2018 The Grandaddy: Live Update Thread

Finishing the work week wearing the family crest!

1b73e0f5dfaca1ecdb377b79c654deac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha love it!

Missing the other part

f65ca78893b670136053f52521ba9d76.jpg

It's a Hideaway kind of day! Dang I miss that course, Team THP and the Zoo Crew!
7492de4a0c352e3eb145a09827ed73cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A day doesn't go by where I don't think about this event multiple times. Bar none, one of the best experiences I've ever had.

A day doesn't go by where I don't think about this event multiple times. Bar none, one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Doesn't go away anytime soon I'll tell you that much.

I think there is some truth to this but I also think there’s a misconception here that I’m hoping I can shed some light on.

Guys got roughly 50 minutes for fittings. That’s close to the time you get at a local fitter when picking one specific area of the bag to get fit to so keep that in mind. Everyone started at irons and worked their way up. Now add some time to fix any gaps in distances, having the fitter have to run to another tent to grab a club to try, switching shafts and so on. The time adds up. So by the time you get to driver, your asked what shot is your miss and what shafts do you normally play and you go from there. While yes there are some fine tunings and advice on set ups from the best in the world, it’s not like everyone was there with an entire day to kill and got crazy in death driver fittings.

Do I think a fitting will help maximize performance for the Flash? Hell yes. I think that’s the case for any club, shaft and ball. Do I think the gains by the guys on the team are strictly because of the fitting? Not really. A number of us were put into stock offerings.

I'll add to this a little. I think the real key is just getting fit in general, by a reputable fitter of course. The reason I say this is because in my Grandaddy fitting we were running out of time toward the end and I didn't have much time to tinker with driver setup much (it took awhile to get irons figured out). However, I had let Gerrit know that I did an in depth Tour Van driver fitting at 2nd Swing a couple years ago and I ultimately ended up going with the same shaft I was fit for back then simply because of the time constraint. So for me I have a great comparison to my last two drivers because it's the same shaft but I didn't necessarily try the newest options out there.

I'm also going to add to this and it's going to come off as not being very Callaway salesy, but we promised to be honest so here goes. Going to a good, reputable fitter that may have several brands available as options will not only give you the chance to find the perfect shaft setup for the Flash or other Callaway driver but it gives you the opportunity to find the best fit for YOUR SWING. The Flash is going to be awesome for a whole lot of people but there may be other brand offerings that work out a little better, and that's ok. All Callaway asks is that you give the Flash or whatever offering they have a chance.

Ultimately though find what gives you the best performance and I know this isn't always an option for everyone but I will always recommend doing that with a fitting. If you are able to do that I'm very confident the Flash will be right up there as one of the best, if not the best option.

I'm pulling this over from the Flash Driver Thread however it illustrates what @JDax and others on the Team Prestige emphasis the importance of knowing your Grips, Shafts and swing weights going in to your Grandaddy Fitting.

I'm pulling this over from the Flash Driver Thread however it illustrates what @JDax and others on the Team Prestige emphasis the importance of knowing your Grips, Shafts and swing weights going in to your Grandaddy Fitting.

I posted a lot of tips in the Grandaddy 2018 Thread (not the Live Thread), many centered on how to make the most of your ECPC experience. I’ll go find them and repost. Fortunately for me Cobra was with Gerritt before me and didn’t go over time.

This is what I had to say:

“Fitting Engagement- Come to the fitting process at the ECPC, ready to be engaged fully in that process with your Fitter. You will have one of the best Fitters in the world; however, you don’t have all day. Be engaged, ask questions, understand what your Fitter is trying to accomplish. Have an open dialogue with your Fitter, have an idea what has worked for you in the past and communicate that with your Fitter. This engagement will help you get the most out of your time with your Fitter. It's an awesome experience, but you don't have all day, make the most of it. When in doubt, trust the Fitter.

Know your yardages- You are getting a brand new set of clubs, and you have to play with them the next day. Don’t leave the ECPC without asking for what yardages your woods and irons were carrying. This will take out a lot of guess work early in the round the next day. You’re welcome.

Grips- This isn’t the time to experiment with new grips, you know what works for you. This is just a personal opinion, stick with grips that you can trust, remember what I said about the nerves.
My opinion also expends to putter grips, if you have a putter grip that you like, just go with it. If it’s an exotic putter grip, and you aren’t sure they will have it, bring one with you. You are going to need to putt well to have a chance, don’t leave that putter grip up to chance.

