A Grand Slam... In Our Time?

I question why everyone immediately jumps to Rory when stuff like this comes up. Because he was decent in the Masters and won the US Open? Because that's when it started. I mean, he was bad in the British and the PGA. What about Luke Donald? Keegan Bradley has even been awesome this year. Webb Simpson? I think all of those guys have proven themselves more likely or just as likely to win a Grand Slam than Rory. A GS is about luck for a lot of it. All of those guys have talent, it's all about who plays well those weeks.

I question why everyone immediately jumps to Rory when stuff like this comes up. Because he was decent in the Masters and won the US Open? Because that's when it started. I mean, he was bad in the British and the PGA. What about Luke Donald? Keegan Bradley has even been awesome this year. Webb Simpson? I think all of those guys have proven themselves more likely or just as likely to win a Grand Slam than Rory. A GS is about luck for a lot of it. All of those guys have talent, it's all about who plays well those weeks.

Because Rory has always been looked at as full of potential. We finally saw a good glimpse of it this year.

Because Rory has always been looked at as full of potential. We finally saw a good glimpse of it this year.

He is a very big talent, he is young, he is capable of putting lights out and he is learning to win and win big. To dominate the way he did at the US Open is not a fluke. His name comes up because the other players see his talent and say wow.

The only grand slam I can see happening is the THP SLAM
golf2.gif
.. To win, your team would have to win the outing team competition and you would also have to be in the Morgan Cup and your team would have to win that event also. THP SLAM will it ever happen, we shall see!

Seeing as how there are only five people who have won the career Grand Slam, I don't think it's likely at all.

This is the way I'm looking at it. I just don't see anyone doing it anytime soon.

If this didn't happen during the peak of the Tiger era, I don't see it happening in my lifetime. Even if someone won the Masters and US Open, the pressure of the Grand Slam would probably assist in derailing the last two legs. I too make a distinction between Tiger winning the US Open/British/PGA trifecta versus someone winning the Masters/US Open/British with the building pressure.

Yes. 15 years from now, when its still in my lifetime, one kid is going to wreck the rest.

Back