2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was the first workout with my fitness instructor and it was eye opening. Went in thinking I was in decent shape and fairly flexible. I left realizing how horribly wrong I was..and how this is going to be best thing for me.

Started with a warm up on the eliptical.

Then we moved to agility training focusing on really opening up the body and then working on an agility ladder.

That was the first time with an agility ladder for me, so the movements were slightly awkward for me. Ironically the last drill was called the Icky Woods shuffle, was the toughest of the drills and I nailed it. Apparently Icky and I have that in common.

We then moved to core training, working on the anterior and posterior movements of my core in a series of exercises.

We then moved to working on the glutes and yes - activating them with with an exercise he dubbed "Deer in the headlights"exercise. I found out today the importance of activating and strengthening my glutes to take stress off the lower back. I got the hang of the exercise after a little bit

We then moved to the "greatest stretch" exercise. In this exercise, I was on all six points (hands, knees toes), would bring one elbow to the opposite knee, then twisting to each side bring my hand up, trying to point to the ceiling. We did a 2nd series utilizing band resistance to help me really open up on the stretch. My left side was severely limited in range.

We then did squats/stretch using a exercise ball.

The last exercise was keeping the arms at shoulder height, bent at 90 degrees, alternated between having one bent up and the other parallel with my shoulders. I had to hold weight balls in my hands while doing it - 5 ounces, 8 ounces, 1 lb and 2 lb. Each set was a full minute non-stop and I found my shoulders are weak - a result of being over protective of a long term shoulder injury.

It was tough, the workouts are going to get tougher and I LOVED it.

af20f584934156c02a37a43fc7631a6b.jpg

sounds good and intense. Looking forward to following this

Well after only 2 weeks of cardio I'm already feeling the results. Amazing how much more energy I have after work and at night. Really helps to have energy with 2 boys under 4 years old wanting to run around and wrestle nonstop! I missed exercising, but forgot how much I missed just being in shape.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

Refreshing to see a gym with no sm*** machine. :D

Today was the first workout with my fitness instructor and it was eye opening. Went in thinking I was in decent shape and fairly flexible. I left realizing how horribly wrong I was..and how this is going to be best thing for me.

Started with a warm up on the eliptical.

Then we moved to agility training focusing on really opening up the body and then working on an agility ladder.

That was the first time with an agility ladder for me, so the movements were slightly awkward for me. Ironically the last drill was called the Icky Woods shuffle, was the toughest of the drills and I nailed it. Apparently Icky and I have that in common.

We then moved to core training, working on the anterior and posterior movements of my core in a series of exercises.

We then moved to working on the glutes and yes - activating them with with an exercise he dubbed "Deer in the headlights"exercise. I found out today the importance of activating and strengthening my glutes to take stress off the lower back. I got the hang of the exercise after a little bit

We then moved to the "greatest stretch" exercise. In this exercise, I was on all six points (hands, knees toes), would bring one elbow to the opposite knee, then twisting to each side bring my hand up, trying to point to the ceiling. We did a 2nd series utilizing band resistance to help me really open up on the stretch. My left side was severely limited in range.

We then did squats/stretch using a exercise ball.

The last exercise was keeping the arms at shoulder height, bent at 90 degrees, alternated between having one bent up and the other parallel with my shoulders. I had to hold weight balls in my hands while doing it - 5 ounces, 8 ounces, 1 lb and 2 lb. Each set was a full minute non-stop and I found my shoulders are weak - a result of being over protective of a long term shoulder injury.

It was tough, the workouts are going to get tougher and I LOVED it.

Several things, I haven't updated in a while.

Wrist and elbow wraps - I'm having ongoing tendinitis in one elbow only, have used tennis elbow type wraps with only moderate relief. My wrists were also getting sore, wrist wraps were instant almost total relief, so that was great.

U guys are talking shoes, I've had Reebok Crossfit Lifter 2.0s for around 3 months and really like them. I also picked up a pair of Chucks, and prefer them for OHP and DL. I have really flat feet and horrible memories of running in Chucks as a kid (slap! slap! Go my feet on every step, and it hurt) so I was a little hesitant but they're great for lifting in the basement.

