2019 PING G410 Drivers

Rick Shiels just put up his full review this morning. Heading to YouTube to watch it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw it, performed very very well. Looks like another smash hit for Ping. Their G400 lineup was the best driver lineup top to bottom last year.

I've been a Ping fan. I think I'd have to see this one in person. The sole doesn't bother me. But the crown with the extra turbolaters...I'd have to see it in hand.

My bigger reaction though is $540 for a driver that does not use carbon....that is hard for me to swallow. I'm sure the driver performs but we'd pretty much know that we are not gaming a club with the most modern tech. If companies want to go lighter, reposition weight, be faster, etc., how can you not use carbon for the crown? I had the same reaction to Titleist TS line. They are charging the premium price for something that doesn't offer cutting edge / modern technology. I don't like that on principle alone.

It’s $499.99 retail and not $540 so coming in at same price as some recent releases. Materials are only part of the equation as you know. And with ping they develop their own shafts and then have a couple brands make them so there’s that aspect as well. The part that I’m interested to see how things play out is the g400 max is cheaper right now and the replacement isn’t coming for a few months then you have the lst version which also doesn’t have a replacement he but the current version is discounted and now $200cheaper. Will consumers pass on even trying the g410 or grab the g400 lines. Will some wait til all the heads are out before trying.

The one good thing is ping is on 18-24 cycle so a later release for max and lst doesn’t shorten their lifecycle with a replacent coming less than a year later

The replacement for the LST was part of this launch. The delay is because there were some issues evidently and they are working on those.

The replacement for the LST was part of this launch. The delay is because there were some issues evidently and they are working on those.

To expand on this. It wasn’t a last minute pull. They needed more improvement time.

It’s $499.99 retail and not $540 so coming in at same price as some recent releases. Materials are only part of the equation as you know. And with ping they develop their own shafts and then have a couple brands make them so there’s that aspect as well. The part that I’m interested to see how things play out is the g400 max is cheaper right now and the replacement isn’t coming for a few months then you have the lst version which also doesn’t have a replacement he but the current version is discounted and now $200cheaper. Will consumers pass on even trying the g410 or grab the g400 lines. Will some wait til all the heads are out before trying.

The one good thing is ping is on 18-24 cycle so a later release for max and lst doesn’t shorten their lifecycle with a replacent coming less than a year later
It is Ping, so we know it will perform. I just feel like they are releasing a high performing Honda but charging like its a fully loaded Acura. But that's just me and I'm not in the market for a driver.

Sliding weight on a Ping.. Never thought I'd see the day. Love that the head profile is a bit less Dragonfly'y. Not surprised to see them like many other companies producing visual stabilizers for the crown material moving from face to back.

At a loss how there isn't an LST option at release.

Love the Tensei Orange and Evenflow Black secondary options (big step imo for Ping) - Way behind other companies for no upcharge options though.

I thought the G400 head was wonderful; last time I played it - 13/14 fairways. But I had to tinker and bought the Max on a trade-in of a Rogue, which I don't know why it did not work -sound maybe - still thinking - think it was a shaft issue. OK, bought Max, then tried to go back to G400 and had a heckuva time finding peace with the G400 again. Weird, huh? It's me.

The G400 had a sweeter sound but I grew accustomed to Max. All goes to say that I'll wait for 410 Max ... I think. But definitely on the Ping Bandwagon on driver.

It is Ping, so we know it will perform. I just feel like they are releasing a high performing Honda but charging like its a fully loaded Acura. But that's just me and I'm not in the market for a driver.

Interesting analogy but imo people get used to hearing about materials used, marketing buzzwords and such then ping comes out with what some consider tweaks (and they may be) and not a big marketing blitz or the glitz and glamor approach that other brands take.

They are able save weight, move weight as a result, change adapters and face design to improve on a great driver while not using “fancy materials and such. Keep turbulators around still and improve on them vice ditching it. Move the dragonfly tech from on top of the crown and keep it while moving it to under the hood. These are the same type things the other companies are doing but without the flare.

The engineering versus marketing approach is something that’s always drawn me to ping and why they along with titleist are always 1&2 in my order of clubs I’ll try.

If the sound of this release goes back to the g/g30 sound if will has a disappointment.

But with this driver already at 455cc, what could the Max do better to be more forgiving?
?

Knowing Ping maybe they found a way to make a 480cc driver somehow displace only 460cc of water during the measuring process.

I've got to say... the G400 look absolutely does it for me.

The matte grey/black with the copper weight. I can't describe what kind of imagery that conjures up for me, like a well designed piece of machinery, but with some elegance like a timepiece. It looks solid, well made... as if someone just said "picture a well engineered and well made golf club" and this is what they came up with.

