adidas Golf Selling Off Golf Brands?

Adidas to my knowledge has always done well. If they are suffering it has to be due the golf, right? Idk but it's seems logical

I really like Ashworth clothing, hope someone buys and keeps it going.
Maybe Callaway should snatch them up and dump Perry Ellis.

Maybe Callaway should snatch them up and dump Perry Ellis.

Perry Ellis licenses the name Callaway to Perry Ellis.
I cant see them getting into the apparel business to compete with sportswear giants like Nike, adidas, etc.

Perry Ellis licenses the name Callaway to Perry Ellis.
I cant see them getting into the apparel business to compete with sportswear giants like Nike, adidas, etc.
Just hoping PE could go away somehow.
Their sizing consistency throughout their lines is horrible.

All I can say is "Poor Adams." Those folks really got the shaft, especially if they get dumped so soon after their acquisition.

Just hoping PE could go away somehow.
Their sizing consistency throughout their lines is horrible.

Maybe I haven't tried enough Perry Ellis but "Callaway" clothing is one of the few lines that I know what I'm getting when I buy a size. Only one style of shirt has ever come through my shop and I could tell there was a massive size difference. So I tried it on and sure enough it ran a size larger than normal. Other than that, Callaway has been totally consistent on my end.

I can't say the same for Ashworth, Adidas, Travis Mathew, Nike (their new stuff is terrible), Ogio, Under Armour, Black Clover (possibly the most inconsistent sizing I've ever seen), and many other brands.

Adidas has previously had sports investment banks try to unload subsidiaries that weren't making profit, so this isn't really a surprise if you look at the amount of money they leaked over the last couple of years. And a 26% decline combined with lower margins is unacceptable.

TM might not be that hard to sell. There are a lot of things wrong with their strategy, and I can see an investor (or investors) trying to clean up the mess, as TM still has a lot of potential. I do wonder who's willing to buy Adams or Ashworth, as I can't see them fitting at another sports brand.

Ashworth, I guess, could be picked up by anybody, but that said, I'm not sure what anyone would gain from picking up that particular clothing line.

If UA wanted a quick jump in the club market, purchasing up Adams would be a decent start, but it would be based purely on purchasing the patents. If UA starts making clubs, I suspect it will be under the UA name, so there really is no point in simply purchasing the Adams name. Really, I'm guessing UA would not purchase Adams.

I suspect this will be the death of Adams.

As for Taylormade, I don't know. I don't see them getting sold off, at least not right now. It seems like with the way the driver market is, any company is just one big release (and solid marketing campaign) away from being at the top. That may be an over generalization, but if TM actually came out with an innovative and great driver, I could see their business picking up again. But, that means nothing if they overstock the shelves and don't sell the volume.

Maybe they should bring back an old club and modernize it. Bubble shaft anyone?? (j/k of course).

~Rock

I wouldn't be surprised to see them dump off all golf equipment, including TM. If they continue to struggle, I could definitely see a large company like Adidas just cutting them loose. I'm sure TM will still be around no matter what, but I'd be curious to see what happens to Adams. I don't think it will be good.

Maybe I haven't tried enough Perry Ellis but "Callaway" clothing is one of the few lines that I know what I'm getting when I buy a size. Only one style of shirt has ever come through my shop and I could tell there was a massive size difference. So I tried it on and sure enough it ran a size larger than normal. Other than that, Callaway has been totally consistent on my end.

I can't say the same for Ashworth, Adidas, Travis Mathew, Nike (their new stuff is terrible), Ogio, Under Armour, Black Clover (possibly the most inconsistent sizing I've ever seen), and many other brands.

I agree with you. We are in the minority, but with all of the stuff I see (and I know you see even more), I find the consistency with other brands so much more troubling.

Lucky :tongue:

Must just be the curse of the fat guy.
Ordered three shirts from them on the same day once.
Three different "styles" (Opti-Dri, Hawkeye, and one I can't remember now), same size, all three fit completely different and I could only wear one. :shrug:
One of them had to be two sizes smaller.

I think they are at a crossroads. Callaway has changed the landscape and now Adidas has to decide if they are going to really try an get innovative and compete or get out while they can. They seem to be stuck in the middle, lacking direction and focus. Maybe shedding some brands would be a good thing?

