2019-2020 College Football Thread

Big Ten making moves. At least it’s not Ivy League...

this is just like the spring, dominos starting to fall and everyone going to take it a step further.

Just saw the alert on ESPN...will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Several D3 leagues are cancelling fall football...

...hoping we aren't watching curling all fall.

Just saw the alert on ESPN...will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Several D3 leagues are cancelling fall football...

...hoping we aren't watching curling all fall.
Gosh I hope not. It’s just not the same without fans...

Gosh I hope not. It’s just not the same without fans...
I mean I would be okay with Curling...but I want some damn football.

Really hits home when your son is playing D3 Football. Kid just wants to play.

Big Ten making moves. At least it’s not Ivy League...

Only scheduling in conference does not eliminate many of the issues that the virus presents. How is Wisconsin playing Notre Dame in Lambeau Field any different from Wisconsin playing a league game?

Fall sports are toast this year.

This statement is probably the likely outcome.

Only scheduling in conference does not eliminate many of the issues that the virus presents. How is Wisconsin not playing Notre Dame in Lambeau Field any different from Wisconsin playing a league game?

This statement is probably the likely outcome.
Yea I’m not sure about the reasoning here. Especially since the B1G has schools from the north Midwest to east coast. Maybe they’re just trying to soften the blow when they call it :(

Only scheduling in conference does not eliminate many of the issues that the virus presents. How is Wisconsin playing Notre Dame in Lambeau Field any different from Wisconsin playing a league game?

It only lets them kick the schedule back a month or more in the hope that things improve drastically. If there is no improvement, I don't see any way we have fall football.

the reasoning i'm seeing is it allows standardized testing protocol between schools.

but i agree, it's likely just a step towards cancellation.

It only lets them kick the schedule back a month or more in the hope that things improve drastically. If there is no improvement, I don't see any way we have fall football.

I agree that fewer games scheduled gives more leeway to possibly play the games.

the reasoning i'm seeing is it allows standardized testing protocol between schools.

but i agree, it's likely just a step towards cancellation.

I think that's the way it's heading.

I agree that fewer games scheduled gives more leeway to possibly play the games.

I think that's the way it's heading.

I imagine the ESPN and Fox contracts are no play, no pay. Most schools will be in a world of hurt if that money isn't distributed next Spring. I wonder if an athletics program could take a loan from its school's endowment to weather the storm?

There a was piece on the local news last night. They said that the city of Baton Rouge businesses would lose at least 60 million in revenue if there were no fans allowed. I bet its double that if there is no LSU football at all.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Where does this leave Notre Dame and the few other FB independents, assuming all other conferences follow suit?

But high school and NFL are going to play? Odd man out?

In Mississippi, HS football likely will get flipped to the Spring.

A few of us were trying to convince a buddy in State College to rent his home for game weekends, but he went with a long-term rental instead. Good thing nobody listens to me 😆

The rumor mill is that the Pac-12 will be next to take the same step as the B1G.

College football as the problem of no centralized governing body. So conferences have to decide for themselves. The B1G is saying that they will not be ready to play football safely in a month. eliminating Non-conference, buys them a month and lets them make decision on how and when to play. Is this a step to canceling the season....could be. When 25% of FBS schools are in FLA, TX, and CA....it's currenltly looking more and more like there is no way to play college football and not make it perfectly clear that they are just exploiting athletes to make $$$$$$. When those same schools are all moving to an online model for classes.

Definitely not sorry for Notre Dame.

I think the fact that the NFL players are paid is a huge difference. In addition, the NFL players are not students who would be expected to attend classes with other students.

Given the current state of things, I don’t think you will see high school football either. It’s unconscionable and quite reckless to potentially expose high school students to the virus, especially since you can’t maintain adequate social distancing in football.

The rumor mill is that the Pac-12 will be next to take the same step as the B1G.

College football as the problem of no centralized governing body. So conferences have to decide for themselves. The B1G is saying that they will not be ready to play football safely in a month. eliminating Non-conference, buys them a month and lets them make decision on how and when to play. Is this a step to canceling the season....could be. When 25% of FBS schools are in FLA, TX, and CA....it's currenltly looking more and more like there is no way to play college football and not make it perfectly clear that they are just exploiting athletes to make $$$$$$. When those same schools are all moving to an online model for classes.

Definitely not sorry for Notre Dame.

I’m not trying to be negative but I don’t see college football being played this fall. Given the current state of the pandemic and its spike in certain areas, it would appear to be reckless to try to play a football season this fall.

Wow - the impact of this will affect so many... I think OSU shut down all sports related activities.

I’m not trying to be negative but I don’t see college football being played this fall. Given the current state of the pandemic and its spike in certain areas, it would appear to be reckless to try to play a football season this fall.

I tend to agree. that point is very frustrating in the narrative coming from news reporters covering certain conferences and schools...lamenting that they lose important early season games. Not that the B1G took a step to responsible make time because they understand that they can not play football in a month. And maybe not at all this calendar year.

I tend to agree. that point is very frustrating in the narrative coming from news reporters covering certain conferences and schools...lamenting that they lose important early season games. Not that the B1G took a step to responsible make time because they understand that they can not play football in a month. And maybe not at all this calendar year.

I don’t see the Big 10 playing in the Spring either. Tough to get started playing football in February in Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio etc.

Back