Tour Event 2024 The American Express

Watched it on delay so I avoided social media. What a win by Dunlap. That kid has major juevos. That final putt was center cut. Dunlap certainly looks like he has all the tools. Speed, short game and putting. Not to mention steady nerves. Only other player to win US Jr and US Am: Tiger Woods. Of course Tiger won them each 3 times but pretty rare company. Add in most recent am to win a PGA event is Mickleson. Only the two best golfers of the last 30 years.

I kind of feel like he has to turn pro now. He would have two full years to get comfortable and ensure he has playing privileges going forward. He would lose his invitation the Open Championship but it seems he has the game to play his way in.

A few random thoughts:
- I think if an amateur wins and turns pro immediately following they should get the FedEx Cup points.
- Christian B should buy Dunlap something nice.
- If he turns pro does he get the $500K that a new tour member gets?
- Physically he is built kind of like Keegan Bradley. Obviously the game is different.

Watched it on delay so I avoided social media. What a win by Dunlap. That kid has major juevos. That final putt was center cut. Dunlap certainly looks like he has all the tools. Speed, short game and putting. Not to mention steady nerves. Only other player to win US Jr and US Am: Tiger Woods. Of course Tiger won them each 3 times but pretty rare company. Add in most recent am to win a PGA event is Mickleson. Only the two best golfers of the last 30 years.

I kind of feel like he has to turn pro now. He would have two full years to get comfortable and ensure he has playing privileges going forward. He would lose his invitation the Open Championship but it seems he has the game to play his way in.

A few random thoughts:
- I think if an amateur wins and turns pro immediately following they should get the FedEx Cup points.
- Christian B should buy Dunlap something nice.
- If he turns pro does he get the $500K that a new tour member gets?
- Physically he is built kind of like Keegan Bradley. Obviously the game is different.
Did the same thing, I had a call right as they were putting on 16 and had to run out. Got back and i as able to Fast forward through all the commercials and watch his win. What a great time for that young man....

Wow! Well done Dunlap!

Sat down last night and watched a couple hours of this Amx. Was really interesting hearing the chats of Nick and his caddie. Obviously he has much talent and is another that enters the conversation of guys who may win majors in the near future.

Sat down last night and watched a couple hours of this Amx. Was really interesting hearing the chats of Nick and his caddie. Obviously he has much talent and is another that enters the conversation of guys who may win majors in the near future.
How near? Because that is one hell of a jump.

That would be quite a story. Win as an amateur, turn pro, win a major right away.

That would be quite a story. Win as an amateur, turn pro, win a major right away.
That my point. It took Phil FOREVER. We have also seen a ton of US Am champs never get one. That would be a LEAP if we are considering soon to be in the next 1-3 years imo.

That my point. It took Phil FOREVER. We have also seen a ton of US Am champs never get one. That would be a LEAP if we are considering soon to be in the next 1-3 years imo.
I think people forget just how hard winning a Major is.

There have been plenty of US Am champions that never got a PGA win never mind a major.

I think a major win in 3-5 years would be exceptional.

There have been plenty of US Am champions that never got a PGA win never mind a major.

I think a major win in 3-5 years would be exceptional.
It would defy history for the most part.

I think he will be a great Tour pro. But calling majors already? I dunno.

First to win pro as Am since 1991. First to win Jr and Am since Tiger and Tiger never won a PGA event as Am. My point is this kid is unique and the sky is the limit.

I would add that hopefully JT is back. The game is more fun for me to watch when JT is playing well.

First to win pro as Am since 1991. First to win Jr and Am since Tiger and Tiger never won a PGA event as Am. My point is this kid is unique and the sky is the limit.
Sure, but the last guy who did it in 91 took how many years to win a major? Thirteen.

I would add that hopefully JT is back. The game is more fun for me to watch when JT is playing well.
Game looked good. His wedges are always fun to watch.

Sure, but the last guy who did it in 91 took how many years to win a major? Thirteen.
Phil Mr always go for broke wasn't built to win majors. With his talent he should have won more. Maybe Nick is built to win majors.

It would defy history for the most part.

I think he will be a great Tour pro. But calling majors already? I dunno.
The pressure of playing as a Pro vs playing as an Am, IMO, has to be completely night and day.

Phil Mr always go for broke wasn't built to win majors. With his talent he should have won more. Maybe Nick is built to win majors.
That would certainly defy history.

The pressure of playing as a Pro vs playing as an Am, IMO, has to be completely night and day.
Yup, it becomes your livelihood, and majors become the main standard you’ll always be held to, and rememebred by.

Best quote from interview with Nick's Dad. When did you understand that Nick was a special golfer? Maybe when he shot 59 at age 12.

Phil's career also pretty much paralleled Tiger's. Bad timing to be a great player when there's a dominant player in the mix with you.

I think Dunlap is the most recent of the next generation of young golfers. Its a new breed coming out of college right now with the analytics, coaching, physical training and practice regimen. He said he was talking to his sports psychologist. He's a college golfer and he's already got a sports psychologist!

Its like the kids that win the Drive Chip and Putt. If you aren't putting in a ton of work at some fancy practice facility with a great coach, you're not only behind the eight ball, you're under it. One of the kids that won the Drive Chip and Putt flew on his dad's private jet to his coach in Florida during the winter. Stories like Seve and HVIII getting a break and just having raw talent are going to be few and far between going forward.

Phil's career also pretty much paralleled Tiger's. Bad timing to be a great player when there's a dominant player in the mix with you.
Some truth to that. But also maybe they motivated each other. Not sure there was ever anyone who had free reign over majors for a period of time without at least one other very stiff competitor.

Back