I really hope someone takes a hole of Taylormade and gets it in order. I know it's sappy, but it has a bit of sentimental value since it started in a small shop only a few miles from my house. Of course that doesn't make a seemingly poorly run business need to stay around. It's crazy how a business that was at the top of the food chain such a short time ago can be in the position it's currently in. Here's hoping for better days as it moves forward.

I agree with you. We are in the minority, but with all of the stuff I see (and I know you see even more), I find the consistency with other brands so much more troubling.

As of May this year, we've seen roughly 40k polos through our shop since November 2013. Vast majority of that is Nike, Callaway, Ogio (not legit Ogio though. It's a licensing agreement through SanMar who makes Port Authority, Red House Sport Tek and others), Travis Mathew, Cutter and Buck and others I can't even remember.

Under Armour is super hard to come by on my end since they don't deal well with the wholesale side. They're mostly "green grass" and direct but they're coming around and now offer us a tactical line for army and police.

Sorry to have gone completely off topic and all this is better for another thread. Just thought I'd share my experience which happens to be the clothing industry.

Lucky :tongue:

Must just be the curse of the fat guy.
Ordered three shirts from them on the same day once.
Three different "styles" (Opti-Dri, Hawkeye, and one I can't remember now), same size, all three fit completely different and I could only wear one. :shrug:
One of them had to be two sizes smaller.

This is the problem I see with every company though. Adidas being one of the worst offenders. The "style" of shirt changes fit way too often. Same shirts in different colors will even fit totally different.

I just don't get it. Adidas should dump the tech in the Adams or Ashworth lines into other lines and do away with the all the costs that come with advertising, unnecessary staff, etc from the dying brands. I think Adidas should salvage what they can or what they think they need and move on.

I kind of figured Adams would go away after their acquisition. They only bought them for the speed slot thing right? As much as I have liked Adams in the past (used the hybos and games A4s) it's a shame, really.

Adams will become a house brand for Golfsmith or Dicks or something.
I see Ashworth as pretty inconsequential.

How many company's actually have the money and ability to purchase a struggling giant like Taylormade?
Maybe Nike?

Not sure they would get enough out of selling of Adams and Ashworth to help out much

Seems like it would be a mistake to sell TM to me. The fundamentals are there for that company, they've just got to right the ship in an area or two and quite expecting to have 50% market share of drivers. The two A's? Eh, don't really think it matters all that much. Apparel strikes me as being a TOUGH golf market and they'd still have their main product lines with Adidas. TM has the Adams patents, what's really left?

Hopefully someone with a good business sense and feel for the golf market buys them and I think it could be TM, Adams and Ashworth.

If the Adams name was sold off without the patents, what good is it?
The buyer wouldn't be able to build the same hybrids, right?
Isn't that the only thing going for Adams anymore?
I'm not into watching the business side of golf, so please forgive any ignorance in these questions.

Whatever happens I think the Adams slow erosion has been writing on the wall for a while now. Dumping them is probably getting rid dead weight on the balance sheet.

Ash worth is the interesting one bc while I've not been a big fan, it seems they sold fairly well considering the market. Again more perception than actual numbers. I can see a Macy's or other store grabbing them and making a run.

If TM is on the block, this is where things could get interesting. As much as I love Callaway & all that they have achieved the last 5-6 years, a healthy TM is good competition to keep them on their toes, and good for golf overall. I personally wouldn't want UA to make a run at them bc it would seem like an overextension into an area they have little experience with. I want to see an experienced/seasoned golf entity turn them around not a clothing company "hoping" they can turn them around.

I kinda see TaylorMade as the only thing they can sell that anyone would want to buy that's going to even appear to be worth anyone's while. Adams and Ashworth don't have enough upside to raise anyone's eyebrows.

I do wonder, though, what does TaylorMade have in the bag? Is Adidas doing this to try and recover some capital from a company that has a future, or is TM spinning its wheels development-wise?

Yes, their TX HQ was closed and Im not sure a sell off at this point would be more than a name anyway. I dont think TM gives up the patents, personally. My opinion was that Adams was doomed when Chip and Michael left the company respectively.

I thought they were doomed the day they were bought. It was seemingly a classic case of killing off a competitor and getting a couple of patents that you were about to infringe on.

Back