2015 Presidents Cup [Spoilers]

This talk of no killer instinct, such crazy talk. The phil/Zach hand shakes makes people shake in their tailored Boss pants.

US just doesn't have that killer instinct. They could have really made things difficult for the Int'l team, but there was a lot of playing 'good enough' and getting the half or simply losing the match.

Really impressed with Phil. He's playing terrifically, especially after the rules gaffe. Also excited about JB, he has picked up where he left off in the 2008 RC.

How is Kirk even on the team? He has a great year in 2014, but didn't do too much this year from what I remember.
Yeah, I don't know about that. Phil is publicly mocking their best team (probably not a good idea BTW)

International team made the putts yesterday and the US didn't. It happens. They still hold a 1 point lead thanks to day 1. I still see them rolling by singles time.

Yeah, I don't know about that. Phil is publicly mocking their best team (probably not a good idea BTW)
I like it. This thing needs a little spice. I hope it's a great match down the end (and the US wins, of course).

I like it. This thing needs a little spice. I hope it's a great match down the end (and the US wins, of course).

it's a little too close to the reed "shush." how about keep your mouth shut and let your sticks do the talking?

Yeah the mocking or antics doesn't correlate to killer instinct, at least for me. I'm talking about the golf they played.

If I remember correctly, every player has to play in at least 2 of the first 4 sessions. So you can't really hide someone who is playing poorly. Walker could be skipped all day tomorrow, but Kirk and Haas both have to play in at least one of the sessions. Same with Danny Lee, who I hope finds something and plays better. Seems like he is really pressing and trying to impress the home crowd.

it's a little too close to the reed "shush." how about keep your mouth shut and let your sticks do the talking?
I liked the Reed "shush" too. These events are about the only time in golf it gets this way, and it's about the only time I find I like it.

Now, I also like when those who do it back it up (which both Reed and Phil have done, to this point).

I love every bit of it!

Sorry if this has been covered but I just thought about it. Why isn't rory playing for the international team? May be a dumb question, but I haven't been able to follow the tour as much because of work lately.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry if this has been covered but I just thought about it. Why isn't rory playing for the international team? May be a dumb question, but I haven't been able to follow the tour as much because of work lately.

Because he is European and therefore gets on the Ryder Cup, not the Presidents Cup, which is for the rest of the world except Europe.

Ryder Cup is for Europe/USA, President's Cup is for the rest of the world/USA

Thank you sir. Learned something today. Shows how much I know about golf outside the US.

I knew there were no Europeans but wasn't sure why.

Just saw a quick interview with Phil and he said there's not normally a one ball rule? He said during the pga championship for example he could play "18 different balls for 18 holes". I thought you had to play the same ball during the round? Sorry if this has already been discussed haha I'm skimming

Just saw a quick interview with Phil and he said there's not normally a one ball rule? He said during the pga championship for example he could play "18 different balls for 18 holes". I thought you had to play the same ball during the round? Sorry if this has already been discussed haha I'm skimming

i believe you only need to play the same ball for the entire hole. you could theoretically switch balls on each tee box. i know during foursomes at the ryder cup one of the interesting dynamics they always talk about is when guys who play different balls are teamed together, it can be difficult to judge touch shots around on the green because they are literally that good. but i'm not a rules guy, so i could be totally wrong here.

During tour events a player must use the same ball he teed off with until holed. he can only switch if the ball is lost or ends up in the hazard. That is the one ball rule.

During tour events a player must use the same ball he teed off with until holed. he can only switch if the ball is lost or ends up in the hazard. That is the one ball rule.

does this mean for just 1 complete hole, or throughout the round? i understood phil's comment to be that you can play a different ball on each hole, just have to play that same ball from tee to cup on a given hole.

You are required to play the same ball from tee to green. The next hole you can put another ball in play
does this mean for just 1 complete hole, or throughout the round? i understood phil's comment to be that you can play a different ball on each hole, just have to play that same ball from tee to cup on a given hole.

You are required to play the same ball from tee to green. The next hole you can put another ball in play

Someone posted this up above, but for every round you are required to play the same ball from tee to green, unless you lose one and incur a penalty. The one ball rule in play is as follows:

"One Ball" Condition

During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

Note: If a ball of a different brand and/or model is dropped or placed it may be lifted, without penalty, and the player must then proceed by dropping or placing a proper ball (Rule 20-6).

Someone posted this up above, but for every round you are required to play the same ball from tee to green, unless you lose one and incur a penalty. The one ball rule in play is as follows:

"One Ball" Condition

During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

Note: If a ball of a different brand and/or model is dropped or placed it may be lifted, without penalty, and the player must then proceed by dropping or placing a proper ball (Rule 20-6).
I know the rule

"One Ball" Condition

but is this a usga rule for every usga-sanctioned event? maybe we're all saying the same thing, but i thought we were talking about two different things:
1- the one ball condition. if you tee up a 2015 pro v1 on hole 1, you must play a 2015 pro v1 throughout the entire round. if you lose a ball, pull out another 2015 pro v1 and keep going. no switcheroo at any point.
2- what phil was talking about. if you tee up a 2015 pro v1 on hole 1, you must finish hole 1 with a 2015 pro v1. if you lose a ball on hole 1, you can reach in your bag and pull out nike rzn black. and if you lose that ball as well (lookin' at you on hole 11, danny lee), you can pull out a penta. rinse and repeat until you finally finish that stupid hole. then on the tee box of number 2, you an put a duo into play, and keep using it until you lose it or finish that hole. and so on and so forth.

i don't pretend to understand the rules of golf in their entirety, but that's what i took away from phil's comments yesterday, and freddie's response above.

Thanks for the info guys. I was sort of under the impression that you had to play the same type of ball all round. When Phil said he wanted to play a firmer ball for a hole it caught me off guard. Now I know haha

I know the rule

I figured, was reposting for others that seemed to have missed why PM was penalized and what the One Ball condition referred to.

I don't think it applies to all events, and doesn't even apply to all types of play in this event. I believe they said during the coverage that players may change the type of ball during Foursomes (alternate shot) but during fourball (2 man best ball teams) that they are playing under the one ball rule.

I think that is why PM was confused, because in Alternate shot they were able to switch between models during the round (but not during a hole obviously).

but is this a usga rule for every usga-sanctioned event? maybe we're all saying the same thing, but i thought we were talking about two different things:
1- the one ball condition. if you tee up a 2015 pro v1 on hole 1, you must play a 2015 pro v1 throughout the entire round. if you lose a ball, pull out another 2015 pro v1 and keep going. no switcheroo at any point.
2- what phil was talking about. if you tee up a 2015 pro v1 on hole 1, you must finish hole 1 with a 2015 pro v1. if you lose a ball on hole 1, you can reach in your bag and pull out nike rzn black. and if you lose that ball as well (lookin' at you on hole 11, danny lee), you can pull out a penta. rinse and repeat until you finally finish that stupid hole. then on the tee box of number 2, you an put a duo into play, and keep using it until you lose it or finish that hole. and so on and so forth.

i don't pretend to understand the rules of golf in their entirety, but that's what i took away from phil's comments yesterday, and freddie's response above.

The one ball condition of play is like a local rule. You can only play one ball brand and type for the round. It is not used in most competitions in the US but the R&A is fond of using it and most asian competitions are run by R&A rules.

Kudos to Phil for admitting it is his responsibility to check that stuff out. It should remind everyone that the local rules and conditions of competition you get at tournaments are meant to be read before you get on the course.

Back