LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

To my eye as I followed along the fitting adjustments worked well and were an improvement from prior years.

I think so too. And THPers stayed right on schedule.

The Granddaddy drew me in like this 3 or 4 years ago. Haven't left since. :)

Same. I came from that “other golf forum”. Fighting and bitching and pissing and moaning was what it was all about.

My first follow was the 2017 Grandaddy and that’s what set me straight about what THP was about. People here treat people like they’d treat their best friend in person. It took me a hot second to realize that but once I did I came to embrace the ideals that this place is all about. Being in an event in person reinforced that.

This place is something special and this is its most special event. Being the first people to play the newest gear by the biggest in the industry? Just a bonus, one of many for this event.

Now I’ve gotta start my lobbying for 50 word contests for 2020, lol. I can’t get my point across in 20 words or less:) I’ll have a heart attack if there are any 10 word contests.

So, back to the real world tomorrow. Work, driving kids back and forth, day dreaming about golfing.

Still paying my dues to my wife. Full day of Christmas shopping ahead of me. Will be back later to share some more thoughts.

While I wasn't able to follow along live this week most of the time i was able to catch up most days, but finally made it through all 202 pages. Wow team THP did an awesome jobs on updates and providing content. It still blows my mind that average joe golfers are able to experience something like this just from being part of the THP community. I look forward every year to the Grandaddy and following along such and awesome experience for anyone. Thanks to everyone for bringing us THPers along for the ride. I am really enjoying the recaps and cannot wait to read reviews on the shoes, clothes, and upcoming gear. You all did THP proud.

I seem to recall this fine young lady covering The Grandaddy a couple years back. Now sideline for the Steelers @ Cardinals game.

943430E0-B2D0-42E2-920E-78F0101D60FB.jpeg

So I guess I must deduce that post Grandaddy you’ll be involved in big things? I expect to see #asscap calling plays for my sorry ass Browns next year now, lol!

I hear too much laughter. I’d be sobbing like a baby kn

As someone else that rarely presents a visible smile, even if I think I’m smiling-which is much of the time-, I can respect the “I think I’m smiling, smile”. Lol!

Nice job there! Both on the near smile and the singles play. :)

Fittings were done differently than in years past. Wedges have been out, so instead, they were part of the full swing if someone wanted them to be. Add in an apparel presentation during fitting day and everybody had 1 hour stations.

I would say I spent the first 20 minutes of my fitting on wedges. It was absolutely worth it because I hit my wedges well both days.

I would say I spent the first 20 minutes of my fitting on wedges. It was absolutely worth it because I hit my wedges well both days.

Helps when you know what you like and the flight you're accustomed to. In a similar situation, I feel I’d go 20/20/20 with wedges, irons, and woods. Shift time as needed if one of them doesn’t take too long to get through. I’d put a timer on that just to be safe haha

I am sad that GD week is officially over. The 2019 team did a great job ALL YEAR LONG keeping the community engaged and excited for the event. THANKS!

I can also confirm and @TylerSheanCG can confirm we witnessed "NO SHANKS" from @NoShanks during our match....
This is true. No shanks! Jeff hit a really crispy iron shot into Dye 16th green after a nice drive down middle. Ball slightly above your feet to that back left flagstick over bunker and water. Nice high one never left the flagstick. If didn’t land so softly would have been all over stick. You fixed your ball mark and made a comment “Now I get a ball to stop when I need it to release” That’s what happens when you pure one. Ball had a nice sizzle sound off the iron face. Left to right birdie putt was tracking nicely, but died foot short. Well played hole. ??62E90119-AEEF-410C-83F9-9B1E87DCD847.png

Lol, you don't ever really know until you know what it feels like I guess. I want to cherish these memories for as long as I can.
I’m a newbie as it relates to alumni status, but I’m sure the feelings haven’t faded for me yet. As a matter of fact, watching you guys only intensified everything I’ve been feeling for the last year. I’ve said it before and I’ll echo it here. If you do it right, The Grandaddy gets inside of you and becomes a part of you. It changes the way you see the game and it certainly changes the way you see the Callaway brand. Plus you’ve got 12 other brothers from the team to relive it with and you’ve joined an extended family. The story telling never stops and the memories never leave. Enjoy the journey bro!

Last edited:
Alright, working on some more recapping. But, I think I have hit a limit I didn't know existed. Lol, the site is trying to tell me I am too long winded. It said I am over 10,000 characters. So, I need to trim this down a bit and try again here in a bit.

Alright, working on some more recapping. But, I think I have hit a limit I didn't know existed. Lol, the site is trying to tell me I am too long winded. It said I am over 10,000 characters. So, I need to trim this down a bit and try again here in a bit.
Split it across two posts!!

Im glad @vgolfman got to spend some time with the guys. He has been a big part of this community and our content for a long time.

index.php
The knowledge he gave us and questions we where able to ask in the 15 minutes we got to spend with him where amazing. @vgolfman is a blessing that Callaway has received having him on their staff now. Was an honor to finally meet him.