Squatting - I basically deloaded and started over, as I was regressing a bit. Due to something in my hips, I have to use a fairly narrow stance and toes straight (I am naturally a little pigeon toed so this feels like toes out)....I had been going wider stance, and it was easier to get depth, but my hips hated it and, as I had previously mentioned, I had no power out of the hole. I did 140x5(x3) yesterday and had gas left in the tank and no pain today, so I think I have it figured out. I know, lousy weight, but I should be able to progress up at a decent pace now.

I I just finished my first week of 5/3/1 BBB. I estimated a couple of my 1RM, so have some adjusting to do.....fortunately, up, which puts a smile on my face. 5x10 60% bench squat and DL were easier than I expected so I'll bump them up this week.

Several things, I haven't updated in a while.

Wrist and elbow wraps - I'm having ongoing tendinitis in one elbow only, have used tennis elbow type wraps with only moderate relief. My wrists were also getting sore, wrist wraps were instant almost total relief, so that was great.

U guys are talking shoes, I've had Reebok Crossfit Lifter 2.0s for around 3 months and really like them. I also picked up a pair of Chucks, and prefer them for OHP and DL. I have really flat feet and horrible memories of running in Chucks as a kid (slap! slap! Go my feet on every step, and it hurt) so I was a little hesitant but they're great for lifting in the basement.

Squatting - I basically deloaded and started over, as I was regressing a bit. Due to something in my hips, I have to use a fairly narrow stance and toes straight (I am naturally a little pigeon toed so this feels like toes out)....I had been going wider stance, and it was easier to get depth, but my hips hated it and, as I had previously mentioned, I had no power out of the hole. I did 140x5(x3) yesterday and had gas left in the tank and no pain today, so I think I have it figured out. I know, lousy weight, but I should be able to progress up at a decent pace now.

I I just finished my first week of 5/3/1 BBB. I estimated a couple of my 1RM, so have some adjusting to do.....fortunately, up, which puts a smile on my face. 5x10 60% bench squat and DL were easier than I expected so I'll bump them up this week.
About mid way through this vid, Rip has a perfect way of dealing with elbow tendinitis.

2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Have set a deadline of November 14 of when I have to have six pack abs. Been working toward that goal for a month or so and I have a "shadow pack" but working off my arse to get a chiseled look in a month. I'm still trying to think of a reward or punishment for obtaining or not obtaining this goal in that time frame.

Have set a deadline of November 14 of when I have to have six pack abs. Been working toward that goal for a month or so and I have a "shadow pack" but working off my arse to get a chiseled look in a month. I'm still trying to think of a reward or punishment for obtaining or not obtaining this goal in that time frame.
Good goal Get your bodyfat below 10%. Six packs abs are made in the kitchen.

Good goal Get your bodyfat below 10%. Six packs abs are made in the kitchen.

Without a doubt. I've started trying intermittent fasting and it's actually easier than I though. Drinking enough water I can easily go until 1 without food and then get my daily calories and macros in that window. I've also started really switching stuff around like carb cycling or even doing a full day fast just to keep my body having to use the nutrients it's given rather than getting used to a particular diet.

2 days, 2 workouts, and 2 lbs to go. Any last minute tips or tricks?

Blu, for lifting, if I can't get my work sets done, should I drop weight and do more reps, or how should I adjust the workout in that scenario?

Blu, for lifting, if I can't get my work sets done, should I drop weight and do more reps, or how should I adjust the workout in that scenario?
Not tips, just well wishes, keep it up man! Excited to follow in the long term after you hit your goal!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

For this week, keep the weights were they are now, if you miss the first set, drop 20% off the bar and do two sets of 8 with shorter rest between sets. You should be sweating buckets after the third set.

Neb, I keep saying this because I feel it's worth repeating, we are changing this cycle after this week. I don't want you to worry about the progress on the bar right now. We are trying to cut weight for Friday. It's about exertion and less about progress on the bar.

I do not like long term training at this much of a caloric deficit. It does not help progression. You're seeing that. Don't be frustrated, please continue to trust me.

For this week, keep the weights were they are now, if you miss the first set, drop 20% off the bar and do two sets of 8 with shorter rest between sets. You should be sweating buckets after the third set.

Neb, I keep saying this because I feel it's worth repeating, we are changing this cycle after this week. I don't want you to worry about the progress on the bar right now. We are trying to cut weight for Friday. It's about exertion and less about progress on the bar.

