2022 Cobra Golf KING Forged Tec and Forged TEC X Irons

For those who asked for a comparison to the last version of Forged Tec I got lucky they had all 3 in the fitting cart, the sole was actually smaller on the 2020 version

2020, FTX, FT
View attachment 9081396

2020, FTX, FT
View attachment 9081398
Thanks for snapping these photos! I’m even more torn now between the FT and FTx.

I think my biggest concern is the additional toe weighting in the FTx when combined with a more upright club head. I already fight with overdrawing the ball and I’m worried that these two features would make things even more difficult for me.

T-minus 2 hours until I hit these!

I should have asked what X head I was hitting today. I remember the other day the first one I grabbed was crazy upright. Looked like a 9i lie angle on a 5i head, even in the - setting. I grabbed a different one that looked way better, and that's what I hit again today. I should have asked what the deal was with that. If they sent them different lie angle heads.

I should have asked what X head I was hitting today. I remember the other day the first one I grabbed was crazy upright. Looked like a 9i lie angle on a 5i head, even in the - setting. I grabbed a different one that looked way better, and that's what I hit again today. I should have asked what the deal was with that. If they sent them different lie angle heads.
They had 2 heads of each and I almost grabbed the ones that were +4 up :oops: luckily i noticed before putting a shaft in

Ok numbers as promised but take these with a grain of salt. Best 5 with each setup, using an old GC2 at GG with maxfli practice balls and a crappy monitor to boot haha....Based on what I see here though the 2 heads perform very similarly and consistent for me. FTX was a little faster and longer. I did get some more spin with a different shaft in the regular FT which makes me happy. I'd love to a real comparision using a real ball and better launch monitor in the future

RED numbers are FTX was using $-taper lite shaft in stiff flex, WHITE was FT was using Modus 3 120 XS - kind of interesting that spin went up with a heavier/stiffer shaft but I still like the numbers

View attachment 9081413

I saw about the same numbers today on the quad. Hit about 125 ball speed with a 7i, with a random 130 which never duplicated again hahaha.

These are fun

That was my issue. The 7 iron was so upright on the one that I was hitting that the toe was sticking up in the air and the club was grounded on the heel. It played with my mind and I don’t think I really released a swing through the ball because of it.

I saw about the same numbers today on the quad. Hit about 125 ball speed with a 7i, with a random 130 which never duplicated again hahaha.

These are fun
How'd it work on the course?

That was my issue. The 7 iron was so upright on the one that I was hitting that the toe was sticking up in the air and the club was grounded on the heel. It played with my mind and I don’t think I really released a swing through the ball because of it.

I asked for the one at THP HQ to be bent. I couldn’t hit the 7i more than 160 with as upright as it was. Little bend (lot of bend) and I could swing them. Ball go zoom

How'd it work on the course?

Never pulled it on turf, just on the mats at the range. It was waving to the 175 flag but I have no idea if that was downhill, downwind, anything. I just kept going wow that’s long, and so is that. And that one. What is this thing?

Never pulled it on turf, just on the mats at the range. It was waving to the 175 flag but I have no idea if that was downhill, downwind, anything. I just kept going wow that’s long, and so is that. And that one. What is this thing?
Dang really?? You should have pulled it on that 190 shot and saw what happened :LOL:

What's the consensus of the handicap area for each iron? I play an F9 at an 18 handicap. I want to stay one length, but seems like the Tec X's would be easier to hit.

Dang really?? You should have pulled it on that 190 shot and saw what happened :LOL:

I mean my 5i did just fine, but yeah I pondered it for a second or two

I mean my 5i did just fine, but yeah I pondered it for a second or two
But...NEW CLUBS! Or maybe you were hurt by the driver misbehaving lol

What's the consensus of the handicap area for each iron? I play an F9 at an 18 handicap. I want to stay one length, but seems like the Tec X's would be easier to hit.
It may be too early to have a consensus. My own feeling is that somebody who is successfully playing the F9 could fit into the FT X.

You never pulled on turf? What is wrong with you man?

Beautiful irons and a very nice write up @ddec! There are going to be some good looking MC bags coming into play!

Yeah I believe thats pretty typical. I wasn't expecting to see that much of a difference but it was a different shaft in the FT. I did not bring my clubs in today, felt lucky to even get to hit these but based on those numbers they'd be about a club longer. I might go back and get on trackman, with a real ball haha
Well, if I were your fitter, I would put you in the regular FTs in a heartbeat.

Just kinda forgot honestly, and I didn’t want to really be the first to? It’s been all mat so far. But it is bent 4 flat now, so I might as well keep it right?
It seems like I’m reading about a lot of people who would bend these irons more flat than stock.
I wonder how/why the stock lie was selected.

It seems like I’m reading about a lot of people who would bend these irons more flat than stock.
I wonder how/why the stock lie was selected.

Hard to hit it right when they’re upright. For a mid to high handicap, these are awesome irons.

Well, if I were your fitter, I would put you in the regular FTs in a heartbeat.
Yeah that was a pretty good combo. Funny that was the setup I would have picked though probably 105 X not 120x

Hard to hit it right when they’re upright. For a mid to high handicap, these are awesome irons.
Absolutely sounds like they are!

I’ll be curious to hear what people think of the turf interaction with the slightly thicker sole as well.

They felt really nice yesterday. I tried everything but the OL. They had the 5 iron so I will pay it a visit tomorrow. Oddly enough, I only had two really poor iron shots today and both were with a 4 iron. They knew I was up to something

Back