2024 Better You Fitness Thread

Gotta start doing something. Can't get to a gym because I am home with the kids, so need to start working on things at home once I put them to bed!
You can do a lot with nothing more than a weight bench and a decent set of adjustable dumbbells. (Where "decent" does not include BowFlex.)

Back day has gone from my least favorite day to my 2nd favorite. Discovering new movements has made it less mundane. Rows for h... nevermind.
No no, say it.

Rows for the bros 😂

Introduced to front squats last night. What kind of stupidity is that? I'm sure I did something wrong but I have some nice bruises on the fronts of my shoulders for the effort...
No, that's just front squats.

I don't like them. I never do them nor do I program them for my lifters.

Introduced to front squats last night. What kind of stupidity is that?
Are you wondering what is the reason for doing them? The difference between (back) squats and front squats? There are plenty of articles explaining these. Just search on "front squat vs. back squat." In short: They more target the quads and core than (back) squats.

I'm sure I did something wrong but I have some nice bruises on the fronts of my shoulders for the effort...
Even I never had that happen, and I'm not particularly muscular.

Your arms have to be raised high (horizontal, at least) and under tension such that the bar is resting upon your front delts and nearly touching your throat. You have to remain much more vertical throughout the movement, as compared to (back) squats, otherwise the bar will want to roll off. Most people can't lift nearly as heavily doing front squats as they can (back) squats.

I don't have the joint mobility to do them with my hands bent back under the bar, as it typically taught, so I do them like this: Front Squat with Bodybuilder Grip | Exercise Guide

My lower days have both squats and front squats programmed, on different days.

Have you tried using a hex bar? It really helps with form, especially with your back. I started today with a regular barbell and then switched to the hex bar and I was able to lift much heavier with that because it kept me in perfect form.

With that said, I wasn't planning on trying for a PR, but once I was into the build up rounds I felt pretty good so I gave it a shot and hit a new deadlift PR of 240lbs.

One thing I have learned, and loved, since joining this gym is that I am so much stronger than I realized, and having like minded people there to push you makes all the difference in the world.
I use hex bar too when going heavy. I’ve have slipped disk, but can still deadlift with proper form and hex bar.

Run only this morning. May go back tonight for some heavy upper.

Are you wondering what is the reason for doing them? The difference between (back) squats and front squats? There are plenty of articles explaining these. Just search on "front squat vs. back squat." In short: They more target the quads and core than (back) squats.

Even I never had that happen, and I'm not particularly muscular.

Your arms have to be raised high (horizontal, at least) and under tension such that the bar is resting upon your front delts and nearly touching your throat. You have to remain much more vertical throughout the movement, as compared to (back) squats, otherwise the bar will want to roll off. Most people can't lift nearly as heavily doing front squats as they can (back) squats.

I don't have the joint mobility to do them with my hands bent back under the bar, as it typically taught, so I do them like this: Front Squat with Bodybuilder Grip | Exercise Guide

My lower days have both squats and front squats programmed, on different days.
Thanks for the thoughts. I struggle keeping my weight back as it is. Maybe the high drop running shoes I workout in? Maybe just being new to barbell lifts.

Someone did show me a version of that bodybuilder grip. I didn't cross my wrists. I need to start scoping the workouts ahead of time and research some technique. At least I wouldn't have to start from zero, not even knowing what some thing are.

I got put in remedial class last night with the womens college bball team. Just covering fundamentals of hang & clean and deadlift to press. Those went pretty well. The instructor let me join my regular group after 20 minutes to do the scheduled workout. I stuck with low weight and focused on technique.

ps I've always bruised easily. It's my naturally peachy muscle structure.

Thanks for the thoughts. I struggle keeping my weight back as it is. Maybe the high drop running shoes I workout in? Maybe just being new to barbell lifts.
An easy way to get used to the motion is goblet squats with a DB or kettle bell.

I've been struggling with squat form. Then I added goblet squats with my adjustable kettle bell to my golf swing training warmup routine. I started out with the KB at only 20 lbs. or so, and slowly, over a couple weeks, bumped it up to its full 40 lbs. This made it easy to focus on technique/form. Now both my squat and front squat techniques are much better.

Someone did show me a version of that bodybuilder grip. I didn't cross my wrists.
Yeah, you want to cross your wrists for that technique.