Fitting Sheet- It’s a cool moment getting fitted at the ECPC; take a picture of your fitting sheet. “

I posted a lot of tips in the Grandaddy 2018 Thread (not the Live Thread), many centered on how to make the most of your ECPC experience. I’ll go find them and repost. Fortunately for me Cobra was with Gerritt before me and didn’t go over time.

Yeah, I posted here so that when the 2019 Team get picked and the go back to read threads (Like everyone does) most start at the Live Thread to get a feeling of the week.

Fitting Sheet- It’s a cool moment getting fitted at the ECPC; take a picture of your fitting sheet. “

This * 100. I was so wide eyed during the entire fitting experience, that was the moment I never captured and after seeing others post what they could of theirs (minus Flash, Apex, PM Grind, Stroke Lab of course), I immediately realized I never took a picture of mine and immediately regretted it. I've followed numerous Grandaddy teams before me and was pumped when we got to see their sheets, and to miss that chance really got to me for some reason.

We got to The Hideaway the next day and as I started to gaze at my entire bag and started going through the pockets to decide where to put balls, markers, tees, I saw a piece of paper in the main compartment. Wouldn't you know, it was my fitting sheet! This put a huge smile on my face, even though I knew exactly what clubs I got since my bag was right there, and knew the iron and wedge adjustments they made, just having the ACTUAL fitting sheet was important to me.

So get that fitting sheet picture folks...

This thread deserves a bump. Had my first lesson with a new instructor today to clean up some of the junk that cropped up during this event with my swing, and he was asking about my bag, given it's full of the latest and greatest. I think it blew his mind a bit.

What an event this was - every moment is something that's going to be etched in my memory forever.

Glad you bumped this Matt. With the new Grandaddy contest open, it brought back a lot of good memories. I motivated enough to finally finished my shadow box tonight.
8c973495350f5690b9ee313db6007954.jpg

Glad you bumped this Matt. With the new Grandaddy contest open, it brought back a lot of good memories. I motivated enough to finally finished my shadow box tonight.

Looks good dude!!

Looks great!

Not gonna lie, seeing this thread at the top of the new posts page put a big smile on my face. What an experience!!!

That looks awesome man!

Not gonna lie, seeing this thread at the top of the new posts page put a big smile on my face. What an experience!!!
I thought the same when I just looked! Taking these bad boys for a spin tonight after work! Yes! It is summer time! This means more real time reviews and getting more comfortable with the clubs!!!!#teambluecliff miss ya man! Hell i miss all of you guys!
4b85002dc56c53b06d3cd86ff4e93987.jpg

@Boder that shadowbox box looks so awesome

Well done, my dude!

I have finally finished this thread. SO. MUCH. FUN.

I have learned much from the thread. First, the one pullover was so nice that I told my wife I wanted it for Father's Day. She logged in and it was 40% off on Memorial Day (the sale is over, unfortunately)! I would have paid full price for that bad boy.
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...pdate-Thread?p=5945677&viewfull=1#post5945677

Second, if someone ends up selected, they MUST learn to play while exhausted. I was tired for them just reading the thread. I am not talking just, "I should be able to play while tired." They need a full-bore immunity to exhaustion; I am talking Dread Pirate Roberts' immunity to iocane powder type of thing.

I have finally finished this thread. SO. MUCH. FUN.

I have learned much from the thread. First, the one pullover was so nice that I told my wife I wanted it for Father's Day. She logged in and it was 40% off on Memorial Day (the sale is over, unfortunately)! I would have paid full price for that bad boy.
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...pdate-Thread?p=5945677&viewfull=1#post5945677

Second, if someone ends up selected, they MUST learn to play while exhausted. I was tired for them just reading the thread. I am not talking just, "I should be able to play while tired." They need a full-bore immunity to exhaustion; I am talking Dread Pirate Roberts' immunity to iocane powder type of thing.

Thanks for taking the time to go through the whole thread. That pullover is great, especially on cool mornings.

There's a healthy shot of adrenaline that helps for sure. Could be raining, you could be exhausted, and you barely notice. It's that great of a time.

Thanks for taking the time to go through the whole thread. That pullover is great, especially on cool mornings.

There's a healthy shot of adrenaline that helps for sure. Could be raining, you could be exhausted, and you barely notice. It's that great of a time.

I find myself sleeping like garbage before THP events, yet caring zero about it. Too many good people and too much laughing to worry about sleep.

Back