2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

For me I believe we started with the head first to figure out where was sitting with spin. We pretty quickly eliminated the Sub Zero because I was seeing some wounded ducks with such low spin. After that we discussed the shaft to start fine tuning. I remember hearing something asking the lines that worrying so much about the shaft is slightly overrated.
We started with the club head first during my fitting as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just sayin'

79f7d78bd6178e3d88b7bf45e37e3b4f.jpg

In terms of driver fitting, I am so interested to go through the process with them. I have had one driver fitting to date. I don't even know if you could call it that. It was basically me hitting different shafts and the fitter just watching. No input, very few suggestions. But, in his defense, I did already have a head. Shafts didn't seem to make a very large difference aside from timing my strike. Some were not great, some were alright, and I ended up leaving with exactly what I came in with.

Ready to be taken to school!

I'll be very interested to see if there's an unreleased driver in the works. If so, will that one fit me better than the Epic Flash, since EF seems to be a great go-to for so many people.

I'll be very interested to see if there's an unreleased driver in the works. If so, will that one fit me better than the Epic Flash, since EF seems to be a great go-to for so many people.

Will be interesting to see if we see a new driver. I am looking forward to seeing #'s and then fine tuning to get the most out of my swing.

Based on recent history I would say there is a 100% chance they have a new driver release coming. I wonder what the last year was where Callaway didn't release a driver.

In terms of driver fitting, I am so interested to go through the process with them. I have had one driver fitting to date. I don't even know if you could call it that. It was basically me hitting different shafts and the fitter just watching. No input, very few suggestions. But, in his defense, I did already have a head. Shafts didn't seem to make a very large difference aside from timing my strike. Some were not great, some were alright, and I ended up leaving with exactly what I came in with.

Ready to be taken to school!

I always have it my head that the shaft makes a huge difference, but I'm willing to bet it isn't as important as I think it is.

I need to get in for a fitting soon.

Based on recent history I would say there is a 100% chance they have a new driver release coming. I wonder what the last year was where Callaway didn't release a driver.
I think youre right on this my man. Almost every OEM is at minimum releasing something new in the driver category every year. It likely wont be an Epic Flash refresh/update but there will be something...

For me I believe we started with the head first to figure out where was sitting with spin. We pretty quickly eliminated the Sub Zero because I was seeing some wounded ducks with such low spin. After that we discussed the shaft to start fine tuning. I remember hearing something asking the lines that worrying so much about the shaft is slightly overrated.

Makes total sense. Find the head, fine tune the shaft.

Makes total sense. Find the head, fine tune the shaft.

Does that work for us normal slower swing speed guys also?

Does that work for us normal slower swing speed guys also?

100%. Your swing ultimately dictates launch and spin. Assuming that's your constant, as inconsistent as that may be. Based on the same swing you're allegedly making, the clubhead and loft are gonna give you your launch and spin. The shaft is really there to fine tune?

Just something that could possibly go down between @McLovin and @JasonFinleyCG.......

Finley: Capt McLovin, Did you order the Blueberry Vodka Lemonade?!

Al: You don't have to answer that question!

Capt McLovin: I'll answer the question. You want answers?

Finley: I think I'm entitled to them.

Capt McLovin: You want answers?!

Finley: I want the truth!

Capt McLovin: You can't handle the truth! Jason, the Hideaway has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with clubs. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Hashtag? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Harry, and you curse the Hackers. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Harry's departure, while tragic, probably saved THP a few points; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves THP points. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at Al's house, you want me on that Clive -- you need me on that Clive. We use words like, "fitting", "redacted", and "bus ride". We use these words as the backbone of a trip spent experiencing greatness. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very competition that Team THP provides and then questions the manner in which we provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a club and hit the range. Either way, I don't give a **** what you think you're entitled to!

Finley: Did you order the Blueberry Vodka Lemonade?

Capt McLovin: I did the job...

Finley: Did you order the Blueberry Vodka Lemonade?!

Capt McLovin: YOU'RE *** **** RIGHT I DID!!!

Finley: .........

Capt McLovin: ..........

Finley: Uh, I just wanted to know if you ordered the drink..

Capt McLovin: Oh, yeah, I did. Sorry.

