2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

For those already on the team, what is your mood as you await the Grandaddy???

At least a little bit of dancing every day when thinking about what could possibly be waiting for us. Never in a million years did I think that my number would be drawn.

Anxious and excited. There is nothing calm about this at all. Excited to see who the next teammate will be.

fun question! my mood is probably PONDERING. pondering what equipment will be in store. pondering what kind of game i bring to california. pondering who the last two people on the team will be. pondering what dinner al has in store for us at his house. pondering what swag the callaway people are cooking up for us this year. and pondering whether i will be able to keep up with the frenetic pace of the week, and the incredible opportunity we have to share it with everyone following along.

I try to always be a positive person but the grind of running a business can test your resolve. Since being chosen for the Grandaddy my mood has definitely been better overall and when those dark clouds start forming I think about the Grandaddy and everything that its about and my bad mood is gone.

Motivated. Played far more rounds and range time then I would have probably done otherwise in preparation. Also makes me think more about course management this year, focus on smart shots vs the normal grip and rip. Although in best ball there will be plenty of that.

Mine is simply lucky. I feel so lucky to have been selected as so few will ever get a chance to experience this event. This will no doubt change my life forever and it’s already started to do that 75 days before it’s even begun. The gear, the apparel, the first class travel, the exclusive tours, the fitting, the hideaway...I mean it’s a bit overwhelming!

I’m certainly feeling lucky.

Slow work day so just thinking about all things Grandaddy. Have been on the Callaway site twice building club sets. Checking out the new Jaws wedges.

The new teammate is in for a heck of a 75 day ride.

Slow work day so just thinking about all things Grandaddy. Have been on the Callaway site twice building club sets. Checking out the new Jaws wedges.

The new teammate is in for a heck of a 75 day ride.

which grind has your interest right now?

I know not directed at me - but I’m thinking:

54 S grind - seems the most versatile and I use my 54 for all kinds of shots, including full swing. I think that 10* of bounce would be helpful for me.

58 I know I want a ton of bounce, but not sure if X or W.

Tour grey please!

Can’t wait to see what is in store.

I know not directed at me - but I’m thinking:

54 S grind - seems the most versatile and I use my 54 for all kinds of shots, including full swing. I think that 10* of bounce would be helpful for me.

58 I know I want a ton of bounce, but not sure if X or W.

Tour grey please!

Can’t wait to see what is in store.

pretty much the exact setup i would go with too, probably x grind if i had to pick for myself. good thing i don't have to pick for myself haha

pretty much the exact setup i would go with too, probably x grind if i had to pick for myself. good thing i don't have to pick for myself haha
Just tell me what I need, RFC. Please.

Same goes for you, @Luke WilliamsCG snd @SeanToulon - so intrigued to find out what fits my eye, alignment, and stroke.

I can’t believe this is happening.

Because of the 2 main types of grasses/conditions I play here (zoysia and bent) I could just about play S across the board or go 50 and 54 in S and 58 in W

I am feeling pretty confident about our team chemistry for the event. When we all show up it is going to be like a reunion of old friends. I think that eliminates one variable in the sense that we will all be pretty comfortable with eachother. Now, how that fares once we start getting blown away by the event is yet to be seen. But it's a good feeling. If we win, awesome. If we lose, at least I know we will be enjoying eachothers company the entire time. No pressure to play to a certain level. Just a general understanding that we are all going to have a great time and take in the experience as a whole. @McLovin & @mikeg_74 have been doing a fantastic job of keeping things in perspective. Having an assistant captain who is as passionate about this event as Mike is invaluable.

Love this team! Really looking forward to getting the final teammates added.
You are absolutely right that building chemistry for months eliminates the "need to get comfortable with each other" variable. It's the biggest (only? LOL) upside to having to wait so long for the Grandaddy to start. You will care more about how much fun everyone is having than how well they are playing...although we all have more fun when playing well, the playing well part isn't that high on the priority list. If you all play well and have a chance to win, that's just unexpected bonus icing on top of the icing that's already on the cake.

Mine was NSFW.
Hahaha

Because of the 2 main types of grasses/conditions I play here (zoysia and bent) I could just about play S across the board or go 50 and 54 in S and 58 in W

tell me about your grass and how it affects your bounce pondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

that does sound pretty damn great actually

i have actively stayed away from anything low low at the top of my bag unless the numbers say otherwise. two drivers ago was low low and i was shocked it worked, less shocked when it didn’t work any longer. i would be shocked if i get fit into low low, but will go with whatever they say.

I cant believe the captain is still tapping :oops:

It’s important to remember that low launching and spinning heads can work great, with the right loft. And there isn’t a shaft on the planet that will influence launch as much as club head will...including loft.

It’s important to remember that low launching and spinning heads can work great, with the right loft. And there isn’t a shaft on the planet that will influence launch as much as club head will...including loft.

gotta get my moneys worth out of that damn pro upgrade i paid for this year lmao

Bolded for those who may have missed that. Degree, maybe a degree and a half of launch change? Few hundred RPM of spin difference.

Bolded for those who may have missed that. Degree, maybe a degree and a half of launch change? Few hundred RPM of spin difference.

1,000% agree. and yet there are still some people who will cling to the opposite. hell, there’s a fitting room podcast with tom watson where he says shaft is more important than head.

1,000% agree. and yet there are still some people who will cling to the opposite. hell, there’s a fitting room podcast with tom watson where he says shaft is more important than head.

It can be as far as centering the club head so you aren’t fighting it. I’m speaking strictly to influencing ball flight at impact.

It can be as far as centering the club head so you aren’t fighting it. I’m speaking strictly to influencing ball flight at impact.

i guess that’s the thought behind some of the premium fitting studios that start with fitting for shaft first, then find the right head combo? it will be interesting to see how the fitters at ecpc approach it.

Finley is always lurking. He is just waiting for the bat signal to jump in the fray.
i guess that’s the thought behind some of the premium fitting studios that start with fitting for shaft first, then find the right head combo? it will be interesting to see how the fitters at ecpc approach it.

For me I believe we started with the head first to figure out where was sitting with spin. We pretty quickly eliminated the Sub Zero because I was seeing some wounded ducks with such low spin. After that we discussed the shaft to start fine tuning. I remember hearing something asking the lines that worrying so much about the shaft is slightly overrated.

For me I believe we started with the head first to figure out where was sitting with spin. We pretty quickly eliminated the Sub Zero because I was seeing some wounded ducks with such low spin. After that we discussed the shaft to start fine tuning. I remember hearing something asking the lines that worrying so much about the shaft is slightly overrated.

i’ll do whatever they want, but i like that approach very much!

Reactions: KEV
Back