One thing worth pointing out again is the versatility of the UW head. The 21* is a fixture in my bag. Yesterday, I played in some very windy conditions. I was able to flight the ball down with this head and it really made a difference on a couple of holes. This is something that I just can’t do to the same level of success with a hybrid and I honestly doubt that I could with a fairway wood, either. The UW has always been such a valuable club for me because of its versatility.

One thing worth pointing out again is the versatility of the UW head. The 21* is a fixture in my bag. Yesterday, I played in some very windy conditions. I was able to flight the ball down with this head and it really made a difference on a couple of holes. This is something that I just can’t do to the same level of success with a hybrid and I honestly doubt that I could with a fairway wood, either. The UW has always been such a valuable club for me because of its versatility.
Nothing has ever caused me to pull my Blondie 5 Wood... but one day maybe my 17 might have a Cousin.

I'm so confused by my 21* UW with UST Mamiya LINQ M40x Red. I've hit some really awesome shots with it that were exactly what I hoped for, but at least half my bad shots have been really bad shots. Maybe that's just the nature of the higher end of the bag or some swing flaw I currently have. I don't blame the club. It feels and sounds as good as anything I've hit, so I very much want it to work out.

I will probably try one of my old 20* Apex hybrids to see if the same bad results happen on bad swings and then I can at least get more data before making a decision about what to do about this slot in the bag. Maybe get my but to the range as well and focus on the UW.

Could easily be the Shaft. The Shaft in my 17 is "OK" but not perfect. I've never had a Shaft fitting before but I can tell I like a little "Whip" to its feel. Still need Stiff but not Board Stiff. Probably why I like my Blondie 5 so much, Stiff Steel Shaft but with a little Whip.

I agree. It’s a very versatile club and just about automatic off the tee for me if I need to find the fairway.

For those playing the UW, I have these questions:

1. What club did this replace in your bag?
2. What does it do better, compared to the club it replaced?
3. Where does it fall short, compared to the club it replaced?

1. I had a revolving door of 5w and utility irons.
2. Easier to hit, more versatile (I can hit it high or low with more ease), better from the rough than a 5w or long iron. Just as effective off the tee as the turf. Less penal on distance loss than a utility on bad swings. Easier to work the ball with it, either left to right or right to left. Consistent distance and predictable ball flight.
3. Nothing.

For me, it replaced what normally would have been a hybrid in that spot. It is better, because it gaps into the distance I need from that spot in the bag better. It also is more versatile in terms of types of shots and the way I can flight it. I don’t know that it falls short, but if it does, it is because it is a bit less forgiving, particularly with lazy swings.

I will add, I was skeptical at first if the 2024 would be an improvement over the previous version because I loved everything about it. Having played the 2024 version for a few months now I don't have any qualms saying it is more forgiving and less penal on bad swings and there is no drop off in what I loved about it, which is that it's an absolute monster in terms of distance.

2. Easier to hit, more versatile (I can hit it high or low with more ease), better from the rough than a 5w or long iron. Just as effective off the tee as the turf. Less penal on distance loss than a utility on bad swings. Easier to work the ball with it, either left to right or right to left. Consistent distance and predictable ball flight.
3. Nothing.
I really like hearing it's better from the rough than a long iron. I struggle at times, especially with my utility iron out of the rough, and like you mentioned, those bad swing can really put me in a bad spot too.

For me, it replaced what normally would have been a hybrid in that spot. It is better, because it gaps into the distance I need from that spot in the bag better. It also is more versatile in terms of types of shots and the way I can flight it. I don’t know that it falls short, but if it does, it is because it is a bit less forgiving, particularly with lazy swings.
When I hit it, the 19* would gap very well with my current set up. Love hearing the versatility comment from you, and others, because I think that is key from this spot in the bag. I've played too many clubs that are good in specific situations, but not others. Having something that better at more, would be a nice change.

I will add, I was skeptical at first if the 2024 would be an improvement over the previous version because I loved everything about it. Having played the 2024 version for a few months now I don't have any qualms saying it is more forgiving and less penal on bad swings and there is no drop off in what I loved about it, which is that it's an absolute monster in terms of distance.
I've only hit the 2024 version, and it was really good. I almost picked up the OG UW from Callaway CPO, but keep hearing that the 2024 is more forgiving, so I held off. The talks in this thread continue to back up my thought process.

I really like hearing it's better from the rough than a long iron. I struggle at times, especially with my utility iron out of the rough, and like you mentioned, those bad swing can really put me in a bad spot too.
Utility out of a less than ideal lie in the rough is not going to end well for me. With the shaping of the UW, I have a lot more confidence with it than I did with a utility or FW.
I've only hit the 2024 version, and it was really good. I almost picked up the OG UW from Callaway CPO, but keep hearing that the 2024 is more forgiving, so I held off. The talks in this thread continue to back up my thought process.
If it makes sense for someone's budget to pay the extra of a new one vs Callaway CPO, I think it's worth it.

This lives in the 3-5W spot for me. At 17˚ it gaps really well with my 18˚ 3H, which speaks to the distance potential in this one I think. It's versatile and really is easy to hit off the deck. Biggest problem I have with it is I tend to lose it right sometimes which has been a hit to my confidence with it. Need to get this out on the range and figure out if stays in the bag. It's a good option as I think it is a little more versatile than a FW, but I'm hitting my 5W extremely well right now.

Just as long and a consistently higher ball flight for me. I think it's a solid improvement over the original.