Last edited:
So uh is this the part where mclovin gets taken into custody? ;)

I am curious if a low/low combo will be effective for me. My current Z-785 driver spins in the 3000 - 4000 range with a Rogue silver 130. I have been taking lessons on a trackman and my angle of attack is negative with the low point of my swing always in front of the ball. This is ingrained too deep in me to change, My instructors gave up changing it because my swing goes to absolute crap when I try to hit up on the ball.

So uh is this the part where mclovin gets taken into custody? ;)

I think assuming that he’ll make it to the desert is optimistic.....:ROFLMAO:

Dude .... @tomcat that was impressive indeed! (y)

Just something that could possibly go down between @McLovin and @JasonFinleyCG.......

Finley: Capt McLovin, Did you order the Blueberry Vodka Lemonade?!

Al: You don't have to answer that question!

Capt McLovin: I'll answer the question. You want answers?

Finley: I think I'm entitled to them.

Capt McLovin: You want answers?!

Finley: I want the truth!

Capt McLovin: You can't handle the truth! Jason, the Hideaway has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with clubs. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Hashtag? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Harry, and you curse the Hackers. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Harry's departure, while tragic, probably saved THP a few points; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves THP points. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at Al's house, you want me on that Clive -- you need me on that Clive. We use words like, "fitting", "redacted", and "bus ride". We use these words as the backbone of a trip spent experiencing greatness. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very competition that Team THP provides and then questions the manner in which we provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a club and hit the range. Either way, I don't give a **** what you think you're entitled to!

Finley: Did you order the Blueberry Vodka Lemonade?

Capt McLovin: I did the job...

Finley: Did you order the Blueberry Vodka Lemonade?!

Capt McLovin: YOU'RE *** **** RIGHT I DID!!!

Finley: .........

Capt McLovin: ..........

Finley: Uh, I just wanted to know if you ordered the drink..

Capt McLovin: Oh, yeah, I did. Sorry.

This is really well done. Spencer killing time with greatness on the overnight shift.

we've got room for two more!!! #GrandaddyDreaming

If only... I missed out of most of the contests because the dates didn't work but that may have changed. The odds aren't good I'll be there in person but I'm getting excited to watch you guys bring the belt back. I hate seeing Callaway with that puppy.

100%. Your swing ultimately dictates launch and spin. Assuming that's your constant, as inconsistent as that may be. Based on the same swing you're allegedly making, the clubhead and loft are gonna give you your launch and spin. The shaft is really there to fine tune?
Well that escalated quickly.
From the brilliant mind of @tomcat! Nice.

I am curious if a low/low combo will be effective for me. My current Z-785 driver spins in the 3000 - 4000 range with a Rogue silver 130. I have been taking lessons on a trackman and my angle of attack is negative with the low point of my swing always in front of the ball. This is ingrained too deep in me to change, My instructors gave up changing it because my swing goes to absolute crap when I try to hit up on the ball.

That would depend on the other factors of numbers. You are generating between 3k-4k spin. Your head is low spin. Your shaft is low spin. If you want to find out if going lower would assist, try dropping the loft. Odds are, you are producing higher spin and lower not getting higher loft. This comes from the angle of attack being steep.

my first year in 2015 we were in between releases. The GBB had come out in the summer and was killing it, along with the 816 line. The XR16 line was still in proto stage when we were there and I got a few swings with it but it was unavailable to us. Thats as close to no driver release as weve seen for the Grandaddy i think

Time is flying by and this event is coming up quick. The end of our season is upon us in less than a week. Greens have been punched and the available time to play is way down. I sit here and wonder how my game will look in a few months. I'll continue to practice putting and some basic swing stuff. But, I have gotten my full game about as good as it's going to be by now. No more grinding trying to improve. This is my game and hopefully what I will be carrying into the event.

That portion of my preparation is over. It's a weird feeling. I mean, I am not going to let my play dictate this event for me or my team. But, it was kind of nice to have that carrot in front during the season. Something I was striving for. I honestly think this was one of the best seasons I can remember. I struggled early but scraped a game together and shot some decent scores, even while dealing with some deeply ingrained issues. Heck I was prone to hit a hosel on a partial wedge shot once a round up until the last month or so.

I don't know. Feeling like I am in a good place in golf and in life. It's been one of the best summers that I can remember. Thanks to THP being here for me and the Grandaddy to look forward to.

Back