2024 Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls

This was an interesting start.

This is PW, sets of 5 to make the data for each ball, and I was alternating each ball for each shot. Going to try to do 8, 6, UW, and DR eventually too.

BALL​
BALL SPEED​
LAUNCH ANGLE​
SPIN​
CARRY​
TOTAL​
DESCENT ANGLE​
PEAK HEIGHT​
CLUB SPEED​
Staff Model​
112​
24​
8727​
144​
144​
52​
36Y​
84​
Honma​
109​
25​
8853​
139​
139​
51​
36Y​
85​
Tour B X​
109​
23​
8242​
142​
143​
53​
33Y​
85​
Chrome Tour​
111​
25​
8661​
142​
143​
53​
37Y​
84​

A thread I didn't expect to see pop up today. Numbers look good @Jman

Well as I’m not ready to go into the Titleist Pro V1 range yet, do with the sale on these I’ll pickup 3 dozen and give them a shot. The Srixons have been good. But I’m so excited to try these.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 7
Well as I’m not ready to go into the Titleist Pro V1 range yet, do with the sale on these I’ll pickup 3 dozen and give them a shot. The Srixons have been good. But I’m so excited to try these.
I wouldn’t view either of those as “lesser” than the Prov1

I wouldn’t view either of those as “lesser” than the Prov1

You are right and it’s a poor choice of words. I have some folks in the area I call ball snobs that laughed when I played a Mizuno ball. They all play Titleist. They’ve been playing for years more consistently than I have. But now that my kids are older I can explore more.

So it’s more of a “I’m not ready to play the pricey balls” yet than anything.

You are right and it’s a poor choice of words. I have some folks in the area I call ball snobs that laughed when I played a Mizuno ball. They all play Titleist. They’ve been playing for years more consistently than I have. But now that my kids are older I can explore more.

So it’s more of a “I’m not ready to play the pricey balls” yet than anything.
Totally get it. I played Mizuno this past week along with Volvik, so what do I know 🤣

Totally get it. I played Mizuno this past week along with Volvik, so what do I know 🤣

enough to try things and not just be convinced by a group. Which is how I am, too!

I’m shocked at how fast the ball is.

Big question for me will be durability on course.
I'm firmly where I am with the Chrome Tour. But, if I were to try another brand I would give these a go. The brand just always seems to be an after thought though some of the equipment is great.

Took these out a bit before work to the range just to work on chipping with them. Watching the spin on these is something. Heading back at lunch a bit, but I'm impressed.

I like the feel as well. This may be moving to the front of the line for my ball this year. I like my Mizunos RB Tour X's and the Srixon Zstar XV's, but we will find out soon.

The Staff Model came in just behind the Chrome Tour in my Ballnamic fitting. I'll probably give at least a sleeve a try at some point soon. Still have a little soft spot for Wilson from using so much of their stuff growing up in various sports. Hope they can turn it around.

So a little further breakdown for me as I spent about 2 hours chipping/hitting out of sand/putting with these balls. I'm not so worried about driver/7 iron (But I am playing tomorrow morning and will be alternating between the Wilson and my Srixon XV's). As the numbers are close, what I'm supposed to lose in driver distance I will almost make up in 7 iron distance. And as the irons are more my focus this year and what has really saved me the most strokes so far this season.

Anyway, that long intro aside, I spent the day really working 30 yards and in shots from rough, fairway, and sand looks. We have one spot where I can attack over the bunker with one of the pins a little behind it. Using a Mevo to compare ball spin (with the stickers on to try and track it better), I noticed about 200-400 more RPM's on the Staff for this distance. For a lot of these I was opening the face more on my Mizuno T24 60V and really trying to get it up and landing it just over the ridge and watch how the ball

What I found was that these shots *felt* softer than the XV. It was noticeable in the noise off the club. Much more muted. Still springy, but without the same sort of click on the XV's. And when you sort of squeeze them compared to the XV's, the softness does show up. I'm not saying it's a soft ball, but it feels that way when compared to the XV.

When it came to putting, you again could hear the difference in the putt on longer distances. Solid roll, but in general it just is a really nice ball to play.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 1.46.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 1.46.10 PM.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 5
Well, after my round yesterday I've decided the Wilson Staff is to be my ball for the season. Now to order more.

I played 18 yesterday, alternating the Srixon with the Staff on the front nine. It was a windy day again here in Illinois, with gusts up to about 20mph (and worse higher, but I digress). Both balls did well to push through the wind, though. I found myself really liking the sound of the Wilson versus the clicky-ness of the Srixon. But I was really happy.

