2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never dead lifted prior to 8 weeks ago so still getting comfortable with them. I have cut down the cardio significantly the last 10 days and have really seen some gains. Not sure how I am going to get to my goal of losing 30 pounds, but I feel so good right now that I don't care.

I'm shocked that your deads are lower than your squats

Bowflex M5 has been ordered.....time for the wife and I to get our butts into gear.

- workout
- less alcohol (weekend only)
- diet

Excited....this is much needed for us.

I've never dead lifted prior to 8 weeks ago so still getting comfortable with them. I have cut down the cardio significantly the last 10 days and have really seen some gains. Not sure how I am going to get to my goal of losing 30 pounds, but I feel so good right now that I don't care.
If it's alright, I am going to make some assumptions. If you are squatting 245 to a good depth, you have some strength to build on. Your posterior chain should be strong. You should be able to deadlift more than you squat at this level. If you have never deadlifted, please make sure that your form is spot on. It's very easy to get hurt. Word of warning, the deadlift is not a lower back exercise.

Deadlift

Deadlift

I am working out with a guy who is very solid and picky on form with these lifts. We're stressing form over everything right now and making a gradual yet consistent climb in weight. He's squatting 335 and dead lifting 385 right now. And also a big fan of broscience videos :clapp:

My back, hips and legs feel better/stronger than they have in years. Really fired up about how this is going.

If it's alright, I am going to make some assumptions. If you are squatting 245 to a good depth, you have some strength to build on. Your posterior chain should be strong. You should be able to deadlift more than you squat at this level. If you have never deadlifted, please make sure that your form is spot on. It's very easy to get hurt. Word of warning, the deadlift is not a lower back exercise.

I am working out with a guy who is very solid and picky on form with these lifts. We're stressing form over everything right now and making a gradual yet consistent climb in weight. He's squatting 335 and dead lifting 385 right now. And also a big fan of broscience videos :clapp:

My back, hips and legs feel better/stronger than they have in years. Really fired up about how this is going.
I challenge you, next time you're in the gym before you start your session, I want you to say, "Forgive me father for these gainz I'm about to receive. Reps for Jesus."

Reps for Jesus.

gainz

gainz

LOL did not see this before I hit the gym tonight but will next time for sure.

I challenge you, next time you're in the gym before you start your session, I want you to say, "Forgive me father for these gainz I'm about to receive. Reps for Jesus."

Hit my first mostly unassisted set of Pistol squats this morning. Ten reps each leg. The assist was for balance and a bit of ups at the bottom of the squat.

Edit: stairs are evil. :( my quads are on fire. :alien:

Last edited:
Got done with work early and hit the gym at 4. I could tell it was a Monday. Squat racks were empty and the benches were all being used. Made me chuckle.

I did 6x2 power snatches. 6x3 power cleans. 3x2 rack split jerks.

Loved it.

Got done with work early and hit the gym at 4. I could tell it was a Monday. Squat racks were empty and the benches were all being used. Made me chuckle.

I did 6x2 power snatches. 6x3 power cleans. 3x2 rack split jerks.

Loved it.
Monday has been chest day for most since the 80's thats why i do back on mondays

Monday has been chest day for most since the 80's thats why i do back on mondays
Yeah. Fridays are arm day. Got to get a pump before you go to the bars and pick up chicks.

Weighed in tonight tonight. 160lbs, down 2 lbs since 1st of Dec. Other numbers 16.5% body fat,44.9% muscle. Need to get that fat down and muscle up.

lifting

lifting

Overall very happy with how I feel. Lost about 10 lbs off the bat, now am actually up 2 lbs at 282. Not real thrilled with the weight but I am benching 240, squatting 250x10 and deadlifting 225 right meow. Leg day today/tonight. Thanks for the updates that keep me pushing myself.
Swung the R15 in the sim last weekend and swing speed was 104-108. Felt awesome, stable and strong.

#repsforjesus

Overall very happy with how I feel. Lost about 10 lbs off the bat, now am actually up 2 lbs at 282. Not real thrilled with the weight but I am benching 240, squatting 250x10 and deadlifting 225 right meow. Leg day today/tonight. Thanks for the updates that keep me pushing myself.
Swung the R15 in the sim last weekend and swing speed was 104-108. Felt awesome, stable and strong.
I love this. Great progress. In all openness, I bet you can pull more than 225.

Reps for jesus

Ran 4 miles today!!

These are solid numbers! Keep it up!

lifting

lifting

Yeah, I did 265 tonight. No doubt there is more there, but I am getting used to the lift and figure I have a few more WI winter months to get it right and increase my weight.

I love this. Great progress. In all openness, I bet you can pull more than 225.

Reps for jesus

Yeah, I did 265 tonight. No doubt there is more there, but I am getting used to the lift and figure I have a few more WI winter months to get it right and increase my weight.
Keep it up. Nothing else to do...

Squats. Presses. Pull ups.

Squats went really well. Good number that proved to me that I can still get stronger. Presses were a s.hit show however. Lost my form in the first set and didn't recover. Oh well.

I have a pair of 1-1/4# plates coming. Those should help with progression.

Presses more than any other exercise are completely hit or miss. One day I feel like I can press any weight I put on, the next I feel like maybe the bar would feel heavy. Don't know why, it's just an exercise I'm not consistent with. The 1.25# idea is a good one.

Presses more than any other exercise are completely hit or miss. One day I feel like I can press any weight I put on, the next I feel like maybe the bar would feel heavy. Don't know why, it's just an exercise I'm not consistent with. The 1.25# idea is a good one.
It's a really small muscle group. for a simple looking lift, there is technique involved. Stupid head gets in the way

Presses

Presses

I agree about presses. Always feel goofy doing them and worried about hitting myself in the face. So with squatting - last night I did 10x185, 10x225, 10x250, 10x225, 10x185.......where should I be headed for a goal? Less reps and more weight? Just curious what you guys are doing.

I agree about presses. Always feel goofy doing them and worried about hitting myself in the face. So with squatting - last night I did 10x185, 10x225, 10x250, 10x225, 10x185.......where should I be headed for a goal? Less reps and more weight? Just curious what you guys are doing.

I would say less reps and fewer work sets will make you stronger. Maybe not thinner. But definitely strong. 3 sets. 5 reps. 4-8 minutes of rest between sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back