2016 Callaway Chrome Soft Review Thread

Sorry if it's already been asked, will these be available in Truvis???

Sorry if it's already been asked, will these be available in Truvis???

Yep and I think they will ramp up production as they didn't expect the excitement around the first model. Jason said they were back ordered for months

They have the truvis version on their website now

Hoping the yellow version will make it over to the UK as I still haven't seen the original in yellow anywhere near me

Over all I liked the original CS very well except for the performance around the green. The new 2016 version sounds great. I was concerned about how much improved the new version is around the greens, and how the new version works for slower swing speed guys. Both questions have been answered pretty well in this thread. Up to this point, my favorite new golf ball is the Wilson Staff Duo Urethane but it sounds like the 2016 CS might be as good or better and with feel that is as good or better than the 2015 version. Sounds really great!

Putting these in play this weekend again. It's not hype or anything like that, I am truly excited to play these, especially the spin I'm generating on approach shots and around the green.

I am pumped to get these back on the course as well. What I saw at The Hideaway left me wanting more.

I think the added compression is going to be welcome for a ton of people who thought they felt too soft. It is a nice balance IMO

Pretty sure I will be grabbing a few dozen soon. really liked last year's model and with some GCs and store credit should be able to get a few dozen cheap. Might even get some in the truvis.

Played the new Chrome Soft today and the 1st impression was it felt a lot harder than the last version on all clubs, I am coming off a week of down time and was way short of 100% so maybe it was just me feeling puny but I did not seem to get the distance I was used to with the B330 and it felt also hard off the putter. Going to try it again Sunday after some range work tomorrow and hope things feel better all around.

Played the new Chrome Soft today and the 1st impression was it felt a lot harder than the last version on all clubs, I am coming off a week of down time and was way short of 100% so maybe it was just me feeling puny but I did not seem to get the distance I was used to with the B330 and it felt also hard off the putter. Going to try it again Sunday after some range work tomorrow and hope things feel better all around.

That doesn't sound very good. Hopefully your next outing will leave you with a better impression. Evidently the ball is supposed to have a very similar feel to the first version. I have some pretty high expectations for this ball and am hoping for that to be the case and am looking forward to further comments. I will be trying a sleeve or two within the next couple of weeks. So far, am having pretty nice results with the new Taylormade Project A and Wilson Duo Urethane, as well as the My Tour Ball. The 2014 version of the Bridgestone B330RXS is no slouch either. The new Chrome Soft has some pretty good competition, and will need to live up to all of the hype to be as successful as the first version.

I'm interested to see how much spin I can generate with the new Chrome Soft. I spin the old version pretty well.

I'm interested to see how much spin I can generate with the new Chrome Soft. I spin the old version pretty well.

I had too much so didn't work for me. Nothing more frustrating flying to your number only to see it back up 15 feet.

picking up the new Nike RZN Platinum and doing a side by side tomorrow with these. Curious to see how it stacks up.

I had too much so didn't work for me. Nothing more frustrating flying to your number only to see it back up 15 feet.

I assume you have a pretty fast swing speed and ordinarily get quite a bit of spin?

Cant wait to give this new Chrome Soft a go. I really like the older one so if this one is even better ill be sold.

Curious from people who have tried this ball with higher swing speeds. I've gamed the ProV1x for as long as I can remember but not having an alternative ball is rather... expensive. From what I hear around the green this ball if great. I'm curious about off the tee. My ball speed with a driver is around 165 - 170mph. Would this ball spin too much? The name makes me wonder...

Picked up a dozen today and will be playing tomorrow. I liked the last version, so it will be interesting to compare.

Played again today with this ball and gave the 3 sleeves I had left to my friend after the front 9. I may not be generating enough CH speed to make them work. Off the Driver just dead and even well stuck irons seem to just fall out of the sky. Back to the B330 for me, hope I can find some of the new ones locally.

Put a sleeve of these in play this week against the Duo U's I just got and man, its a good time to be a golfer when it comes to golf balls and available golf ball tech. The things these companies are doing astound me.

This one off the tee is very Chrome Soft to me, I haven't hit it on my launch monitor yet but I'd bet spin is pretty close, for me, maybe a couple hundred RPM? we shall see in time.

Where I'm enjoying it most though is off the turf, I am generating a LOT of action for me, even on dormant greens here in OK, which is a continuation of what I saw in Cali with it at #TheGrandaddy. Seeing wedges thrown to a number and having them back up a couple feet is a brave new world for me....and I like it.

For the putter, no biggie there for me, but I'm not a big subscriber to having issues with the golf ball on the greens in terms of the feel. Not bashing those that do, I get it completely, but for me its not a consideration with these or any of my normal gamer golf balls. Now throw a rock flite out there, then I might have an issue. Hahahaha

I'm going to play these a good bit this year I think, having seen the R&D that goes into their golf balls first hand as well as what I've seen on course, I like them.

Now the 2016 chrome soft doesnt hit retail until 2/5 right? or are they available now?

tried to go to Dick's to get a few dozen with gift cards but they only had last year's model there.

Now the 2016 chrome soft doesnt hit retail until 2/5 right? or are they available now?

tried to go to Dick's to get a few dozen with gift cards but they only had last year's model there.
They are going to be put on shelves on 2/5. The old version, single core, has a 2015 Edition sticker on the top left to differentiate.

They are going to be put on shelves on 2/5. The old version, single core, has a 2015 Edition sticker on the top left to differentiate.
Thanks. that's what I thought but wanted to make sure.

Put a sleeve of these in play this week against the Duo U's I just got and man, its a good time to be a golfer when it comes to golf balls and available golf ball tech. The things these companies are doing astound me.

This one off the tee is very Chrome Soft to me, I haven't hit it on my launch monitor yet but I'd bet spin is pretty close, for me, maybe a couple hundred RPM? we shall see in time.

Where I'm enjoying it most though is off the turf, I am generating a LOT of action for me, even on dormant greens here in OK, which is a continuation of what I saw in Cali with it at #TheGrandaddy. Seeing wedges thrown to a number and having them back up a couple feet is a brave new world for me....and I like it.

For the putter, no biggie there for me, but I'm not a big subscriber to having issues with the golf ball on the greens in terms of the feel. Not bashing those that do, I get it completely, but for me its not a consideration with these or any of my normal gamer golf balls. Now throw a rock flite out there, then I might have an issue. Hahahaha

I'm going to play these a good bit this year I think, having seen the R&D that goes into their golf balls first hand as well as what I've seen on course, I like them.

Thanks for the comments on the new Chrome Soft. Based on your comments it would seem safe to say that this ball is as good or better off the tee than it's predecessor, and has more spin on approach shots, and probably has improved control around the greens. Similar to your thoughts, if it is a little firmer off the putter and wedges, it wouldn't be a problem for me. I will probably be able to play it for the first time a week from today, am much looking forward to that. I am hoping that this ball is as good or better off the tee for a slower swing speed guy in the 88-92 range.

As a side note, I did some comparison of the Duo Urethane and the new Project A with a 7 iron. The Duo U seemed just a bit longer, but the Project A generated about 10 percent more backspin, which for me was a pretty good size plus for the Project A. I suspect the new Chrome Soft to have somewhat of an edge over the Duo U for me,albeit the Duo U seems like a pretty nice golf ball over all.

Last edited:
Back