A tale of two nines

Happened to me today.

Labor Day, so we know it's going to be packed. 2-1/2 hour front nine, where I shoot 46. Couldn't get into any rhythm at all. Back nine was a lot better, we rarely waited, and when we did it was for a very short time. Shot 36, One over par. Best nine holes ever!
Nice job Smalls. Painted Hills?

Nice job Smalls. Painted Hills?

Yep. Rough day to play! Played the front again afterwards and shot 43. If I had had that the first nine, I'd have had my third sub 80 of the summer.

Thanks, MO.

Know this feeling all to well. One if my recent rounds I couldnt get going in the front and shot 48 but it was as if I had picked up a club for the first time.

I remember making the comment at the turn to my cart mate that I am going to give him a better match up on the back. I bogeyed #10 and thwn went on to make 6 consecutive pars a double and a bogey for 40. I actually played like I knew what I was doing.

TapAhoy!

First round since my fitting/lesson at the TMPL. Took me nine holes to trust it.

Shot 54-40/94. Had a 7, 8 and 9 in the first five holes. Was 14 of my total 24 over par at that point, so I shot the last 13 holes in 10 over.

19 over par on the front, 5 over par on the back.

Ten shot difference today. 43 on the back (our first nine) and 53 on the front. Hit some good shots on the front nine, but chunked a lot too. Had a 7 on a par 4, and 8 on a par 3 and a 6 on a par 3. That's 11 of the 18 over on three of the holes. 7 over on the other 6.

My Tale of 2 Nines went like this for me today....
34 on the front with 7 pars and 2 birdies then..
43 on the back with 3 doubles and a bogey...
Just had to laugh it off and enjoy the company!

I'm usually a fast starter. Some of it is that the first four holes on my course are pretty easy in terms of forgiving of wayward drives, so I'm feeling pretty confident through them, and that positive momentum carries through. Sometime during the back, though, fatigue kicks in a little bit, or I'm more likely to fix a slightly more tired swing than just play it, and I get out of sorts. The mental game is the hardest part.

I had a fun Sunday tournament that started with 2 doubles and +10 on the front nine. Decided to have some fun and try to win a skin and +1 on the back. Just an evil lip out on 17 to keep me from even back.

The tale of two nines have been way too close to home for me lately. I always seem to struggle getting started then do well on the back. Trouble I'd that by the time I make the turn, the damage is done

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Biggest split

Biggest split

I was able to get out to golf last weekend and took my dad (late Father's Day present). Now, I'm not a great golfer and my dad is much worse than I am. I hadn't played in a couple of months (for a variety of reasons), so needless to say I was excited.

On the front 9, I played the worst golf I have played in years and shot a 52. I made a comment to my dad at the turn that I would need to play the best 9 of my life to get to respectable. On the back, I shot a 39 while missing very makeable 10-12 foot putts on 4 of the last 5 holes.

All of that said, it got me thinking....what is the biggest front to back split you have had?

Probably something in the 47/37 range, I really have never kept up with it. That was quite the split round you had.

I was in a tournament and leading after the front nine with a 37. At the turn I picked up a hamburger, fries and a large Dr. Pepper. Shot a 62 on the back. Never had another burger/fries at the turn since and I believe that was back in the early 90's:D

You have my 13 stroke spread beaten easily. I actually got a hot dog, lemonade and chips at the turn, so maybe the food helps me :)

I was in a tournament and leading after the front nine with a 37. At the turn I picked up a hamburger, fries and a large Dr. Pepper. Shot a 62 on the back. Never had another burger/fries at the turn since and I believe that was back in the early 90's:D

Maybe getting warmed up for you takes something different than hitting balls on the range? Could playing several holes be a better warm-up for you?

...In past year's Id say its me getting warmed up, but for about half of these rounds Ive been able to hit the range prior to the round....

Jekyll & Hyde golf - we've all done it; let's share!

Jekyll & Hyde golf - we've all done it; let's share!

