2015 Super Bowl Contest & Thread

It was a great defensive play on a timing route. He jumped the route from behind the pick. I don't think Wilson saw him and I think the throw was right on the money.
If you look at the freeze frame (I'll see if I can find it)...the DB literally broke on the ball as RW let it fly. Just a phenomenal play by the DB.

I can make a case for throwing the ball on 2nd down (a bad one because I still think they should've handed off). But not to that area of the defense, not from that formation, not without play action, and not without RW rolling one direction or the other.

If you look at the freeze frame (I'll see if I can find it)...the DB literally broke on the ball as RW let it fly. Just a phenomenal play by the DB.

I can make a case for throwing the ball on 2nd down (a bad one because I still think they should've handed off). But not to that area of the defense, not from that formation, not without play action, and not without RW rolling one direction or the other.

I agree, Pete. The play call was bad, but if that kid hesitated another split second it's a TD. Just a great play and not getting enough credit.

Prior to that game Russell Wilson had ONE career TD pass inside the 3 yard line.

It was a great defensive play on a timing route. He jumped the route from behind the pick. I don't think Wilson saw him and I think the throw was right on the money.

I think Russell Wilson should have saw him... the DB literally knew the exact play that was coming.

I agree, Pete. The play call was bad, but if that kid hesitated another split second it's a TD. Just a great play and not getting enough credit.

Maybe Russell Wilson did not see the DB, but goodness, he was locked in on that WR and area... shocked he did not see Butler.

Here you go. RW led him on this pass, if he threw it to his back shoulder, it might​ have been a TD.

SuperBowlPlay_zps8a08944c.jpg

How about offensive pass interference?

There was an interview w/ either Butler or one of the other players in one of the local papers where it said they recognized that Seattle ran that play from that formation at the goal in the past, so he jumped the lane right away. Yes, it was a questionable call - the Pats pretty much make a living on short passes around the goal line, but throwing a quick timing route across the middle with everyone compressed seems risky. But that was a great play by Butler to get there. The throw wasn't offline or bad at all, he was just in perfect position.

Maybe Russell Wilson did not see the DB, but goodness, he was locked in on that WR and area... shocked he did not see Butler.

But wasn't that a pretty bang-bang play, 2 step drop, quick throw on the slant with the pick? I just don't think he expected Butler to get a break on the ball like he did. I agree though, still too dangerous a throw in that position.

wow nice offensiev PI indeed

Here you go. RW led him on this pass, if he threw it to his back shoulder, it might​ have been a TD.

Wow, you look at that and the middle really looks open...that was all Butler.
83 could have shallowed out the slant too. He might not have scored but he would have probably had better position on the ball.

Yeah it was just a poor decision on Wilson rather than a great play. I think the entire world was in shock when he actually dropped back to pass. Not to take anything away from the defensive play but seriously the play call was really mind boggling.

Where? DST is allowed 5 yards

No, if they had called it then, they would have had to explain all the other times they didn't flag for picks or push offs by Seattle.

The other Seattle WR looks like he's blocking before the throw. NE got flagged for that earlier in the game.

To me that looks like the classic pick play, where the offense is called for pass interference all the time.

The pick, at the bottom of the screen. That's where. That's pass blocking before there's a pass. If you need another example of it, you can refer back to the play by the Patriots where they were flagged for it earleir in the game.

Back shoulder and he falls into the endzone.

The other Seattle WR looks like he's blocking before the throw. NE got flagged for that earlier in the game.

To me that looks like the classic pick play, where the offense is called for pass interference all the time.

The pick, at the bottom of the screen. That's where. That's pass blocking before there's a pass. If you need another example of it, you can refer back to the play by the Patriots where they were flagged for it earleir in the game.

Gotcha. I didn't see the play when that got called on NE.

So, within 5 yds you can have contact bet. WR/DST as long as it isn't blocking (setting a pick) for another WR?

Gotcha. I didn't see the play when that got called on NE.

So, within 5 yds you can have contact bet. WR/DST as long as it isn't blocking (setting a pick) for another WR?
If you're a WR running a route and "run into" a defender, you can sell a pick as "accidental". But when you just straight up block before the ball is caught, you're going to get called all day. Unless you're playing the Patriots. Even ND got called against FSU, and everyone hates FSU.

Play call was definitely questionable with beast mode in the backfield but looking at that play it was wide open and the kid made a fantastic play. Tough to lose like that but it was a heck of game to watch.

I love sports science...

Butler planted his foot, accelerated to 13mph and hit Lockette with 800 pounds of force, all in a couple of seconds.

Actually this morning I heard an analyst (Herm Edwards maybe) say that was Browner the Pats corner doing an excellent job of jamming Kearse on the line to keep him from setting a pick for Lockett.

Butler said they ran against that play in practice all week, and Belechek got on him for not getting there soon enough. So as soon as he saw the formation he knew exactly what to do.

Hey, belichek got his start in cleveland....right now, that is all us browns fans have! Well, that and a $2400 season ticket bill! One before i die!

I love sports science...

Butler planted his foot, accelerated to 13mph and hit Lockette with 800 pounds of force, all in a couple of seconds.
I never know when that show is on, but I absolutely LOVE IT as well.

Butler said they ran against that play in practice all week, and Belechek got on him for not getting there soon enough. So as soon as he saw the formation he knew exactly what to do.
Well, at least he will now stay in Belichek's good graces until next season starts. But if he had blown that play, no doubt he would have been cut.

Back