2015 Open Championship Contest & Thread

Not really anything they can do if a ball won't stay still once set on the green.

I do enjoy Elkingtons take on Twitter: "bet there's no wind delay for the amatures paying $400 to play on Tuesday"

Not really anything they can do if a ball won't stay still once set on the green.

I do enjoy Elkingtons take on Twitter: "bet there's no wind delay for the amatures paying $400 to play on Tuesday"

Reason #147 that professional tournament golf is not comparable to amateur golf.

It does sound like it's time to back down green speeds at links tournaments

I hope the wind goes down just enough so the ball will stay put, but still windy enough to be crappy conditions. I love this tournament when the weather is terrible. Without the bad weather it's not that impressive to watch.

Reason #147 that professional tournament golf is not comparable to amateur golf.
why because nobody is making money off the guys playing Tuesday? Unplayable is unplayable. Same theory in hoops if "a foul is a foul on the 1st quarter it should be in the 4th". But it's not

why because nobody is making money off the guys playing Tuesday? Unplayable is unplayable. Same theory in hoops if "a foul is a foul on the 1st quarter it should be in the 4th". But it's not
Green speeds wouldn't be this fast on a normal Tuesday, ball would stay put.

Looks like a noon eastern start. I should have played this morning.

Green speeds aren't as fast for normal play as it is in tournament conditions, and amateurs aren't playing for their job like the pros. Can't compare a major championship to a Tuesday fourball.

5pm BST start time now as the winds still have not dropped to acceptable levels according to the R&A

Wow just woke up and still in a delay? I was watching these guys earlier and DJ, Spieth, Hideki and Oosty all got hosed. These guys hit 6-8 shots in that terrible weather while other guys hit 0 shots.

Wow just woke up and still in a delay? I was watching these guys earlier and DJ, Spieth, Hideki and Oosty all got hosed. These guys hit 6-8 shots in that terrible weather while other guys hit 0 shots.
Rub of the green laddy.. Rub of the green

are we going to get golf today at all?! seeing something about starting at 5:30 local time... wonder what the forecast is and will the wind lay down at all...

Rub of the green laddy.. Rub of the green

That may be true if they left them out there, but to start, have the guys hit a few shots and then call them back in is nuts.

I agree with what they said DJ's take was. They shouldn't have started, but once they did, they should have left them out there.

They are saying 6 now, this blows

Green speeds aren't as fast for normal play as it is in tournament conditions, and amateurs aren't playing for their job like the pros. Can't compare a major championship to a Tuesday fourball.

I could not disagree with this more. The same people that say this, are the same people that swear we should have the exact same rules as the pros.
#CantHaveItBothWays

I could not disagree with this more. The same people that say this, are the same people that swear we should have the exact same rules as the pros.
#CantHaveItBothWays
that's what I'm saying

They are saying 6 now, this blows

Are they talking just letting the guys that need to finish round 2 to do that? Or are they actually talking about starting round 3. To me, there's not much point in even starting the third round. Either way they're going to have to look at playing 2 (or most of 2) rounds on Sunday or finish on Monday. Even if you start third today, you probably won't get everything done on Sunday so you're finishing on Monday anyway. At least with only 3 hours or so left to play today.

Are they talking just letting the guys that need to finish round 2 to do that? Or are they actually talking about starting round 3. To me, there's not much point in even starting the third round. Either way they're going to have to look at playing 2 (or most of 2) rounds on Sunday or finish on Monday. Even if you start third today, you probably won't get everything done on Sunday so you're finishing on Monday anyway. At least with only 3 hours or so left to play today.
Finish 2 today, 3 tomorrow, 4 Monday .

Major bummer.

Well, at least I don't have work Monday.

This is a bummer. Was really looking forward to having it on this morning.

#CantHaveItBothWays
I don't think there should be the same set of rules, but that's an entirely different discussion.

Sucks for all the people that were going to leave Sunday night or Monday morning. They thought they'd see the final round but no dice.

Well, at least I don't have work Monday.

Neither will a majority of golf fans. A mysterious 24-hour flu is gonna hit hard I'm thinking.

Back