What's Jekyll & Hyde golf? It's when you can't believe the same person is hitting both sublime shots, and gut-wrenching stinker shots, all in the same round. It's when you have a great 9 paired with a horrible 9.

It's also when you shoot a 43 on 9 holes when you were 5-under after 4 holes... Yeah, I did that in a High School Tournament and that's my first example (the 13 I made on the par-5 6th hole was the clincher).

Let's hear more, including your biggest spread between 9-hole scores in a single round. Mine was a 79: 47/32

I play jekyl & Hyde golf pretty much every round. Biggest discrepency I think was 49/37.

I have no memory of bad rounds............

Mine was at Royal Lakes about 6 yrs ago... My index was a 5.7 and i had already shot an even par 72 earlier in the year... I shot a 34 on the front nine ,with an eagle on the first hole. At the turn it was backed up and we had about a 10 min wait. It was then that my playing partners said "you know you could shoot under par today " Yep, you guessed it, I shot a horrible 47 on the back for an 81....

So many options to choose from!!

Here is my most recent -
315 yd drive on a 530 yd par 5, dead center of the fairway.
3 hybrid - topped, into the desert.
Wedge out - flies the green into the desert.
Wedge again from the desert, hits the green, rolls off the back, into a collection area.
Putt up, stays on the green.
Then, 3 putt.
Final tally - 8. Ugh...
:banghead:

two years ago, club championship was a prime example...atleast a notable one, beside the normal in a round....

Day 1- first time ever playing in a club championship....was teamed with a couple nice guys and one that made you want to...ahhhh Bless his heart (southerners will get it)...and as golf goes, the last guy was having a career round...(yes it was flighted so we are all within 1 stroke handicap of each other...I shot an 85 (with an index at 6.6 at the time)

Day 2- was paired with the same two nice guys, and the other group behind us...I was focused on improving and not letting others in my game...did not even hear the guy behind us, and ended up shooting 75...and tied for 3rd for the tournament (in my flight) with guy from the day before...he had my day on second day and vice versa....

was a great lesson for me for other tournaments!!!

Mine was at Royal Lakes about 6 yrs ago... My index was a 5.7 and i had already shot an even par 72 earlier in the year... I shot a 34 on the front nine ,with an eagle on the first hole. At the turn it was backed up and we had about a 10 min wait. It was then that my playing partners said "you know you could shoot under par today " Yep, you guessed it, I shot a horrible 47 on the back for an 81....

Yup - in 38 years of golf, I can say that I've truly been in "the zone" only one time. I was playing Wildfire-Faldo Course at the JW Marriott in Phoenix and I had no idea what my score was. I bombed a drive on the 13th hole and had a tiny little wedge in when my brother says "you're 5-under today, you could shoot in the low to mid-60's". I bladed my wedge into the desert and made double; then I hacked my way home to a 79...

So many options to choose from!!

Here is my most recent -
315 yd drive on a 530 yd par 5, dead center of the fairway.
3 hybrid - topped, into the desert.
Wedge out - flies the green into the desert.
Wedge again from the desert, hits the green, rolls off the back, into a collection area.
Putt up, stays on the green.
Then, 3 putt.
Final tally - 8. Ugh...
:banghead:

That's when your buddies hit you with the obligatory "Nice drive!".

2006 regional high school match I was -3 after four holes and ended up shoot 91....yes 91!

Let's just say it was an awful day outside. Gusting winds matched with frozen hands. I actually missed going to states by 1 shot. Yes, the scores were that high because of the day we had lol.

Saturday after Xmas - last round was early November and the front 9 was a rusty & ugly 47 - par'd 1 & 9 so played the 7 holes in between 11 over.

Back nine was a 39 (5 pars/4 bogeys) and one of the bogeys being a well struck drive with a 3h that ran through the fairway (230-240 yards - more than I could have imagined) and was lost. The bogey came with a provisional.

Back