2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup

So who should I follow/root for the rest of the tourney? Leaning Sweden or the Dutch but I’m open to arguments for others.

So who should I follow/root for the rest of the tourney? Leaning Sweden or the Dutch but I’m open to arguments for others.
Sweden will be hard to not root against.

Not referencing here at all but the number of folks absolutely relishing Team USA losing is astounding. And embarrassing.

It’s one thing to question roster construction, overconfidence, effort, etc. All totally fair and valid.

I get it. Like someone else said, it’s not related to the play on the field at all. But it’s still embarrassing.

If you don't want to get mocked, stay out of politics and let your play do the talking. They have only themselves to blame (or a few of themselves at least).

I really like how Spain is handling themselves. Also Japan. I think I am leaning Spain, but Japan are playing some great soccer at each level so far.

England is a fun watch too. Lots of fun teams who score goals. After watching the USWNT, it's nice to see teams score goals.

England is a fun watch too. Lots of fun teams who score goals. After watching the USWNT, it's nice to see teams score goals.
Please no England. The fans suck. They can’t handle losing anything. They beat the snot out of the Italian fans when they loss the Euros. Plus it’s always “It’s coming home!!!!”. It can’t come home if it’s never been there.

Dutch. They lost to the US in the finals last time. They're who I'm rooting for now that the US team lost.

Pretty sure THP is a politics-free zone, and I respect that. I think your opinion is incredibly disrespectful to a bunch of young American women working their asses off to win.
I think that's part of the argument. They didn't use the young American women who work their asses off, they used the tired vets who don't have it anymore.

Dutch. They lost to the US in the finals last time. They're who I'm rooting for now that the US team lost.
I think that's where I am going to land. England didn't grab me watching this morning and Sweden didn't either. I liked how Rolfo played against the US, and the keeper was unreal, but not really captivating.

The first half especially of the Dutch game was fun to watch.

The Netherlands are lucky not to be down by at least 3 goals right now. The footwork and ball skills from Spain is on full display and hopefully they can find the back of the net in the second half.

What a goal for Spain!! Beautiful

You sure about that?!
How many times have y’all said it’s coming home? You had the semi and finals put in your own nation on a neutral Euro tourney (🙄🙄🙄) and loss at home.

I stand by my comment how obnoxious the fans are. Amazing to be that arrogant when you haven’t won your own sport‘s championship in like 60 years. Not to mention the lame “farmers league” garbage EPL fans call other leagues in disrespect. Ironic since Man City, Chelsea, etc are considered completely plastic fanbases .

How many times have y’all said it’s coming home? You had the semi and finals put in your own nation on a neutral Euro tourney (🙄🙄🙄) and loss at home.

I stand by my comment how obnoxious the fans are. Amazing to be that arrogant when you haven’t won your own sport‘s championship in like 60 years. Not to mention the lame “farmers league” garbage EPL fans call other leagues in disrespect. Ironic since Man City, Chelsea, etc are considered completely plastic fanbases .
Did you feel the same sense of resentment when Cubs fans said "maybe this is our year" every year for a century?

As not a fan of Man City or Chelsea, most of Europe is farmers leagues. The EPL is by far the best league, top to bottom, in Europe. It's by far the most competitive. Ever watch a lower table match in Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga?

Did you feel the same sense of resentment when Cubs fans said "maybe this is our year" every year for a century?

As not a fan of Man City or Chelsea, most of Europe is farmers leagues. The EPL is by far the best league, top to bottom, in Europe. It's by far the most competitive. Ever watch a lower table match in Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga?

Last I checked the most successful clubs in history are not English. Barca and Bayern won 6 trophies in one year. Real Madrid have the most UCLs. Spain dominates Europa in general. So what you are saying is in general England underperforms in Europe despite having billions more money coming in league wise and possibly breaking FFP rules?

But yeah farmers league…..

Last I checked the most successful clubs in history are not English. Barca and Bayern won 6 trophies in one year. Real Madrid have the most UCLs. Spain dominates Europa in general. So what you are saying is in general England underperforms in Europe despite having billions more money coming in league wise and possibly breaking FFP rules?

But yeah farmers league…..
Top clubs in other leagues have had more continental success than the English teams. Yup. How are the rest of those leagues though? Top to bottom the other leagues (La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Eredivisie) are not as strong as the PL. Historically, the Bundesliga and La Liga, even Serie A are not as competitive as the English top flight.

Look at how many different clubs in each league have won the CL:
England: 6
Italy: 3
Germany: 3
Netherlands: 3
Spain: 2
Portugal: 2
France: 1
Romania: 1
Scotland:1
Yugoslavia: 1

Look at how many domestic champions each league has had. The EPL is a deeper league than any other league in Europe. That's not a subjective fact.

Man City is a massive breaker of the financial rules. Chelsea will be in big trouble soon, no doubt. I am not going to defend either of those clubs. It's important to remember that the Spanish government gave illegal financial support to Real Madrid and Barcelona for years. Football is remarkably corrupt.

Last edited:

You should probably google why the fans sing it’s coming home, then when you find out the words are from a song, maybe have a listen to the song. It’s far from arrogance LOL. Also, I think you are confusing City with United ;) (plus as this is the women’s football thread,England just happen to be the current European champions)

You should probably google why the fans sing it’s coming home, then when you find out the words are from a song, maybe have a listen to the song. It’s far from arrogance LOL. Also, I think you are confusing City with United ;) (plus as this is the women’s football thread,England just happen to be the current European champions)

English media treats England players like gods gift to the game then craps on foreign players. If a foreign players struggle they eat them alive/ yell to sell them but if an English player struggles it’s simply they hit a slump. The EPL teams expect everyone else in other leagues to hand over players cheap but then attempt to rip off everyone else especially if it’s an english player. Oh and trust me I’m not confusing City. One of the most plastic clubs there is. The fans barely show up and are noted for it. Spend billions every year. No different than NewCastle soon but atleast those fans suffered for a long time. Only maybe more plastic club is Chelsea that didn’t have any true fans until maybe 2005. Boy do I remember the English media when Bayern won the 2020 UCL. Salty on the air live saying they didn’t deserve it, got lucky, etc because how much they hate Germany. Bayern owned that game against a front line of Neymar and Mbappe after destroying Barca in the semis.

English media treats England players like gods gift to the game then craps on foreign players. If a foreign players struggle they eat them alive/ yell to sell them but if an English player struggles it’s simply they hit a slump. The EPL teams expect everyone else in other leagues to hand over players cheap but then attempt to rip off everyone else especially if it’s an english player. Oh and trust me I’m not confusing City. One of the most plastic clubs there is. The fans barely show up and are noted for it. Spend billions every year. No different than NewCastle soon but atleast those fans suffered for a long time. Only maybe more plastic club is Chelsea that didn’t have any true fans until maybe 2005. Boy do I remember the English media when Bayern won the 2020 UCL. Salty on the air live saying they didn’t deserve it, got lucky, etc because how much they hate Germany. Bayern owned that game against a front line of Neymar and Mbappe after destroying Barca in the semis.
So, did you look up the words to the song?

There’s literally too much wrong in that statement to reply to every point LOL. I’ll just say most people will agree when I say it’s way off the mark LOL.

So, did you look up the words to the song?

He should. He’d enjoy it considering it’s about Englands failure to win anything for 30 years (near 50 now) LOL.

Back on track, what a game from Spain to break the hearts of Sweden. I liked them to win it all once the US was bounced and they are one game away.

Aus v England will be crazy with the home crowd and I fully expect an entertaining semi.

Back