Tour Event 2021 Ryder Cup

I just don’t know what the Euros will do now. They need to move on from several old guys, but who can fill that void? The US had to do the same, but there was always legit options waiting in the wings.

I wish I got to watch more of this, as I didn't catch any of the Sunday singles thanks to family event. I caught a fair amount of Friday and Saturday and absolutely loved it. 100% agree with @Jman, the US team looks poised to dominate for several years.

I just don’t know what the Euros will do now. They need to move on from several old guys, but who can fill that void? The US had to do the same, but there was always legit options waiting in the wings.
I think it has to be transitional now. The old guard have clearly served the team well, but just haven't performed. As much as I hate to say it, I think we have a few more RCs of Europe getting their asses handed to them whilst the new players are brought on. That US team is phenomenal, and young enough that there will be a number of cups left where they could dominate.

The weakness Europe has to worry about is the number of bright young things that have not 'trained on', Dubuisson, Rafa, Sullivan, Wood , Gallagher , Pieters have not warranted a second look, while McDowell, Molinari and Colsartes have disappeared.

The cupboard is not bare, but it is not well stocked.

This is how USA felt after the 2004 Ryder Cup. Anyone heard of Hal lately? Or seen his hat?

The weakness Europe has to worry about is the number of bright young things that have not 'trained on', Dubuisson, Rafa, Sullivan, Wood , Gallagher , Pieters have not warranted a second look, while McDowell, Molinari and Colsartes have disappeared.

The cupboard is not bare, but it is not well stocked.

This is how USA felt after the 2004 Ryder Cup.
At least you all have a Hovy though. He’s going to be a RC star for a couple decades.

I must say the event was great to watch, the course just insane. I need to play there some day. But these beatings, the last 4 or so, just so anti climactic. Good to see the US play well and feel good. So many shots of players smiling, many of which I’ve NEVER seen smile!

kudos to the euros for playing under very different circumstances than in prior years and for doing their best despite knowing the outcome since Friday evening. They always said the right things and acted like the sort of houseguests you enjoy and wish would stay.

Hovland, Rahm and few others were genuine bright spots who will make the next several better events to watch.

the US team, well at least for now they seem loaded with both youth and excitement. ON TO ITALY!

Last edited:
I must say the event was great to watch, the course just insane. I need to play there some day. But these beatings, the last 4 or so, just so anti climactic. Good to see the US play well and feel good. So many shots of players smiling, many of which I’ve NEVER seen smile!

kudos to the euros for playing under very different circumstances than in prior years and for doing their best despite knowing the outcome since Friday evening. They always said the right things and acted like the sort of houseguests you enjoy and wish would stay.

Hovland, Rahm and few others were genuine bright spots who will make the next several better events to watch.

the US team, we’ll at least for now they seem loaded with both youth and excitement. ON TO ITALY!
A Hovy/Rahm pairing would be incredible in the future.

Another takeaway for me? Morikawa is truly the real deal, I know he already has two majors, but this kid has it ALL.

If the USGA is serious about rolling back distance via the golf ball or club design, the PGA of America and the PGA Tour need to smack them upside the head and put a stop to it. Just an unreal display of strength and speed, and it was so freaking entertaining.

Really? That dude (Lowry) was pure passion! Don’t hate on the big fella!
The UK coverage had to keep apologising for his language, was priceless :LOL:

Things I learned this weekend:

4- The thread on THP covering the Ryder Cup is like having my boys over every day to watch and beverage. We keep it fun, respectful, and high paced all week, and for me at least, it was a thrill to be a part of. If they wanted to run it back next weekend, I'd go through the commercial gauntlet again in a heartbeat.
I thoroughly enjoyed this thread. I watched most every shot yesterday while getting a family dinner ready so I couldn’t participate in the thread like I wanted.

y’all, tell the truth, last night, you told Alexa to put on your dance playlist and beeped yourself in the middle of things.

The Europeans have still won like 9 of the last 13. I'm sure they will be plenty fine. Until the Americans win like 9 of 12 I am skeptical about them in this event.

The Europeans have still won like 9 of the last 13. I'm sure they will be plenty fine. Until the Americans win like 9 of 12 I am skeptical about them in this event.
With a crew that officially hit “old as balls” this week, that crew is done, so who is next?

Do historical records matter when the most recent win featured the beat down of an 'old guard' and the rise of a dominant youth movement?

I've never been more optimistic about the American Ryder Cup chances.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Ryder Cup "everything" this year. The Stricker captainship, each of the players, the sportsmanship, and even the crowds. Great year all around! Go USA! 🇺🇲

A more emotional Rory than the NBC interview.

such an old soul. he seems like the kind of guy who would be so much fun to just grab a seat next to, with a good bottle of the booze of your choice, and just talk about life. he'll be a helluva captain someday.

Really? That dude (Lowry) was pure passion! Don’t hate on the big fella!

that smile is so genuine and contagious, too. i loved his saturday afternoon match when he made that putt on 18 to secure the point. he went bonkers with passion, then walked over to the americans almost apologizing for the outburst. dude totally gets it and i hope he keeps playing well enough to be on future teams.

Well, the Euros have Rahm, Rory and Hovland going forward.

The US has 16 guys in the world 25 rankings that are all hungry to change the narrative of being underachievers!

Time will tell, but those 12 Americans this year want to keep pounding it out

that smile is so genuine and contagious, too. i loved his saturday afternoon match when he made that putt on 18 to secure the point. he went bonkers with passion, then walked over to the americans almost apologizing for the outburst. dude totally gets it and i hope he keeps playing well enough to be on future teams.
Same. Europe NEEDS him and his passion.

Back