2022/2023 Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long have you got? The biggest is its run as a franchise system where you buy your way in. I know that’s the US way, but most of the US sports are domestic sports so that works. If the US wants to compete with the rest of the world, it needs properly run leagues, rather than what is basically an exhibition league! The USL already has 3 leagues. They are seriously missing a trick by not bringing in promotion and relegation. If US soccer had any sense, they’d buy the USL, scrap the whole buying your way in and have ways we’re teams can progress up the ranks. The fans here would love it, teams would grow, it would overtake the MLS, it would give young talent here a reason to keep playing the game with a genuine chance of a professional career. Hell, the fact we knocked out an MLS team in only our second year in the USL and took the current MLS champions to penalties (granted not their A team) in the US Open Cup, and last year a USL team made it to the final shows what state the MLS is in. And then the bone headed comments the guy in charge of the MLS made about the US Open as a competition shows he has no interest in growing the game here, just about protecting his brand! I could go on and on all day.
I’ve never understood why Americans are so adverse to relegation. I say that as an American. I think relegation is the best thing going in sports.

it wouldn’t work in the nfl but you can’t tell me the MLB and NBA would be greatly served by having 2 spots up for relegation.

I’ve never understood why Americans are so adverse to relegation. I say that as an American. I think relegation is the best thing going in sports.

it wouldn’t work in the nfl but you can’t tell me the MLB and NBA would be greatly served by having 2 spots up for relegation.

I’m not sure Americans are against it necessarily (pretty sure most that watch soccer would relish it), I think it’s the people that run the show. Much more money to be made when a team has to buy in in an area with big tv markets. I see a lot more posts these days on Twitter from people wanting promotion and relegation, although of course, that might just be the Twitter algorithm doing its thing.

As Luton have proved, if you have relegation there needs to be a league underneath that catches you and helps you prepare for promotion back. There is nothing in the USA.

As an ex-baseball fan, who got tired of watching the home spend 1/10th of others and not trying, I would love to see relegation. My thing is that ship has sailed for MLS (or MLB and the NBA) so I don’t give it much thought anymore.

It won’t happen when mls charges like 500 mil for a franchise. No owner is gonna agree to that. Though there is a major issue with how big the league is getting. It never stops expanding.

Well, my team has found the suck train again, great start to December but man did that fall off hard. From 12 points from 12 to 12 from 21 isn't good, but better than the 3 below us

Well, my team has found the suck train again, great start to December but man did that fall off hard. From 12 points from 12 to 12 from 21 isn't good, but better than the 3 below us
Oh Hai...

We were good but you were very poor yesterday. Michael Keane = Loss

Oh Hai...

We were good but you were very poor yesterday. Michael Keane = Loss
Couldn't watch but kept up to date with a WhatsApp thread, we were really bad and you guys made us pay.

Squad is what it is, when you're getting a £20m loan each month just to pay bills we can't go shopping for decent defenders

Just terrible from Arsenal.

Or, well done Fulham
Without a doubt. Executed the game plan.

Crowd the box, hit on the break, score on a corner.

Keep Arsenal 40 yards from the goal or on the wings.

It's how West Ham beat Arsenal.

Arsenal doesn't have the sheer class to beat that strategy and I'm growing displeased with David Raya in goal.

But Arsenal was also very poor. Poor communication at the back, no creativity in the attack, and lacked a clear plan to score goals.

Just terrible from Arsenal.
Arsenal’s broken, and Arteta better figure out how to fix it soon. No disrespect to Fulham, who played a great match, but this is not the same Arsenal squad from the first few months of the season. I agree with @blugold about Raya…it might be time to get Ramsdale back on the pitch.

Arsenal cannot be consistent enough to win the title, it feels like they're setting up to replicate Wenger's time and ensure top 4 each year.

Arsenal’s broken, and Arteta better figure out how to fix it soon. No disrespect to Fulham, who played a great match, but this is not the same Arsenal squad from the first few months of the season. I agree with @blugold about Raya…it might be time to get Ramsdale back on the pitch.
Raya maybe good with his feet, but he's small and doesn't dominate the box like Ramsdale does.
Arsenal cannot be consistent enough to win the title, it feels like they're setting up to replicate Wenger's time and ensure top 4 each year.
Ugh. The Top 4 Trophy years.

Not the worst place to be, I'm looking for something vetter than 17th season after season so I wouldn't moan too much 🤣
The FA did Everton dirty. Everton is not a "fight against relegation" squad.

I read one the other week that each division has different sustainability rules, so Leicester have to get promoted to the PL to avoid any breaches. How messed up is that?
But the schadenfreude part of me wants them to promotion, just to the chaos.

But the schadenfreude part of me wants them to promotion, just to the chaos.
I'm more annoyed that they changed the rules on when charges would be reviewed and decided after they charged City but before they formerly charged us so they could make the example of us. & now City won't see any verdict till 2025? Not sure how much more corrupt they want to openly show but it's incredibly blatant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back