2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup

Being the most experienced player on the team and sending a PK high being one of them :)

I know it happens, and the loss certainly isn't all on one play. But that's a pretty huge miss in that spot.

Being the most experienced player on the team and sending a PK high being one of them :)

I know it happens, and the loss certainly isn't all on one play. But that's a pretty huge miss in that spot.
The US has two very experienced players miss PKs and a younger high level player.

It's a good illustration of the USWNT's biggest problem. It's love of experience over younger talent. Giving priority to older players because "they've been there before" versus youth and skill in a tournament featuring very good young skilled teams.

Last edited:
This close to having another shot at the pk

1691326994826.png

The US has two very experienced players miss PKs and high younger high level player.

It's a good illustration of the USWNT's biggest problem. It's love of experience over younger talent. Giving priority to older players because "they've been there before" versus youth and skill in a tournament featuring very good young skilled teams.
Yeah. That’s why I said you don’t pay for past performance. Rapinoe has been great for the team over the years but it was clear even to me her level at this tourney was just not there.

I struggle to buy into the fact she was our best option off the bench given current form. Was hoping we could send her off with another trophy but alas.

Yeah. That’s why I said you don’t pay for past performance. Rapinoe has been great for the team over the years but it was clear even to me her level at this tourney was just not there.

I struggle to buy into the fact she was our best option off the bench given current form. Was hoping we could send her off with another trophy but alas.

I'll be more petty. I'm glad her last image at this level is laughing about missing a PK.

still wish the team would have won though.

I'll be more petty. I'm glad her last image at this level is laughing about missing a PK.

still wish the team would have won though.
Seems to validate what Lloyd said about the lack of a desire to win. Lavelle and Smith showed some fire throughout though. I’m good with USWNT losing though. They looked like a team going through the motions that couldn’t find a way to flip the switch. In the group stage at least. I’m at halftime and it looks like a different team.

Watching Ned/RSA. important kids, remember to get your body behind the ball when catching the ball

Lindsay Horan fought like hell in every match and she was one of only two players to come closing to scoring today. She is awesome and I felt so bad for her.

Not referencing here at all but the number of folks absolutely relishing Team USA losing is astounding. And embarrassing.

It’s one thing to question roster construction, overconfidence, effort, etc. All totally fair and valid.

I get it. Like someone else said, it’s not related to the play on the field at all. But it’s still embarrassing.

Geez guys, she been a representative of your country. Maybe support her win lose or draw.

She shouldn’t have been out there. She was clearly washed before the WC. She showed every game she didn’t have it anymore. We have good talent rotting on the bench who need WC experience while you sub in a legend who can’t even keep up and was on their last legs. That’s the US federation in a nutshell. Nepotism, bias, etc. I knew she was gonna miss because quite simply she doesn't have it anymore. She lost the ball everytime in the game and killed some attacks.

Not referencing here at all but the number of folks absolutely relishing Team USA losing is astounding. And embarrassing.

It’s one thing to question roster construction, overconfidence, effort, etc. All totally fair and valid.

I get it. Like someone else said, it’s not related to the play on the field at all. But it’s still embarrassing.
For me the off the pitch scrutiny is merited. I don't care what side of the aisle they support or whatever their life choices/beliefs are. My issue is that you are putting on a kit with the USA crest. People have died defending our country and our freedoms and it seems the very country that gave you the opportunity to speak your mind and be whoever you want to be, is disrespected constantly.

There is a time and a place for everything, but never a time to shiit on the country you supposedly love and want to represent on the world stage.

For me the off the pitch scrutiny is merited. I don't care what side of the aisle they support or whatever their life choices/beliefs are. My issue is that you are putting on a kit with the USA crest. People have died defending our country and our freedoms and it seems the very country that gave you the opportunity to speak your mind and be whoever you want to be, is disrespected constantly.

There is a time and a place for everything, but never a time to shiit on the country you supposedly love and want to represent on the world stage.

I get what you’re saying. And I’m not going to turn this into a diatribe about protesting, etc. But to actively root against Team USA? To bask in their failure? Just strikes me as odd.

I guess the other side of your argument for me - you said it. So many fought and died to give folks the opportunity to speak their mind, to have fundamental freedoms. To be whoever they want to be. Who’s the deciding factor on when and how these women speak their minds? They have a platform. The USWNT has had a profound impact on a lot of people over the years, on and off the pitch.

I get what you’re saying. And I’m not going to turn this into a diatribe about protesting, etc. But to actively root against Team USA? To bask in their failure? Just strikes me as odd.

