NEWS 2024 Grandaddy Announcement

Captain is not an easy job no matter how you slice it....contrary to what some might think haha
Man it sure is. Having seen a few Captains in my THP time.

Well there were captains before AssCap became a thing so it can and has been done before haha. Captain is not an easy job no matter how you slice it....contrary to what some might think haha
Oh yeah no doubt. I just figured they created the AssCap because it was such a tough thing for them to be by themselves. Going back to that is just going to be different since we've had an AC for awhile. Even if they will be an alum

Well there were captains before AssCap became a thing so it can and has been done before haha. Captain is not an easy job no matter how you slice it....contrary to what some might think haha
This is what I heard

Comedy Young Sheldon GIF by CBS

Love seeing this announcement! Awesome way to award a past participant. I know reading through a lot of the Grandaddy and Callaway threads there is a large pool of qualified participants to choose from.

I don't know. He's been. He knows. All alumni tell people that it's about way more than the golf. But I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be comfortable in the format of the golf. EVERYONE has more fun when they are playing at least decently compared to playing like crap regardless of what the event is about.

If I get to go back and play as a player or a captain, I'd want to be better prepared for the golf too. We "know" what to expect and what the event is about. Wanting to go back and play good golf isn't that crazy to me

And this is coming from me who stressed ALLLLLLLLLLL year to the team any time they listened that it's not about the golf. But getting to go back and have a chance to play again is definitely something that I'd be preparing for

It's important to be comfortable as possible playing in a competitive environment and with the forum watching. I say as possible because you can't replicate The Grandaddy experience or getting fit at ECPC. Playing in your club's league events, local tournaments, other THP events will help you manage expectations and emotions, because there will be bad holes and you just have to forgot about it and get ready for the next shot.
Last time, what I thought was important initially, was being good at golf. It wasn't, well to a degree anyways.

The important part was posting, interacting, being quick on the updates (on course). Supporting people, accepting the support of others, and being ready to try anything.

Most of all, I think where I would want to improve most, is enjoying it. I took as much in as I could, but missed out on muchmore. More interaction with my team, more with Callaway, and more with THP.
Reading through the live thread, I could have done better at giving updates with more context as to what was happening in the round or what had just happened in addition to the photos and scoring.

I would have also taken more video to upload.

It does happen so fast and you want to find the balance between updating the forum and enjoying the moment.

Oh yeah no doubt. I just figured they created the AssCap because it was such a tough thing for them to be by themselves. Going back to that is just going to be different since we've had an AC for awhile. Even if they will be an alum
The asscap came to be for two reasons.
One, because we wanted to reward people that were truly "in on the event" with a chance to go back and cover it.
Two, as a measuring stick for others to follow to be "in on it".

Getting in is hard. Really hard. Getting in twice is harder. So having that be a way to go back, and all of the while see it from the other side was something that we thought was a fun idea.

I think the captain being Grandaddy proven changes that some. I also think the team navigates and falls in line with respect of the captain. If they are all over the place, then the team will be all over the place. If they have some guidelines, the team will follow.

If it stays 12, I hope Captain's patience is high. If I didn't have @Mmaynard11 last year and he didn't have me...if we were alone, we would have gone CRAZY. AssCap was an important role. It will be fun to see the Captain navigate it since they are a combined job now. Here for whoever it is though!
Patience indeed. Most will say that they are not captain material but when picked, step up to plate and take the role as an opportunity to prove it to themselves and thp.

This time at least the captain will have some experience under their belt.

alright, former participants...

Be honest right now, did you just watch this and think "oh ****, I could have done more, this was my chance!!!"

...don't you dare lie to me :LOL:
I’m not going lie. I always wish I could do more. So many on this board are fantastic/better in helping out others, posting about their clubs, doing the reviews, etc.

I can’t wait to see who is picked. It will be well deserved. I am just thankful in the part I was able to play and continue to support the new team members going forward.

I’m not going lie. I always wish I could do more. So many on this board are fantastic/better in helping out others, posting about their clubs, doing the reviews, etc.

I can’t wait to see who is picked. It will be well deserved. I am just thankful in the part I was able to play and continue to support the new team members going forward.
It can start anytime, right?
People ask questions or are discussing what they have, jump into the conversation.

It's so great that The Grandaddy is still rocking people's worlds!

Very cool! Great announcement and excited to see how the changes manifest.

I mean you just spent the last week with Finley…but then he saw you get beat in singles. Easy prey. I kid of course.

How about you share the inside scoop!

I mean you just spent the last week with Finley…but then he saw you get beat in singles. Easy prey. I kid of course.

How about you share the inside scoop!
I don’t have any, I was trying to dig something out of the dirt at the range while these discussions were happening.

I don’t have any, I was trying to dig something out of the dirt at the range while these discussions were happening.
You made me proud bud! Question could you face off against Finley?

You aren't kidding, it's a tough tough job. Doing it right takes a LOT of dedication and work and willingness to put your experience aside for the team and others. It's a very tough gig. I've been fortunate enough to have some very good ones that have tried incredibly hard

You made me proud bud! Question could you face off against Finley?
Absolutely, however, I make no guarantees on outcome this time. Last time it looked like this...
mike tyson boxing GIF

Last edited:
Crazy change, but makes total sense. The entire experience is so overwhelming as a player, can only imagine what it is like going for the first time and trying to captain a squad. Very cool just like everything involved with the G.

I would say I would like to be more active in the live thread. I put my phone down for most of the bus rides and during the matches I did not post as frequently as others.
Also, seat swap a little more to talk to the different Callaway staff.
Is it easy to post in unicorn pajamas?

We never got that Emmy.
Its owed to us.
I believe that Emmy moved to your home state, easier to grab now

Love it!! No such thing as bad Grandaddy news!

What a day in here… Excitement level off the charts. That’s what a Grandaddy announcement does… I love it.

MIxing it up indeed. Sounds like good changes to me. Going to be awesome seeing how it plays out this year.

Back