2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow 10lbs in 6 weeks or less is crazy awesome. Nice job

In all fairness, I said mass not muscle, lol. But I feel I'm more tone now than before and I lift everyday at work so it's not just the training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is definitely a form first then weight and speed after that.

The best kind.

My ex coach who also was in that camp:

12309463_737295547339_1398786013076134992_o.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I was doing stronglifts and have switched to Jim wendler 5/3/1. 1/2 way through week 3.
How is it going for you? I was thinking about doing that one after summer vacation.

I'm looking to start some weight training and haven't really done too much before. I was doing some searching and came across the 5x5 stronglifts program which seems like it could work for someone just starting out like me. Starts real light on the weight and moves up from there. Squats, bench, overhead press, dumbell rows and deadlifts. Anyone had experience with that program?
I am doing stronglifts 5x5 now. If you get the app for your phone it is great. It tracks your weights and progress for you. Also gives you all the warmup weights and rest time between sets. Takes the thought out of it and just let's u go to the gym and lift.

As someone who had not lifted seriously in 10+ years. I have really enjoyed the program.

How is it going for you? I was thinking about doing that one after summer vacation.

I'm enjoying it. I only did sl 5x5 for 8 weeks and wanted something different after watching another video where 5/3/1 was mentioned and I looked it up.

Only 2.5 weeks in but like the workouts and setup

I am doing stronglifts 5x5 now. If you get the app for your phone it is great. It tracks your weights and progress for you. Also gives you all the warmup weights and rest time between sets. Takes the thought out of it and just let's u go to the gym and lift.

As someone who had not lifted seriously in 10+ years. I have really enjoyed the program.
That rest timer is a problem in my opinion. It's way too short. It only really makes sense starting out. Plus, bent over rows, for a beginner. Not that effective.

Ever since the Starting Strength app came out, with the very thorough form cues, it's the best "strength app" going.

In all fairness, I said mass not muscle, lol. But I feel I'm more tone now than before and I lift everyday at work so it's not just the training.

Hey 10lbs is still great tho. I'm currently trying to gain as well and another 10 on me would be fantastic haha. Keep it up dude!

Lift enough, eat enough, rest enough.
It's really that simple.

To expand the idea a little further, lift selection is important. Technique to efficiently and safely perform those lifts is also very important.

That rest timer is a problem in my opinion. It's way too short. It only really makes sense starting out. Plus, bent over rows, for a beginner. Not that effective.

Ever since the Starting Strength app came out, with the very thorough form cues, it's the best "strength app" going.
The app says 90 sec if easy or full 3 minutes if hard on work sets. I usually take 3 minutes. For heavier weights I have taken closer to 5 minutes but never more than 5. What would your recommendation be?

I haven't checked out the starting strength app but will. I have the book and it is top notch so I am sure the app is as well

The app says 90 sec if easy or full 3 minutes if hard on work sets. I usually take 3 minutes. For heavier weights I have taken closer to 5 minutes but never more than 5. What would your recommendation be?

I haven't checked out the starting strength app but will. I have the book and it is top notch so I am sure the app is as well
The app is better than stronglifts' app.

Take as long as needed. There are no extra points for finishing your session quickly. Depending on many factors, 10 minutes between sets is not unlikely.

It's really that simple.

To expand the idea a little further, lift selection is important. Technique to efficiently and safely perform those lifts is also very important.
Thanks. I checked out the app and it seems to be pretty in depth. Lots of good instruction on the lifts.

I posted this in another workout thread. I will be joining a gym for winter. Want to work on strength and flexibility. Pool/Sauna is a must!

Thanks. I checked out the app and it seems to be pretty in depth. Lots of good instruction on the lifts.
Yeah, it's not just a "do this lift, this many times" sort of thing. Which I really like.

Yeah, it's not just a "do this lift, this many times" sort of thing. Which I really like.
Yeah for a beginner like me, the detailed instruction is nice. Lots to read to prepare. Probably will start on Monday.

Yeah for a beginner like me, the detailed instruction is nice. Lots to read to prepare. Probably will start on Monday.
Read everything you can. There is a book available (hardcopy and electronic) that's even more in depth. Also, startingstrength.com has a resource section with all of the video in structure you need.

Hopefully your coaches have been stressing the importance of form over speed. If they haven't, please definitely talk to them about it. :D My CrossFit thought for the day.

This. I can tell the guys in the gym with a background in Crossfit. They're always the ones with the worst forms and think speed is the most important thing. Hate to stereotype, but that's what I see.

Hook grip deadlifts got me like...

8f28fa02997d17c3da25ffef90243585.jpg

I like pull ups. I like things like one set of 10 every five minutes for an hour.

This is the sort of stuff I come up with on a 12 hour night shift.

I like pull ups. I like things like one set of 10 every five minutes for an hour.

This is the sort of stuff I come up with on a 12 hour night shift.

You are a maniac. I mean that in the kindest way possible.

Pulls from last night. Last set of power cleans and my deadlifts.

So it's normal to to have trouble getting a good squat grip when starting out? I don't have the flexibility to grip the bar without a wide grip.

So it's normal to to have trouble getting a good squat grip when starting out? I don't have the flexibility to grip the bar without a wide grip.
My position is similar. I have pretty good flexibility but with long limbs it's simply more comfortable to have a wider grip. I don't think it's too much of an issue.

Yup. You may need to be wide until you get more flexible or the weight gets heavier. I can get my hands closer with heavier weights. What you're describing is common. Especially if your doing the Starting Strength grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back