I guess the other side of your argument for me - you said it. So many fought and died to give folks the opportunity to speak their mind, to have fundamental freedoms. To be whoever they want to be. Who’s the deciding factor on when and how these women speak their minds? They have a platform. The USWNT has had a profound impact on a lot of people over the years, on and off the pitch.
I for one hate that they lost, and I am not basking in their failure. I'm upset at some of the coaching decisions and the veterans potentially bringing off the pitch stuff into the locker room for others to deal with. I have supported the USWNT for a very long time and will continue. The impact they've had on women's soccer in this country is invaluable and as a father of two girls playing club soccer, we are a direct effect of the road they paved.

I agree we are a free country, and anyone is free to say whatever they want. My issue comes when you say disparaging things about the USA and then go put on a kit to represent that country on the world stage. It strikes me as hypocritical. If you hate, detest (or whatever you want to call it) the country you are in, it's odd you want to represent them.

I for one hate that they lost, and I am not basking in their failure. I'm upset at some of the coaching decisions and the veterans potentially bringing off the pitch stuff into the locker room for others to deal with. I have supported the USWNT for a very long time and will continue. The impact they've had on women's soccer in this country is invaluable and as a father of two girls playing club soccer, we are a direct effect of the road they paved.

I agree we are a free country, and anyone is free to say whatever they want. My issue comes when you say disparaging things about the USA and then go put on a kit to represent that country on the world stage. It strikes me as hypocritical. If you hate, detest (or whatever you want to call it) the country you are in, it's odd you want to represent them.

That’s a fair outlook. I respect it.

A further debate would explore the purpose/validity of the protests themselves. A web best left untangled, I’d say! I’ll certainly concede that it’s very possible a lot of the off the field quests bled far too much into the locker room. And probably had too much impact on roster construction.

^ This is exactly where I'm at, and why I won't watch and will actively root against them. If you hate and disrespect the country you supposedly represent, then you don't represent the country - you're just there to suck up the money. It makes me happy that they lost, burn that team to the ground and start over with some actual Americans.

Here we go again 😂

I wanted nothing more than the USA to win. That doesn’t mean I have to like Ms. Loudmouth.

The rest of the team is awesome.

^ This is exactly where I'm at, and why I won't watch and will actively root against them. If you hate and disrespect the country you supposedly represent, then you don't represent the country - you're just there to suck up the money. It makes me happy that they lost, burn that team to the ground and start over with some actual Americans.
I get this position, but I cannot actively route against any team representing the USA. I have too much patriotic pride to let a small minority affect me like that. It is frustrating, but I tend to look at the glass half full and focus on what we can and will accomplish with the young talent.

You'll 'actively root against them'? Because a player or two have extreme viewpoints? :rolleyes:

Sorry - but that's an asinine viewpoint.

You'll 'actively root against them'? Because a player or two have extreme viewpoints? :rolleyes:

<shrug> You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not ashamed of it, and not backing down from it. I said what I said.

And it's more than "a player or two". I won't cheer for anybody who hates the country that has given them everything they have. It's much the same reason I quit watching the NFL.

Last edited:

I’ve always assumed 99% of those folks don’t watch a second of women’s soccer to begin with and only remember it exists when it’s trending on Twitter or certain news networks.

I’ve always assumed 99% of those folks don’t watch a second of women’s soccer to begin with and only remember it exists when it’s trending on Twitter or certain news networks.
You're probably right, and I'll admit I'm part of that 99%. If it wasn't for their actions I wouldn't even know or care that they exist, so I'll at least give them credit for putting themselves on the map in that regard. Same with the WNBA. I guess any publicity is better than no publicity.

<shrug> You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not ashamed of it, and not backing down from it. I said what I said.

And it's more than "a player or two". I won't cheer for anybody who hates the country that has given them everything they have.

Pretty sure THP is a politics-free zone, and I respect that. I think your opinion is incredibly disrespectful to a bunch of young American women working their asses off to win.

You're probably right, and I'll admit I'm part of that 99%. If it wasn't for their actions I wouldn't even know or care that they exist, so I'll at least give them credit for putting themselves on the map in that regard. Same with the WNBA. I guess any publicity is better than no publicity.
Soccer isn’t for everyone. I’ll admit I don’t know a thing about the WNBA. Tried to get into it, couldn’t do it. Same thing with non-international women’s professional soccer and the LPGA.

If you asked me just a year ago if I would have woken up at 4 am to watch a women’s soccer game and then attend a minor league soccer game in the evening, I would have checked you into a mental institution.

#TedLassoEffect
IMG_3408.jpeg

Back