2022/2023 Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Villa heading into Europe!!!! The difference Emery has made, if he’d been there from the start of the season, we’d have been knocking on top 4!!!!!

Arsenal with nothing to play for anymore wins 5-0. Of freaking course 🤦‍♂️

I’m pleased Everton stayed up. Hopefully both Leicester and Leeds come straight back up. Leicester have a lot of players out of contract so that will at least help the wage bill.

I’m pleased Everton stayed up. Hopefully both Leicester and Leeds come straight back up. Leicester have a lot of players out of contract so that will at least help the wage bill.
The pillaging of newly relegated teams has started I'm sure

Well, now we get into the most stressful part of being a fan (outside of trying to jot get elevated 3 years in a row), what is the club going to do to improve the squad?
Transfer season is in full swing, players are being released, clubs are being pillaged that have been relegated.
Players will be forcing moves.

So much fun coming.

Firstly Well done to West Ham .

Now lots of speculation and fake news about Everton......so its watch this space

But more interestinglly is Lionel Messi going to Inter Miami he turned a lucrative offer from Saudi, but i know he was supposed to joining Mansfield Town FC (Thats my local team) in Leagu 2 .....never mind :LOL:

But more interestinglly is Lionel Messi going to Inter Miami he turned a lucrative offer from Saudi,

Yeah, tough choice that one. Live in Miami or Riyadh LOL. Good luck to him, coming over to fill his wheelbarrow with cash. Do I think the signing will make much of a difference to the MLS? Personally no. It’s a massively flawed league that will take a lot more than him coming over to sort.

Yeah, tough choice that one. Live in Miami or Riyadh LOL. Good luck to him, coming over to fill his wheelbarrow with cash. Do I think the signing will make much of a difference to the MLS? Personally no. It’s a massively flawed league that will take a lot more than him coming over to sort.
The MLS has too many teams.

what do you think all the flaws are?

what do you think all the flaws are?

How long have you got? The biggest is its run as a franchise system where you buy your way in. I know that’s the US way, but most of the US sports are domestic sports so that works. If the US wants to compete with the rest of the world, it needs properly run leagues, rather than what is basically an exhibition league! The USL already has 3 leagues. They are seriously missing a trick by not bringing in promotion and relegation. If US soccer had any sense, they’d buy the USL, scrap the whole buying your way in and have ways we’re teams can progress up the ranks. The fans here would love it, teams would grow, it would overtake the MLS, it would give young talent here a reason to keep playing the game with a genuine chance of a professional career. Hell, the fact we knocked out an MLS team in only our second year in the USL and took the current MLS champions to penalties (granted not their A team) in the US Open Cup, and last year a USL team made it to the final shows what state the MLS is in. And then the bone headed comments the guy in charge of the MLS made about the US Open as a competition shows he has no interest in growing the game here, just about protecting his brand! I could go on and on all day.

How long have you got? The biggest is its run as a franchise system where you buy your way in. I know that’s the US way, but most of the US sports are domestic sports so that works. If the US wants to compete with the rest of the world, it needs properly run leagues, rather than what is basically an exhibition league! The USL already has 3 leagues. They are seriously missing a trick by not bringing in promotion and relegation. If US soccer had any sense, they’d buy the USL, scrap the whole buying your way in and have ways we’re teams can progress up the ranks. The fans here would love it, teams would grow, it would overtake the MLS, it would give young talent here a reason to keep playing the game with a genuine chance of a professional career. Hell, the fact we knocked out an MLS team in only our second year in the USL and took the current MLS champions to penalties (granted not their A team) in the US Open Cup, and last year a USL team made it to the final shows what state the MLS is in. And then the bone headed comments the guy in charge of the MLS made about the US Open as a competition shows he has no interest in growing the game here, just about protecting his brand! I could go on and on all day.
I did not expect that to go down the USL v MLS rabbit hole with your response.

Agree on the franchise model, disagree somewhat on not being a viable youth option.

Curious on the Open Cup comments, don’t some English teams somewhat punt on the FA Cup? Curious how that is different

I did not expect that to go down the USL v MLS rabbit hole with your response.

