2021 Irons - What ya thinking?

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Curious.....anyone else planning to add new irons to the bag this season?

I can't decide if I want to try a mix set with blades in the short irons.....or go off the reservation completely for fun and go for something like the Mizzy HMPs.

I've had blades before and loved them. I've not gamed an iron like the HMP that I can think of. The Apex Pros are, I guess, as close as I've been in perhaps a decade. They are intriguing because I'm guessing they'd be a ton of fun. Having said that though.....I do enjoy working the ball and feeling the ball off the club face. Planning to invest in a fitting.

So, what do you think about my silly dilemma?

What are you thinking for your own bag for 21'? Are you gonna try something a bit outside the box of your current setup?

I'm guessing the next 3 weeks or so will have me change my mind every other day.

One Length KFT

No changes planned. New irons last season and I usually keep them in play for several years.

:quiet:

The only way I'm changing irons is if I get into an event. IF I get into the Morgan Cup, hands down going one length.

I'll be changing irons this hear.
Hopefully settle into some new Apex Pros, but if that doesn't happen I could go ZX, new MP line, or just break the bank and get TC201.

New irons are on my agenda, with a decision and purchase before spring. So far I like the idea of a combo set like Jpx921 Tour/Forged, p7mc/p700, or ZX7/ZX5. I think the new Apex line will easily join that list. i210 is right there too, but I have an emotional block on it for some reason. I love to hit different clubs and explore scenarios in any club category, but when the numbers drop these workhorse type clubs give me the best results.

I am honestly dabbling between a set of Cobra RadSpeed OL or Srixon ZX7. I am leaning towards the OL because with golf season never ending in Florida I can dedicate a full season to putting these through the paces.

ZX7's and I'm not really considering anything else. For the first time ever I may becoming loyal and biased to an iron brand. :) Depending on how the spin and launch is during a fitting I won't be surprised if my 5 and 6 irons will be ZX5's.

Last edited:
I doubt my budget will allow it this year but I'm interested to see what Callaway comes out with and I really, really like what I see and hear about the Cobra Tour set. It's also pretty tempting to take a flyer and try One Length.

Haven't seen anything I would take over my current clubs yet.

ZX Combo set on order...

Will keep playing the Hogan PTx Pro irons that I have been gaming for a year and a half unless I get into an Experience that provides a new iron set.

I am not planning a change in irons this year. If I were, I would likely be looking at a Srixon combo set of some sort, and the new cobra irons are intriguing. Of course whatever comes out from Callaway would be tested as well.

I'll be changing irons this hear.
Hopefully settle into some new Apex Pros, but if that doesn't happen I could go ZX, new MP line, or just break the bank and get TC201.

tc201 is phenomenal

right now there are 3 sets in the running:

callaway mavrik pro (2019 grandaddy gamers)
callaway tbd (hope to have more info very soon)
honma tr20v

my gut tells me i’ll end up with the new callaway and the honma, and make a decision sometime in the summer.

i could get lucky and participate in an event with gear and have something else in the mix.

the truth is there is so much good in 2021. mizuno 921 and mp. srixon zx5 and 7. and probably more that we haven’t even heard about yet.

Definitely something Cobra! Whether it will be RAD Speed or King Tour or something different who knows!

ZX7's already ordered.

Hard pondering is being done on getting a set of OL, probably the RadSpeeds. Whether that happens or not I will still be getting my share of rounds in with the 919Fs with the THP custom Recoils!🙂

I'm thinking either Ben Hogan Players combo or a combo set from Sub70 (or both!) 😆

Will keep playing the Hogan PTx Pro irons that I have been gaming for a year and a half unless I get into an Experience that provides a new iron set.
Same for me but substitute Apex for PTx Pro irons.

Back