I need to start scoping the workouts ahead of time and research some technique.
This is vitally important! I'm a big believer in barbell work (whereas I used to work 99-44/100% on machines), but your technique has to be reasonably good. Otherwise you won't get the benefit of the exercise and you may risk injury.

N.B.: Reasonably good doesn't mean perfect. Perfect is the enemy of good ;)

It's also important to start lower than you think you can and work up to it. There's disagreement in the strength training world on this, but many feel form > intensity.

I've been ramping up the exercise and woke up with pain in my right knee this morning. I'm hoping this is just old age and that it will be fine tomorrow but taking it light today. Hoping I didn't tweak anything

No, that's just front squats.

I don't like them. I never do them nor do I program them for my lifters.
My buddy... the one responsible for all the soreness in my body these days. I mean, the one who talked me into joining this place, was actually the one who said, "front squats? they're horrible. You're gonna hate them.
Another young guy, that used that bodybuilder grip, is like 140-145 lbs. He struggled with them as well, but did 275 for his final lift on squat for the day. So it wasn't for a lack of strength.

My buddy... the one responsible for all the soreness in my body these days. I mean, the one who talked me into joining this place, was actually the one who said, "front squats? they're horrible. You're gonna hate them.
They're difficult, an' no mistake. But what fun would they be if they weren't challenging? :)

For a while there I actually preferred front squats over squats. Then I started correcting my squat form so I like 'em pretty much equally, now.

Did some presses, worked up to a triple at 95kg. 4x5 bench presses and then rows. Also coached some snatches with one of my clients.

Good afternoon in the gym.

I went back for a double tonight. Upper hypertrophy

Yesterday was an upper day: Benches, Incline benches, Lat pull-downs, Standing bicep curl/Cable reverse fly supersets, Wrist rollers.

It’s kind of hard to read, but this was today’s class, which I did not go to because my body needs a couple of rest days, but I kind of wish I had gone now. I also want to throw up just looking at that.

IMG_0528.jpeg

My wife and I got a beach walk in this morning and then I got a good cardio cycling workout in.

Cycling is helping me lean out and I’m only 7 pounds from my goal weight of 177 pounds. Tomorrow is heavy legs day.

IMG_5163.png

I’ve been trying to figure out how to strengthen my back to avoid tweaking it. In the YouTube adventure it led me to knee over toe guy who is great. This just popped into my feed. Dragon squat is a (doughtful) life goal.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to strengthen my back to avoid tweaking it. In the YouTube adventure it led me to knee over toe guy who is great. This just popped into my feed. Dragon squat is a (doughtful) life goal.

That first chick is insane, whose body moves like that, really? 😂

The last movement looks like a curtsey lunge to me, that I am sure you can do, however, it can be an awkward movement so start with bodyweight before adding any weight.

PR week is officially over and we are back to normal and today was upper body strength. Our finisher (which is often a little cardio/compound movement based to get the heart rate going a little) had 5 different exercising with one of them being a manmaker, I am not a fan. 😂

That first chick is insane, whose body moves like that, really? 😂

The last movement looks like a curtsey lunge to me, that I am sure you can do, however, it can be an awkward movement so start with bodyweight before adding any weight.

PR week is officially over and we are back to normal and today was upper body strength. Our finisher (which is often a little cardio/compound movement based to get the heart rate going a little) had 5 different exercising with one of them being a manmaker, I am not a fan. 😂

Yeah, I have incorporated the one-leg squat into my routine. The courtesy lunge as you called it will also be added. It's funny that my lower back is what is driving me to get in better shape but almost all of the pain is from lack of flexibility in my hips, knees, and shoulders.

Yeah, I have incorporated the one-leg squat into my routine. The courtesy lunge as you called it will also be added. It's funny that my lower back is what is driving me to get in better shape but almost all of the pain is from lack of flexibility in my hips, knees, and shoulders.
The body is so interesting how one place hurts but the cause is from another area. Don't forget your core either, that will help a ton with back problems. I am always working to stabilize my core, it's done wonders for my back.

Just note, SquatU is not an actual university and it's not universally regarded as a quality source amongst other Doctors of Physical Therapy and fitness outlets.

Running and arms today. Popped a rib so
I’m limited in what I can do.

Back