The G410 looks like a glossy plasticy flashy construction that is no different than Callaway or Cobra

If drivers were women at a bar... Rogue, F8, M4 would all be half drunk blonde women in low cut dresses trying to ploy you to buy them a drink while they banter to you with "oh my goddddddd.... no wayyyyyyyy". Where the G400 Max would be the sultry brunette in a turtleneck and a tight skirt with diamond earrings sipping coyly on her drink as you talk to her.

The G410 does not look like wife material like the G400.

one company used a super computer to design its face. another had to actually dial back the speed it created off its face. .

While the tech story is great for marketing, I’ve seen and read many reviews Showing not much difference, if not a step backwards for some who saw no gains over previous versions.

It’s all about the fitting at this point.

To expand on this. It wasn’t a last minute pull. They needed more improvement time.

Any chance you could elaborate ? I’ve heard two stories. 1. The current design wasn’t enough of an improvement over the 400 LST
2. It didn’t pass USGA testing.

While the tech story is great for marketing, I’ve seen and read many reviews Showing not much difference, if not a step backwards for some who saw no gains over previous versions.

It’s all about the fitting at this point.

i don't disagree. but my understanding is that fitting is a small percentage of all club sales. so in a sea of options, how do you differentiate yourself? with a story. i don't hear a very compelling story here.

Any chance you could elaborate ? I’ve heard two stories. 1. The current design wasn’t enough of an improvement over the 400 LST
2. It didn’t pass USGA testing.

It’s not the latter.

I've got to say... the G400 look absolutely does it for me.

The matte grey/black with the copper weight. I can't describe what kind of imagery that conjures up for me, like a well designed piece of machinery, but with some elegance like a timepiece. It looks solid, well made... as if someone just said "picture a well engineered and well made golf club" and this is what they came up with.

The G410 looks like a glossy plasticy flashy construction that is no different than Callaway or Cobra

If drivers were women at a bar... Rogue, F8, M4 would all be half drunk blonde women in low cut dresses trying to ploy you to buy them a drink while they banter to you with "oh my goddddddd.... no wayyyyyyyy". Where the G400 Max would be the sultry brunette in a turtleneck and a tight skirt with diamond earrings sipping coyly on her drink as you talk to her.

The G410 does not look like wife material like the G400.

I love the analogy. Thankfully I’m in the non-committal stage with drivers. Hot, easy blonds are my zone. One or 2 year relationships where I get to look around and even let my buddies put their hands on her are fine by me.

On the LST, I kinda wonder if the standard head with the weight on the fade setting was just too close performance-wise. It may have seemed a little redundant thus the delay and fine tuning.

I love the analogy. Thankfully I’m in the non-committal stage with drivers. Hot, easy blonds are my zone. One or 2 year relationships where I get to look around and even let my buddies put their hands on her are fine by me.

On the LST, I kinda wonder if the standard head with the weight on the fade setting was just too close performance-wise. It may have seemed a little redundant thus the delay and fine tuning.

:laughing::laughing:

Does a driver have to have a carbon crown to be an Acura? I don’t even plan on playing the Ping this year, totally committed to Cobra with the Morgan Cup, but the G400 and the TS3 gave me ball speeds as good or better than anything out there. There is more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes.

Does a driver have to have a carbon crown to be an Acura? I don’t even plan on playing the Ping this year, totally committed to Cobra with the Morgan Cup, but the G400 and the TS3 gave me ball speeds as good or better than anything out there. There is more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes.

Ping has shown us you don’t need a carbon crown to have the best performing lineup of 2018. Not only in my view but many many others. I trust their engineers know how to get the most out of the materials they want to work with.

I’ll try it based on how amazing the G400 line was. I suspect it’ll be another winner for Ping!

Interesting design choices. The G400 Max (and the entire line) was a beast so you have to anticipate some level of improvement here and know it will be a strong offering. I think some of the aesthetics will appeal to some and not others. The lack.of a sliding track seems kind off odd to me, but maybe there is some weight savings reason why a plug and play weight was used instead.
I still think it will probably perform well amongst reviewers considering the preceding line.

I’ll try it based on how amazing the G400 line was. I suspect it’ll be another winner for Ping!

The g400 was an underrated release but those who never gave it a chance then tried it were amazed. I was having a conversation about releases with my fitter last week. He had a bunch of clients not even consider it and would ask them if he could bring one other head out along with what they were asking to get for into. #sleeperoftheyear

Can wait to try these. The G400 series made me a ping believer (as it did for so many).

Looks frickin awesome I just love the look of a fancy driver and if it performs like the G400 oooooo boy Ping gonna have them another fire stick, would love to hit it and see for myself

i'm looking forward to some thp'ers getting this in their hands for some feedback. i watched a youtube review, and the results were impressive. i wasn't really considering this, but if it provides faster speeds vs the max and knocks off a few revs i might be interested. but $540 is a lotta scratch.

I like the honesty in ping for not releasing a new max and lst if they are still working on them, but I do find it funny that they will be selling drivers with 2 noncompatiable tips.

G400 was a solid line up, curious to see how the g410 fills out.

Back