Agree on the franchise model, disagree somewhat on not being a viable youth option.

Curious on the Open Cup comments, don’t some English teams somewhat punt on the FA Cup? Curious how that is different

I’ve never heard the chairman of the FA say he’s glad no one watches the FA cup because Liverpool had to play at somewhere like Farnborough. Granted, some of the USL grounds leave a little to be desired (especially the ones that are normally baseball pitches), but these big v small gamesshould be embraced. The MLS commissioner or whatever he is is more concerned with how his brand looks than the actual competition. I chose USL because they already have different leagues, they just don’t promote between them unfortunately. I assumed MLS only has the one league. Imagine how great it would be if USL teams could end up at the MLS. If MLS teams could be relegated. But who’s gonna spend 160 million on buying a spot in a league only to then be relegated out of it? That’s why the current franchise system is garbage. Promotion and relegation add far more excitement to the game, which in turn add more interest, which would in turn add more money which would in turn attract more players, and maybe more younger players would see themselves having a viable career playing the game. I’d love to know the numbers of people in the US that watch the Premier League but have little interest in MLS. I may be wrong, but I reckon it would be surprisingly low.

I’ve never heard the chairman of the FA say he’s glad no one watches the FA cup because Liverpool had to play at somewhere like Farnborough. Granted, some of the USL grounds leave a little to be desired (especially the ones that are normally baseball pitches), but these big v small gamesshould be embraced. The MLS commissioner or whatever he is is more concerned with how his brand looks than the actual competition. I chose USL because they already have different leagues, they just don’t promote between them unfortunately. I assumed MLS only has the one league. Imagine how great it would be if USL teams could end up at the MLS. If MLS teams could be relegated. But who’s gonna spend 160 million on buying a spot in a league only to then be relegated out of it? That’s why the current franchise system is garbage. Promotion and relegation add far more excitement to the game, which in turn add more interest, which would in turn add more money which would in turn attract more players, and maybe more younger players would see themselves having a viable career playing the game. I’d love to know the numbers of people in the US that watch the Premier League but have little interest in MLS. I may be wrong, but I reckon it would be surprisingly low.
It’s shifting, but I believe more folks watched premiere league than mls not too long ago.

Will be the closest he's been to his family his entire career, and he's obviously realized he doesn't need that much money.

As a resident of a city with an original MLS team. I'm not certain what the MLS brand is.

I enjoy my local team but let's be real, we are a 3rd rate league where players past their prime go out to pasture and roll in what little cash exists in the league. Beckham, Zlatan, Gareth Bale, and now Messi come and go sell tickets and potentially become nothing more than a zoo exhibit for people to pay and look at while they do or don't dominate the league and ride off into the sunset of their careers with a fat paycheck.

These former mega players only seem to go to LA or now Miami too. They don't go to Columbus or Kansas City. Miami is new but they play to a 1/2 full stadium in a horrible climate for fans to watch the sport in the summer while sitting in last place. It will sell tickets but Messi isn't coming here to win titles. He's coming here to live the lifestyle.

Will be the closest he's been to his family his entire career, and he's obviously realized he doesn't need that much money.
That has to be huge personally. I’m guessing he left money on the table but the longer term equity stake and tv percentage might make it close to the Saudi offer

As a resident of a city with an original MLS team. I'm not certain what the MLS brand is.

I enjoy my local team but let's be real, we are a 3rd rate league where players past their prime go out to pasture and roll in what little cash exists in the league. Beckham, Zlatan, Gareth Bale, and now Messi come and go sell tickets and potentially become nothing more than a zoo exhibit for people to pay and look at while they do or don't dominate the league and ride off into the sunset of their careers with a fat paycheck.

These former mega players only seem to go to LA or now Miami too. They don't go to Columbus or Kansas City. Miami is new but they play to a 1/2 full stadium in a horrible climate for fans to watch the sport in the summer while sitting in last place. It will sell tickets but Messi isn't coming here to win titles. He's coming here to live the lifestyle.
Messi wont be a MLS or Miami savior, but isn’t in the same league as the others you’ve mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back