would probably game either the e5 or the Gamer V2. Both have some things better than the other though the urethane cover on the e5 for under $30 keeps bringing me back. I honestly can't stress enough to anyone who likes Tour balls but can't afford them: give these a try. In my experience they really are a great alternative for the price.

Just another reason why I cannot wait to try the RBZu that comes out in a few weeks!

Here's a question I want to ask in each of the 3 threads.

Given the discounted price of the previous E line of balls, if/what would justify you paying a premium for the 2013 line over the previous version?

I couldn't tell enough difference in them between the 2012 version. If the 2012 versions were $15.99 on sale somewhere I would probably just get them. These do seem more durable so that's a plus, but if I blind tested them against a 2012 e5 I probably wouldn't be able to tell you which is the newer ball.

Given the discounted price of the previous E line of balls, if/what would justify you paying a premium for the 2013 line over the previous version?

I think this years ball feels better and spins a little more than last years. The feel is worth it to me

THPing on Tapatalk

I couldn't tell enough difference in them between the 2012 version. If the 2012 versions were $15.99 on sale somewhere I would probably just get them. These do seem more durable so that's a plus, but if I blind tested them against a 2012 e5 I probably wouldn't be able to tell you which is the newer ball.

I think this years ball feels better and spins a little more than last years. The feel is worth it to me

THPing on Tapatalk

Appreciate the thoughts guys. I know its hard to give apples to apples comparison during the winter months, but I appreciate the honesty. FWIW, I dont believe there is a '2012' version, just 2011 and the 2013 version you are testing and the 2011 line is retailing for 21.99 in the stores around me. The B330 line was the line Bstone updated in 2012.

The new packaging on the E series looks awesome!

The new packaging on the E series looks awesome!

Agree. Best one yet. Now they need to figure out how to make packaging help us play better.

Titleist needs new ProV1 packaging.

THPing on Tapatalk

I definitely like the new packaging as well. I think it will help it stand out on the shelf a lot better too!!

As far as the argument between if this is a tour level ball or not, I tend to agree that there isn't a $20 difference between the e5 and a tour ball. I also think the e5 may perform a little different if you have a really high swing speed and you may lose some distance in that respect. But for me with a driver SS between 95-99, it performs as good or better to any tour level golf ball I have ever played. If you don't have a wicked slice or hook off the tee I think this ball is very good option. I do wish they would make it in Optic Yellow since I prefer that over white. It also seems to me that when I go buy golf balls the Yellow version is always sold out while they always seem to have the white one of whatever I may be wanting to buy.

Dual dimples maybe. I have to see what happens outside. But I thought the dual dimples did make difference.

Dual dimples maybe. I have to see what happens outside. But I thought the dual dimples did make difference.

Didn't the 2011 model have dual dimples? I know the 2013 model has a slightly shallower dual dimple design.

As of right now, nothing would make me pay for the 2013 version over the 2011 version. To me they are almost the exact same ball, with very slight differences.

They certainly are, I could not get photobucket to cooperate this morning when I made my post before heading out to the course. Here is a picture of the e-5, the first ball was used for 2 rounds, the middle for 1 round and the right side ball is brand new. You can tell they do hold up pretty well as I tried to take a picture of the worse wear on each of the balls. These scuffs are from clubs only as I did not hit any cart paths or trees. The first ball has so many dots on is as I usually play a yellow ball and like being able to easily tell my ball apart from my playing partners.

I am going to add this picture to my original post in this thread but I wanted to be sure it is seen by those who are farther along in the thread.

a_zps815a43d2.jpg

Didn't the 2011 model have dual dimples? I know the 2013 model has a slightly shallower dual dimple design.

Yes dual dimples came out on the e series in 2011.

I really feel like this ball gets looked over because it doesn't come In optic yellow and is only a two piece.

To be honest, I do wish that they offered a yellow version, too.

I'll be posting some info this weekend about the 2013 E5 that I have in hand.

To be honest, I do wish that they offered a yellow version, too.

I'll be posting some info this weekend about the 2013 E5 that I have in hand.

I really do too, I use the optic yellow B330-RX full time but this winter I have bought some yellow e-6's instead of the e-5's I usually do because of the color. I definitely enjoy playing the e-5 over the e-6 simply because of the added spin.

I know this is crazy but the e5 would have to come in optic yellow for me to game it full time. The performance seems to be only a half step behing the B330-RX but I would much rather play the yellow. Should I be able to find the e5 in yellow I would probably pocket the difference and give up the slight performance difference.

First, a little background so those with a different game can put my observations in context. I am almost 70 years old and have been playing at a single digit handicap for 35 years. I am now a short hitter (SS 80 - 85) and rely on short game control for scoring. I have been playing Titleist ProV1 for years and have switched to the Bridgestone B330 RXS recently and indicated this in my application for this process.

I must admit I was a bit disappointed when I opened the package to see the e5 on the box. I ws hoping for a new B330 RXS OR a completely blank box. I may be a ball snob but I like playing with the best (for me) ball I can find. Not that cost is not an issue but I do not lose many balls and would rather play the "best" ball with a little "experience" than play a "new" ball every shot/hole/round.

I have had the opportunity to practice my short game several times and play 18 holes with this ball: here are my impressions so far.

Driver: I played in a substantial wind but I believe this ball is a little longer and maybe a little higher flight than my preferred balls.

3 Wood: Likewise, I think I got a little extra yardage from this ball. It was easy to get in the air too.

Hybrids: I did not hit too many hybrids and when I did they were not hit well so I really cannot comment on them but expect that they perform similarly to my experience with the fairway wood.

Short irons/wedges: I did not find the approach shots to perform as well (spin) as the 330RXS or ProV1. Some of this may be a result of the wind but my better shots seemed to "run-on" as apposed to hop-and-stop.

Chipping: both during my round and during several practice sessions (during which I conducted head-to-head tests) my experience has been similar to my wedge shot experience. I do not seem to be able to control the distance as well with the test ball.

Putter: here is where sound and "feel" are so important to me. This ball feels and sounds just like the premium balls to me. This was actually my first experience striking this ball so I had high hopes after the initial disappointment at seeing the package.

Speaking of the package, it is eye-catching. That being said I buy my golf equipment based on my personal performance experience and am not much impressed by packaging.

So, in summary: this ball feels good, looks great, seems to have some distance advantage, has urethane durability (fair) but does not spin for me.

I need to get more on-course time this week with a couple of more short game sessions and see if my initial impressions are confirmed.

Thanks B'stone and THP for the opportunity to test this product and thanks for reading. "I'll be back."

I just got done hitting the e5 against a TaylorMade Burner LDP with a Nike Covert. I will post the numbers up in a bit.

Interesting to say the least. More thoughts to come.

So they did. In that case I will play through the e5s I have and can find

Back