2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would add a 5+ set as the last work set once a week so you can gauge your progress. If you can get more than 15 reps, it's time to move the weight up by 10lbs. If 10-15 reps, 5lbs. Less than 10, 2.5 lb increase.

I'm going for a new PR in the squats and deads this morning. hell of a way to start a Saturday.

I'm going for a new PR in the squats and deads this morning. hell of a way to start a Saturday.

Good luck with the twofer. That's a fantastic Saturday.

I would say less reps and fewer work sets will make you stronger. Maybe not thinner. But definitely strong. 3 sets. 5 reps. 4-8 minutes of rest between sets.

Seconding this as well.

New 5 rep maxes in the squat and the deadlift. I almost blew an O-ring on the pulls. I didn't use straps for the deads, which I feel good about. It was a good thing I had chalk.

Awesome!

Nice work. Y was a sh%$ show today with all sorts of kids on break, so was kind of a goofy workout, but did get to a top set of 255x10 on squats. Next week I will go with fewer reps and higher weight. Noticed I am starting to need a longer break between sets.

Nice work. Y was a sh%$ show today with all sorts of kids on break, so was kind of a goofy workout, but did get to a top set of 255x10 on squats. Next week I will go with fewer reps and higher weight. Noticed I am starting to need a longer break between sets.
3 sets of 5 reps.

Officially joined Gold Gym's Express yesterday and so did my wife. Figured it was much cheaper than buying all the equipment, plus wife bought the membership for Christmas. Pretty pumped, great equipment, nice locker room and the staff was friendly when we went there. One of the things I told them was I am really wanting to get into weight lifting to gain muscle and strength and have a trainer teach me. They said they could defiantly do that and will be there to help with our goals. Can't wait to get my new workout program on.

Nice. Around this area the decent gyms are over 60/month, so I'm saving the money to build a home gym (~$1200).

Officially joined Gold Gym's Express yesterday and so did my wife. Figured it was much cheaper than buying all the equipment, plus wife bought the membership for Christmas. Pretty pumped, great equipment, nice locker room and the staff was friendly when we went there. One of the things I told them was I am really wanting to get into weight lifting to gain muscle and strength and have a trainer teach me. They said they could defiantly do that and will be there to help with our goals. Can't wait to get my new workout program on.

I have some strong opinions on what is actually the best way to gain strength. If it were me, and it's not, I would have a bunch of questions ready to ask the trainers before I paid for anything.

Tired of feeling like a fatty. Bulk is over next week and I'm very excited to get back to where I was.

You can definitely stay on a barbell program Hawkstar. Just don't eat as much. The gainz will be slower, but you can still get stronger.

Yea I'm going to and I will take the slower progress in stride. Main goal will just be to not lose what I've gained there. May cut down volume if performance necessitates it, but nothing is set in stone until I see how I feel.

Go 3x5's. Get rid of the extra sets. Also, get rid of the rows. Work in some power cleans. Like a man.

That's what I'm thinking. The 3x5 at least. Power cleans sound fun for a change of pace.

They're easy to learn. Do not be scared of them.

Oh when we went in there I asked tons of questions. I am pretty serious about wanting to get into weightlifting and eating healthy now. They were really nice and answered everything I could have. I just had the gym call me now and wanted to ask me about my complimentary trainer for the first time when I come in. I think he was like holy cow dude quit asking me all these questions lol. But I think it wil be good for us and I think were going in the correct direction.

I have some strong opinions on what is actually the best way to gain strength. If it were me, and it's not, I would have a bunch of questions ready to ask the trainers before I paid for anything.

Oh when we went in there I asked tons of questions. I am pretty serious about wanting to get into weightlifting and eating healthy now. They were really nice and answered everything I could have. I just had the gym call me now and wanted to ask me about my complimentary trainer for the first time when I come in. I think he was like holy cow dude quit asking me all these questions lol. But I think it wil be good for us and I think were going in the correct direction.
Excellent. Questions are good. Correct answers are even gooder (I know what I did). For what you're looking to do, isolation lifts are bad. long cardio is bad. Barbells are good.

So just barbells are good, ill have to make sure I work a ton with him on that. A big thing for me is I need to make sure I eat properly, because a small guy like me I don't eat much unless maybe for dinner.
Excellent. Questions are good. Correct answers are even gooder (I know what I did). For what you're looking to do, isolation lifts are bad. long cardio is bad. Barbells are good.

So just barbells are good, ill have to make sure I work a ton with him on that. A big thing for me is I need to make sure I eat properly, because a small guy like me I don't eat much unless maybe for dinner.
Barbells allow for more weight to be moved over a safe range of motion. Weight can be added in small increments to help with progression. Machines are your enemy. Light dumbbells are your enemy.

Here's an interesting next step from Starting Strength.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/texas-method

The TM is a beast of a program. It's very easy to follow. The volume day is a true beast of a workout. It's recommended to take 8-10 minutes between sets. I do believe that too many people try this program without exhausting the progression available from the novice program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back