I do not like long term training at this much of a caloric deficit. It does not help progression. You're seeing that. Don't be frustrated, please continue to trust me.
Blu, I 1000% trust you, and understand this is a short term thing, just wanted to make sure I was following the plan and not going off script, because you yelled at me last time I did that :alien:

Blu, I 1000% trust you, and understand this is a short term thing, just wanted to make sure I was following the plan and not going off script, because you yelled at me last time I did that :alien:
You're following the plan :D. You're doing great. I'm not worried about that. This weekend, eat. Go nuts. You're going to need to refuel. Monday we will go back to a more traditional plan. We will discuss where to start back up on thebl weights in a few days. Bump up your calories to 2500 and get back on linear progression with the weights. I think cutting back on your HIIT to 1 day a week will also have to happen.

Can we all give Blu (Joe) a round of applause for a sec here, dude is a workhorse in this thread. Much appreciated

Stupid muscle tears

a7632ca230a502f539b5ebf2ef40babb.jpg

Just in time to lift tonight! Not gonna lie, I think they look badass lol. They feel solid but I'm surprised that they're pretty comfortable. Some of the reviews made them sound horrendous and a couple people said they couldn't even walk lol wow. Maybe it's because Im so comfortable wearing skiing boots that these feel damn good, idk but some of the stuff I read was a bit far fetched. The heel height doesn't feel that different either, once again Idk if that's a ski boot thing for me or if people were just over thinking it or complaining but just wearing them around the kitchen they feel just fine. They're definitely rock hard but it's a very nice stable feeling and that's exactly what I wanted. Nike apparently shaved a ton of weight off these over the previous version so maybe that's what people were commenting on. Can't wait to try them later

a7632ca230a502f539b5ebf2ef40babb.jpg

Just in time to lift tonight! Not gonna lie, I think they look badass lol. They feel solid but I'm surprised that they're pretty comfortable. Some of the reviews made them sound horrendous and a couple people said they couldn't even walk lol wow. Maybe it's because Im so comfortable wearing skiing boots that these feel damn good, idk but some of the stuff I read was a bit far fetched. The heel height doesn't feel that different either, once again Idk if that's a ski boot thing for me or if people were just over thinking it or complaining but just wearing them around the kitchen they feel just fine. They're definitely rock hard but it's a very nice stable feeling and that's exactly what I wanted. Nike apparently shaved a ton of weight off these over the previous version so maybe that's what people were commenting on. Can't wait to try them later

I have a pair of these and they are comfortable

I have a pair of these and they are comfortable
They definitely are, I'm pleasantly surprised. I read a bunch of reviews after I bought them so I was scared I made a mistake lol. Thankfully that wasn't the case. I went a half size down from my other Nike skate / running shoes and they fit great.

Weights tonight, and decided to go off script a little to maximize my exertion. Started with squats and hit 3x5 of my work set from Monday, then moved on to bench where I did 3x5 at my work set from Monday. Then I decided to go crazy and instead of cleans, which I really didn't want to do, I did deads at 2x5 of my work set from Monday, but I didn't stop there, I threw in pull downs at 2x8 of +5 from the last time I did them. Essentially I just wanted to lift as much as I could with this being my last weights day before the weigh in. I also cut my water in half during the workout, so I hope to see some serious gains, or losses in my case. I plan to HIIT tomorrow AM and do a family bike ride tomorrow PM to hopefully get me across the finish line.

Good work Neb. That's some solid work.

I got in my weights tonight. Squats felt so much better and I think I finally got the bar in the correct position. Bench went well and PB my deads. All in all a very god workout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walked around the airport for like 30 minutes today. Hoping to make it to the gym when I get home but it won't be until like 1030. Going to play it by ear

I got in my weights tonight. Squats felt so much better and I think I finally got the bar in the correct position. Bench went well and PB my deads. All in all a very god workout

Once you get the bar in the right spot, you can tell, because it feels a ton better.

Keep working it, man.

Got the gym membership back. Meeting with a trainer on monday to hopefully get a solid schedule that isnt too much for the back to handle! Very excited to start this journey. The goal is 50 pounds.

Finding that shelf is critical. It's really makes life easier.

I'm happy you found it on your own. It's really easy for me to show you in person, it's a little more challenging via the intertubes

Got the gym membership back. Meeting with a trainer on monday to hopefully get a solid schedule that isnt too much for the back to handle! Very excited to start this journey. The goal is 50 pounds.
Age/height/weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back