Utility out of a less than ideal lie in the rough is not going to end well for me. With the shaping of the UW, I have a lot more confidence with it than I did with a utility or FW.

If it makes sense for someone's budget to pay the extra of a new one vs Callaway CPO, I think it's worth it.
Thanks man, appreciate the insight!

This lives in the 3-5W spot for me. At 17˚ it gaps really well with my 18˚ 3H, which speaks to the distance potential in this one I think. It's versatile and really is easy to hit off the deck. Biggest problem I have with it is I tend to lose it right sometimes which has been a hit to my confidence with it. Need to get this out on the range and figure out if stays in the bag. It's a good option as I think it is a little more versatile than a FW, but I'm hitting my 5W extremely well right now.
Thanks, appreciate it. I was leaving it out right during some testing too, but then i focused on hitting down on the ball a bit more, and it really straightened out. Still was getting good launch and distance too.

When I hit it, the 19* would gap very well with my current set up. Love hearing the versatility comment from you, and others, because I think that is key from this spot in the bag. I've played too many clubs that are good in specific situations, but not others. Having something that better at more, would be a nice change.
I always struggle with that spot in the bag, because my home course has a couple of par 3 that can be in the 215 to 220 range. Let’s face it. For most of us, a 220 yard approach shot is difficult. My 21* uw is as good as any option I have ever had to give me a chance to hit the green on those par 3s and sneak away with a par.

I always struggle with that spot in the bag, because my home course has a couple of par 3 that can be in the 215 to 220 range. Let’s face it. For most of us, a 220 yard approach shot is difficult. My 21* uw is as good as any option I have ever had to give me a chance to hit the green on those par 3s and sneak away with a par.
Difficult? Just a tad. :LOL:

Just as long and a consistently higher ball flight for me. I think it's a solid improvement over the original.
My 21* is cemented in the bag. I also have played the 17* off and on since the OG UWs were released. When my swing is good, it is a great club for me in place of a 5w, but I have come to believe that the 5w is more forgiving and my poor strikes with a 5w are less penal than poor strikes with the 17* UW. It may be a club speed issue. I have always wanted to try the 19*, but I just don’t think I would get the distance I need out of it to fill the spot of the 5w. There would only be 2 degrees of loft difference between it and the 21* and it is probably not enough. Now, if Callaway would release a 23* to the masses, I would put it and a 19* into the bag immediately.

Last edited:
210-220 in is a difficult shot for most of us. I'm finding that I'm losing too many strokes with my 3w because I can't control it well enough to hit into the green, or with my Utility because I make bad contact, usually topping it. I hit the UW well in testing, and feel like it gives me a lot more control.

My 21* is cemented in the bag. I also have played the 17* off and on since the OG UWs were released. When my swing is good, it it a great club for me in place of a 5w, but I have come to believe that the 5w is more forgiving and my poor strikes with a 5w are less penal than poor strikes with the 17* UW. It may be a club speed issue. I have always wanted to try the 19*, but I just don’t think I would get the distance I need out of it to fill the spot of the 5w. There would only be 2 degrees of loft difference between it and the 21* and it is probably not enough. Now, if Callaway would release a 23* to the masses, I would put it and a 19* into the bag immediately.
Yeah that's where I'm at right now. I'm going to put them head to head as the season gets going. If the 5W wins I may try to go with a 4W in that spot to squeeze some more distance out of it. I gamed the UW 17˚ for a good bit of last year. When I was focused and hit it well, it performed at a pretty high level for me, and I could really go at some greens with it. It demands 100% commitment though and a little different swing than my hybrids, which definitely got me in trouble when I wasn't on it. Same could be said for a FW of course, just where my head's at with it right this second.

My 21* is cemented in the bag. I also have played the 17* off and on since the OG UWs were released. When my swing is good, it it a great club for me in place of a 5w, but I have come to believe that the 5w is more forgiving and my poor strikes with a 5w are less penal than poor strikes with the 17* UW. It may be a club speed issue. I have always wanted to try the 19*, but I just don’t think I would get the distance I need out of it to fill the spot of the 5w. There would only be 2 degrees of loft difference between it and the 21* and it is probably not enough. Now, if Callaway would release a 23* to the masses, I would put it and a 19* into the bag immediately.
The 23° would be an instant buy.

I’m going back to a 2 UW setup and benching the fairway wood again. The form factor of the UW is just so much easier for me to hit.

3. Nothing.
1. Cobra 3W Baffler
2. Easier to hit, higher flight, and about 5-7 more consistent yrds.
3. Not a thing.
P.S. this is 17deg

I just took my 19* UW out of play after going to a 2i. The UW is easier to hit, but I found that I can really pop it up and only get 1/2 of the distance I want out of it where as a long iron will stay lower on good and bad shots and roll out to 75% on miss hits. It is a good club so I will hang on to it, but for now a long iron is a better deal.

An. Update on my 17 deg Tester. Gosh I love this Club.
Was hitting Driver (AeroJet Max :love:) on 9th Hole when my Back said "enough". Something about the longer Shafts really torque my Back, but didn't want to stop playing yet. To the 10th and pulled the UW, since it has a shorter shaft and slight Toe one to 85 to Pin... Bird baby. Hole 11 is a short 4 at 299 with Great Oak blocking direct path at about 210ish, its more like 250 so usually Driver with slight fade gets me within 80. Figured swinging well with UW so Tee'd up and aimed at Oak. High and over got me to front of Green for a 3Putt Par.
This club is just 👏. With shorter Shaft it doesn't bother my Back as much, and yet I'm not losing a lot not using Driver.

Back