2022 Hurricane Season Thread

I’m glad to say Hurricane Ian was rather pedestrian by the time it got here. Thanks to everyone for the nice words.
Myrtle Beach is toast but we didn't get it too bad here. Glad it wasn't bad there.

we went to our house today, and my office. at my house we only had a little water damage in a closet upstairs. fortunately we just had the roof redone last year, so the company is working us in to fix it.

the office was completely unaffected. thank goodness.

the biggest frustration is power. at our house we have a different utility provider than where we are currently staying during the renovation. duke services this house, and apparently they’re awful when it comes to restoration. we lost power thursday 3:40am. current expected restoration is sometime sunday 10/2. this storm wasn’t even that bad when it comes to tree damage; it was mostly water issues which have subsided. like, what the hell are they even doing that it’s taking so long? the utility company that services our house has restored power to their entire grid, most of their customers never even lost power.
Duke is pretty terrible. I believe they service most of Pinellas County, and they had a ton of outages for a place that didn’t get really impacted a whole ton in the scheme of things.

We are headed to Mickler beach this morning and I’m hoping that the Dune restoration that was just completed in July withstood the storm surge…

Duke is pretty terrible. I believe they service most of Pinellas County, and they had a ton of outages for a place that didn’t get really impacted a whole ton in the scheme of things.

we did get power back last night around 7pm. still had to throw away a bunch of food. but if that is the worst thing, we’re doing ok. i’ll walk back my criticism of duke.

we did get power back last night around 7pm. still had to throw away a bunch of food. but if that is the worst thing, we’re doing ok. i’ll walk back my criticism of duke.
We’ve had to throw away food twice this year due to power. I feel that pain.

They’ll be back next time, probably with bigger failures

Thinking about my fellow hackers from FL and the Carolinas today. We got really lucky in the Greenville area. The storm tracked farther east than expected and as such, we got about an inch of rain and wind gusts to 40mph. Today we have 10mph and blue skies. I should be able to play tomorrow too. We were supposed to have steady rain for 3 days. Yes we got a big break.

Power outages are much worse than any other recent hurricane. 89% of Lee county still without power. Collier county is less than 50% restored. Predictions are it could take a month or more to get power back in many areas of Lee county. We are being told that they will have at least an estimate of when they can restore power in another day or two.

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.58.31 PM.png

Power outages are much worse than any other recent hurricane. 89% of Lee county still without power. Collier county is less than 50% restored. Predictions are it could take a month or more to get power back in many areas of Lee county. We are being told that they will have at least an estimate of when they can restore power in another day or two.

View attachment 9124425
The only hurricanes I remember since living in Florida are Matthew and Irma, as I got a couple days off from school due to Matthew and 2 weeks off after Irma
Would like to have seen those on this chart. It took a little over a week to get our power back after Irma down in Bonita

The beach is shrank in size and a lot of the dune restoration was taken away.
8DFB3DAB-44EB-4F46-B2D8-DEC2729F93EB.jpeg
FD214EE8-A106-4016-B743-96A738BE2B98.jpeg

Mother in law’s place at Ocean Isle had the siding ripped off of it. But, that’s pretty par for the course being oceanfront.

Based on what I'm reading here it sounds like the majority of members in the area got away without any significant damage - am I correct? If that's the case it's great news!

I received word Thursday that both Naples properties remained dry, however neither had power so our departure has been delayed.

Mother in law’s place at Ocean Isle had the siding ripped off of it. But, that’s pretty par for the course being oceanfront.
Glad everyone is ok.

I've got a friend on OIB as well. Good thing those homes are all on stilts.

1664671172601.png

We were in the Myrtle Beach area for golf this week. Got to golf Monday - Thursday. Flight out today was cancelled so we hit the road Thursday night. Long drive back to Ohio, but worth it not to be stranded until Monday. It was nice to golf at The Dunes, Thistle and True Blue, can’t complain. Hoping things weren’t too bad at Myrtle but haven’t really seen any news on it yet.

Based on what I'm reading here it sounds like the majority of members in the area got away without any significant damage - am I correct? If that's the case it's great news!

I received word Thursday that both Naples properties remained dry, however neither had power so our departure has been delayed.
Which part of Naples?

We were in the Myrtle Beach area for golf this week. Got to golf Monday - Thursday. Flight out today was cancelled so we hit the road Thursday night. Long drive back to Ohio, but worth it not to be stranded until Monday. It was nice to golf at The Dunes, Thistle and True Blue, can’t complain. Hoping things weren’t too bad at Myrtle but haven’t really seen any news on it yet.
Glad you made out alright, man!

Was True Blue in fine form?

I encourage my fellow THP friends to donate what they would spend on a round of golf to their favorite disaster relief organization (e.g, Red Cross, FloridaDisasterFund.org, etc.) Many folks have less than nothing now.

Back