Played the entire back 9 with just the Staff. Attaching a picture of the "marks" on the ball, which just need a clean really. Course was still very wet (we've had a ton of rain here and more in on the way) and so a lot of stuck stuff on greens. I had one shot with this ball that hit and buried in the green from 190 out, which was something.

Later I holed one out from 119 yards and that just made the decision for me that I will play this ball. Really solid flight, for me my 8/9/wedges really get up in the air and it did well in the wind with these as I only took one short of the green...because I got cocky and clubbed down. But the ball held firm, no scratching or wear and tear that I would be concerned about.

Attachments

• IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 4
So I picked up 3 dozen of the Yellow Wilson Staff Golf Balls after being recommended by Ballnamic.
Put them on a GC2 to do some "Data Simulation" and was quite please with the spin I was getting on the wedges and Irons.
Below is some scuffing that I was able to put on them with wedges.
Not complaining about it as you'll eventually will do that if you hit balls with wedges repeatedly.
It's more about the paint coming off more than anything.
TBH, they remind me of the 22' CSX in feel and spin profile.
IMG_2213.jpeg
I put them in play last night and like @GoodGriefMan I was quite impressed.
I hit a PW for a positioning shot and it checked up in the fairway.

On the last hole, I was in the rough, 120ish yards out.
I hit an 8i over a hill and trap so I didn't see it land however I did see it jump in the air backwards,
Why is it that I never get to see the cool shots spin back?
Anyways, I'll be playing these this weekend.
They have a chance to be in my bag for the year.

Last edited:
This is why yellow balls in my bag will always be Srixon. That's yucky.

I'll grant you that the Srixon is a much better yellow.
I'd guess if you played White you might not see this.

I'll grant you that the Srixon is a much better yellow.
I'd guess if you played White you might not see this.
Yea, it looks like paint. Can't really think of a way you'd be able to avoid that.

Yea, it looks like paint. Can't really think of a way you'd be able to avoid that.
Cast golf balls vs other methods.

I've been impressed with the Divides from them and think those will be my bad weather ball

So I picked up 3 dozen of the Yellow Wilson Staff Golf Balls after being recommended by Ballnamic.
Put them on a GC2 to do some "Data Simulation" and was quite please with the spin I was getting on the wedges and Irons.
Below is some scuffing that I was able to put on them with wedges.
Not complaining about it as you'll eventually will do that if you hit balls with wedges repeatedly.
It's more about the paint coming off more than anything.
TBH, they remind me of the 22' CSX in feel and spin profile.
View attachment 9256064
I put them in play last night and like @GoodGriefMan I was quite impressed.
I hit a PW for a positioning shot and it checked up in the fairway.

On the last hole, I was in the rough, 120ish yards out.
I hit an 8i over a hill and trap so I didn't see it land however I did see it jump in the air backwards,
Why is it that I never get to see the cool shots spin back?
Anyways, I'll be playing these this weekend.
They have a chance to be in my bag for the year.

I'm glad you saw that as well. I thought they did really well with full wedge shots/8/9 iron shots to the green. Really seemed to take hold. Very, very happy with this and ordered another 3 dozen because of the sale!

I've been impressed with the Divides from them and think those will be my bad weather ball
I just love their Tour Yellow so much.

Anyway, enjoying your feedback here. This ball is definitely one I want to try.

I just love their Tour Yellow so much.

Anyway, enjoying your feedback here. This ball is definitely one I want to try.
I will give you ONE next week. Use it wisely. :LOL:

This was an interesting start.

This is PW, sets of 5 to make the data for each ball, and I was alternating each ball for each shot. Going to try to do 8, 6, UW, and DR eventually too.

BALL​
BALL SPEED​
LAUNCH ANGLE​
SPIN​
CARRY​
TOTAL​
DESCENT ANGLE​
PEAK HEIGHT​
CLUB SPEED​
Staff Model​
112​
24​
8727​
144​
144​
52​
36Y​
84​
Honma​
109​
25​
8853​
139​
139​
51​
36Y​
85​
Tour B X​
109​
23​
8242​
142​
143​
53​
33Y​
85​
Chrome Tour​
111​
25​
8661​
142​
143​
53​
37Y​
84​
What staff model is this? There are two correct? The Model X is the one that I want to try.. I think it is going to be bonkers fast.

What staff model is this? There are two correct? The Model X is the one that I want to try.. I think it is going to be bonkers fast.
This is the non X, it’s what Ballnamic recommended for me, and it is fast.

Back