A Grand Slam... In Our Time?

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
I was just thinking, will I ever get to see a Grand Slam? I honestly think my best chance to see one crashed into a tree in an SUV. Maybe it will happen on the LPGA, but I am skeptical about the men.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Anything is possible.

Yani Tseng may be a decent bet to Slam, but soon she will have to win 5 in a year to do it :banghead:

I really doubt we ever will, though it's always possible somebody not yet born will do it. Or our friendly jungle cat could always come back and do it, though that's unlikely.

Doubt it. Closest anyone's come was Hogan in 1953 when he won the first three but skipped the PGA.

Winning all four in one calendar year would require some to peak at the right time 4 times in one year. That's a tall order.

It would be awesome to see but just don't think it will happen anytime soon. Lots of parody in golf right now...which is not a negative thing just a bunch of great golfers that can win any given week.

Closest anyone's come was Hogan in 1953 when he won the first three but skipped the PGA.

Or when Tigger won all but the Masters, then won the Masters the next year?

Or when Tigger won all but the Masters, then won the Masters the next year?
Nope, he lost the chance at the Grand Slam by not winning The Masters. So he was not even close.

In 2002, he won The Masters and U.S. Open before finishing 28th at The British Open.

Nope, he lost the chance at the Grand Slam by not winning The Masters. So he was not even close.

In terms of number of events, he was as close as Hogan. I guess you could think about it in terms of time they were elligible, but I feel like they were equally as close. And besides, Eldrick is the only guy to ever win 4 majors in a row I think.

I think this is a record that rory could handle that is currently playing. A few others come to mind but they need one first

In terms of number of events, he was as close as Hogan. I guess you could think about it in terms of time they were elligible, but I feel like they were equally as close. And besides, Eldrick is the only guy to ever win 4 majors in a row I think.
No, he wasn't. You have to win all four the same year to win the Grand Slam. Since he didn't win The Masters, he didn't even get 25% of the way before he was done. Hogan got 75% of the way there.

He did win four in a row, but not a Grand Slam. He made up the term "Tiger Slam" but still not a Grand Slam.

No, he wasn't. You have to win all four the same year to win the Grand Slam. Since he didn't win The Masters, he didn't even get 25% of the way before he was done. Hogan got 75% of the way there.

He did win four in a row, but not a Grand Slam. He made up the term "Tiger Slam" but still not a Grand Slam.

Yes I see your arguement, but I choose to think about it a different way. And who else won 4 majors in a row (I don't count the US Amateur when that was a "major").

I think Rory could do it on the men's side. Yani can win it on the womens. I think it's definitely possible. Tiger had the best chance though with his talent.

Someone refresh my memory who holds the grand slam and what were the eventz

Someone refresh my memory who holds the grand slam and what were the eventz
The only one who won what was the Grand Slam at the time is Bobby Jones, who won the U.S. and British Opens and Amateurs the same year.

I also just realized something: "Grand Slam" is not a defined term. Many people think of it as 4 majors in a calendar year, but a lot of others (including a bunch of other guys on Tour, including Freddie Couples) consider what Tiger did a Grand Slam. Call it what you will, but I doubt anyone will ever do it again, so I consider it a Grand Slam. He did hold all 4 major titles at the same time.

The only one who won what was the Grand Slam at the time is Bobby Jones, who won the U.S. and British Opens and Amateurs the same year.

Ok, so that can't be won again, correct. So the only man to hold all four in the modern time is TW. Since the true slam is no longer wouldn't it revert to a new standard.

Ok, so that can't be won again, correct. So the only man to hold all four in the modern time is TW. Since the true slam is no longer wouldn't it revert to a new standard.
It already has. The Grand Slam is winning the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open and PGA in the same year.

I understad the tag that has been put on the Grand slam. If BJ won the 'grad slam' with two am. events and two modern day majors. That would be the offical grand slam. Since no one else has ever held all four at the same time why does it have be a calendar year? trust me I know the rule but it seems odd the Bobby's acomplishment was considered a grand slam when two of his events were not majors.
It already has. The Grand Slam is winning the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open and PGA in the same year.

Ya but winning each amateur then each open is completely different than the Masters and the PGA.
Yes it is.

And FWIW, he couldn't play in the PGA because he was an amateur, so even his Grand Slam wasn't a true Grand Slam, especially since professionals couldn't play in the Amateurs events.

So technically, it has never really happened.

I understad the tag that has been put on the Grand slam. If BJ won the 'grad slam' with two am. events and two modern day majors. That would be the offical grand slam. Since no one else has ever held all four at the same time why does it have be a calendar year? trust me I know the rule but it seems odd the Bobby's acomplishment was considered a grand slam when two of his events were not majors.

Back then I believe the 2 Amateurs were considered Majors. I don't consider them so. I don't count what Bobby Jones did, no matter how impressive it was. And Tiger has held all four majors at the same time. I consider that a Grand Slam because winning 4 in a row is hard enough, and winning 4 in one calendar year is near impossible IMO.

I forgot he was an Am when he won all those events....Pretty impressive...
Yes it is.

And FWIW, he couldn't play in the PGA because he was an amateur, so even his Grand Slam wasn't a true Grand Slam, especially since professionals couldn't play in the Amateurs events.

So technically, it has never really happened.

Actually, before the Masters came around, those two Amateur Championships were considered Majors. But there was still the PGA, so really, there were 5 Majors.

Back