ddstanford

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What does everyone think about the flags at the Farmers? Some of them appear to be American flags; are they keeping them off the ground? Will those be autographed and sold? Not sure I am in favor.

I thought they did this at most PGA events, usually on the 17th, I think, and have someone in the military attending the flag.

They're kept off the ground. Usually always volunteers or servicemen/women there or a stand/peg/rack to lean it on so the flag stays above the ground.

What does everyone think about the flags at the Farmers? Some of them appear to be American flags; are they keeping them off the ground? Will those be autographed and sold? Not sure I am in favor.

The Farmer’s has a hole that has grandstands that are just for the military (at least last year it was). They get free entrance and can sit there the whole day.

That hole also usually has military members hold the pin off to the side. They had them pull it every once in a while, but I think that stopped a few years back? They would then stand between the green and next tee box and the pros would shake their hand and thank them as they walked by. There is video of last year where a caddy forgot which flag it was and let it touch the ground. All the fans there started yelling at him.

thumbs up

I love seeing tournaments involved the military and first responders.

It is a good thing, and they know the proper handling of those flagsticks that have american flags.

The farmer's had a lot of first responders in attendance. I'm totally ok with this. I was in Manhattan during 9/11... these women and men deserve every single respect we can give them. I tend to buy them repeated rounds wherever I see them out there.

Since there are American flag thongs, I'm ok with an American flag pin flag during a golf tournament. Especially with the sort of care that is shown by the service members at the tournament.

yeah, I remember getting the requests for security augments for tournaments in Palm Desert, etc. while I was active duty in 29 Palms...so it is nice to see the flags out there. It's nice to see the appreciation showed to the military and first responders.

Good stuff

Love seeing it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

They were tribute holes manned by service men and woman, or first responders

I thought they did this at most PGA events, usually on the 17th, I think, and have someone in the military attending the flag.
If, so, it's my ignorance and I guess that's ok. I'm an old Boy Scout and vet and hadn't seen the flag used in this way before. Thanks

They were tribute holes manned by service men and woman, or first responders
Thanks, I couldn't find any info when I googled it.

Very cool that they do this (y)

If, so, it's my ignorance and I guess that's ok. I'm an old Boy Scout and vet and hadn't seen the flag used in this way before. Thanks
Thank you for your service! I believe this got its start (or spread from) the Greenbrier Military Tribute tournament (I could be wrong), and some charities involved. They usually do this when there is a nearby Military installation or base. I know they did a few events at Torrey for the Military pre-tournament.

Thank you for your service! I believe this got its start (or spread from) the Greenbrier Military Tribute tournament (I could be wrong), and some charities involved. They usually do this when there is a nearby Military installation or base. I know they did a few events at Torrey for the Military pre-tournament.
I have been gone too long, so it was new to me, thanks for the explanation.

A course my Wife and I play near us does this for Independence Day. We take turns holding the pins while the other putts.

I think it's awesome that they had service personnel to attend the flags.

We do this at our club on just the 18th hole for Memorial Day, Veteran's Day and July 4th. There's a pair of stakes in the ground beside the green with a rope tied between them to set the flag against so that it doesn't hit the ground if you're playing alone and want to take the stick out.

I think it's a pretty cool thing~

They kind of caught me off guard, but am in favor of them.

the course I belong to in MN uses American flags on Memorial Day and July 4th. They place little stands next to the green to keep people from laying them down in the green while putting. I think it’s a nice touch by our course and causes you to think and appreciate our great country.

I love the idea of flying Old Glory as much as possible, but in an event like this, with players and caddies from all over the world who don't care to show our flag the respect it deserves, I'd likely opt against using it if it were up to me.

The course I belong to in MN uses American flags on Memorial Day and July 4th. They place little stands next to the green to keep people from laying them down in the green while putting. I think it’s a nice touch by our course and causes you to think and appreciate our great country.

The course I play at does the same thing...Memorial Day, 4th of July & Labor Day. They, too, have a special rack that keep the flag off the ground. I like it.

Absolutely love it. Love that most of the players take the time to thank them for their service as they pass by as well.

I love the idea of flying Old Glory as much as possible, but in an event like this, with players and caddies from all over the world who don't care to show our flag the respect it deserves, I'd likely opt against using it if it were up to me.

Just curious, did you observe any overt disrespect shown to the flag by any of the players?

Back