The knowledge he gave us and questions we where able to ask in the 15 minutes we got to spend with him where amazing. @vgolfman is a blessing that Callaway has received having him on their staff now. Was an honor to finally meet him.

Very kind. Thank you and always happy to talk Golf with THPers.

I began the process of jotting down thoughts and memories on the flight home. Did a little bit more yesterday, and decided to go ahead and start my recaps, so I make sure to not forget any part of this. You may think that it would be impossible to forget anything from an event like this, but you almost have to write as you go, because there's so much to remember. So much at every single turn. A schedule that's packed from sun-up to sundown. When you think you've seen it all, a rabbit gets pulled out of a hat. So, with that being said....

DAY 1 - Travel day

Thanks to me having a relatively short, non-stop flight, I was able to sleep later than most. My departure was at 8:40, but after getting up, found out that I had a minor delay until 9:20am. Made it through traffic, parked the car in the employee lot and caught the shuttle over to the terminal. Bag checked, and wizzed through security thanks to Precheck. The flight itself was normal, and the arrival into San Diego wasn't anything new, as I've been there numerous times. Where this trip really differed was when the driver met me, holding a Callaway sign. He showed me to the Cadillac sedan waiting in the lot, and we were off to Carlsbad.

SDsMZj3cQ1aTjnf5REz+uQ.jpg

Shortly after we arrived at the hotel, I started meeting up with the others that were arriving around the same time. Once most of us had checked in, and most being hungry, grabbed an Uber and headed to Encinitas, and try out Filiberto's. Most went for the California Burrito (has fries in it), but I went for the shredded beef taco.

+oVff5jhRreBhcTRLLBUIA.jpg

We all took a short walk to an overlook that gave us some nice views of the Pacific.

+c7IvGEDQmyjgAs%JEoTlg.jpg

Took an Uber back to the hotel in time to rest for a bit and change clothes before the bus picked us up for the short ride over to Callaway HDQ. We've all seen the front of the building many times from years past, but it's completely different when you're walking up those steps. Opened the door, and was welcomed by the receptionists.

kCyM2vfJRuuB1JQ79hubnw.jpg

....gladly signed our NDAs

WLBKZIe+QlOh400LVMX43Q.jpg

Shortly afterwards, JB and JRod walk into the lobby, and of course, JRod is wearing the belt over his shoulder. They walk us back through the marketing department, where we found all of them standing, clapping and cheering for all of us. I believe Tyler was even standing on a desk. They were nice enough to leave a welcome message for us on a sign there.

ecDDYno+Se2R0SYF5xYqlQ.jpg

After initial greetings, we were led in to the Callaway Live studio to find backpacks sitting on chairs all across the front row.

MePP6b1gSjWgQJkjbV7xxA.jpg

The next two hours were filled with a crazy amount of information about the upcoming 2020 line of clubs. We heard from DNevs, Luke, and Jason. Every new release that we see from club manufacturers talk about the new tech that's included, but Callaway continues to go beyond previously assumed boundaries with this line. I wanted to go into the event with a tempered expectation after what recent years have brought, and partially assuming that what improvements were done, would be minimal. It was extraordinary to hear and see how they've created the newest clubs, and the crazy amount of work that has gone into them. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to speak about them, directly.

After the presentation, we heading to the cafeteria for dinner and a chance to chat with our kind hosts.

Q%HGMHVERZyMy9mTzyRCCg.jpg

After dinner, we walked back into the marketing department area where @mikeg_74 was presented with his gift from the team. Custom wedges created by Anthony Taranto, and custom Recoil shafts.

4WBLAfltTROvkrseTA+7qw.jpg

After returning to the hotel, @McLovin was presented with his Captain's gift. A custom creation by AJ Voelpel.

d73vsLyfSZqRWcHLf5rJaA.jpg

JRod took us all out to a sports bar to just relax and enjoy the evening, then across the parking lot to In-N-Out for those that hadn't had it before. Then back to the hotel to dig into the backpack full of things, including our scripting for the next three days.

67SajcqHSFeZI3TNYcN7xQ.jpg

The event hasn't really even begun yet, and already the amount of things we've been given access to, introduced to, and the things we've been given has been astounding. Even sitting here after the fact, I still can't believe just what that first night contained. Things were off to an amazing start.

Day 2 to come...

Here's a dumb question of sorts.. How do you guys pack attire when you have no idea what the shirts are going to look like and if the shoes you brought are going to match it? Do you just show up with a few outfits for post round stuff, and three pairs of shorts/pants depending on what you feel like golfing in?

Here's a dumb question of sorts.. How do you guys pack attire when you have no idea what the shirts are going to look like and if the shoes you brought are going to match it? Do you just show up with a few outfits for post round stuff, and three pairs of shorts/pants depending on what you feel like golfing in?
We have a lot of fancy bois on this team and we planned ahead with bottom color selections that would match with any top, and cap made the call the night prior which bottoms for the day’s scripting.
Shoes were up to us, try as @Snickerdog and I might to make them the hot punch AM1.

Back