America's 50 Best Steakhouses

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting list. Seeing the same ad for cookware every 4 slides was exhausting though

• Admin
First went to Berns over 30 years ago. Nice to see it standing the test of time.

Disagree with some of their choices.

St. Elmo's in Indianapolis was very meh. Not even close to that good.

Pappa's Bros in Houston was okay. A little better than meh, but also not even close.

Barclay Prime in Philadelphia is mediocre and not even close to the best steakhouse in Philly. The Prime Rib and Butcher and Singer make much better steaks by far. Better restaurants all around as well. Capitol Grill, which is a chain place makes better steak than Barclay Prime, imo.

I'm kind of surprised to not see Coerper's 5 O'clock Club Steakhouse in Milwaukee not on the list.

I need to eat more steak. I've never been to any of these places. The best steak I've ever had was at Bob's in Dallas and that didn't make the list.

Berns is the only place on the list I've been. It's funny how many locals like to disparage Berns. I've been to many of the other high end local places and it still blows them all away for me.

I need to eat more steak. I've never been to any of these places. The best steak I've ever had was at Bob's in Dallas and that didn't make the list.

Come to Philly!! You can have an amazing steak at a different place every night for a week. At least.

Disagree with some of their choices.

St. Elmo's in Indianapolis was very meh. Not even close to that good.

Pappa's Bros in Houston was okay. A little better than meh, but also not even close.

Barclay Prime in Philadelphia is mediocre and not even close to the best steakhouse in Philly. The Prime Rib and Butcher and Singer make much better steaks by far. Better restaurants all around as well.

Food is very subjective. I love St Elmos and go there almost every time I am in Indy and used to go every week when I lived there. I also much preferred Barclay Prime to Butcher and Singer.

Food is very subjective. I love St Elmos and go there almost every time I am in Indy and used to go every week when I lived there. I also much preferred Barclay Prime to Butcher and Singer.

Which cut steak do you prefer?

I have not found a better Ribeye than at The Prime Rib, yet.

Which cut steak do you prefer?

I have not found a better Ribeye than at The Prime Rib, yet.

Im an equal opportunity beef eater.
Taste is subjective and everybody will be different. I prefer Mannys in Minneapolis, Peter Lugers, St Elmos and Berns to just about all.
But I found the list pretty spot on for my taste buds.

And NOBODY has the experience quite like Berns, thats why it is always so high on most lists.

I'm surprised Murray's made the list and Manny's did not. I'd rate both about a same with an edge towards Manny's from a steak standpoint. The butter knife stake from Murray's is fantastic, you really don't need a knife to cut it. Murray's does have the better deserts though.

Maybe I'm old school . But love the prime rib at the chain called " lone star" . Love getting it as rare as I can there with a nice lobster tail on the side and a big bowl of French onion soup

or enjoy the nice steaks that my neighbor butchers for us from his own cows.

I find it interesting that San Francisco has 3 on the list. The City has a decidedly non-steak house reputation. Most foodies I know will tell you there isn't a great steakhouse in town. But the list is cool, now I've got 3 places to try, which is awesome.

I've been to a bunch of these so far, most I think are deserving. To date I've hit:

#1 - very good but honestly Spago in the Four Season Wailea makes a Kansas City Strip that is far better then anything on the menu, only problem is you never know if it's on the menu
#5 - not a fan, have had better steaks at Ruth Chris
#9 - been twice, disappointed both times
#25 - I don't get it
#29 - thoroughly underwhelmed, saltiest steak I've ever eaten

Apparently I need to go to Omaha.

I am surprised Bobs in Dallas isn't on this list. One of the best steaks I have ever eaten.

Jess & Jims is alright, certainly not my favorite even in KC, Plaza III is the best I have had here, and I am glad to see it on the list.

Ive been to all listed in the Houston area, Killens is hands down the best IMO

Number 38 is down the street from my house - Hitching Post II. Its ok, but the original hitching post has it beat, but doesn't have the fame because the movie Sideways was shot at II.

Based on the Chicago choices (out of the dozens of high quality steakhouses), hard to tell what their criteria really are for the list - wouldn't go to any of the 3 if I were going out for a great steak....not that the steaks wouldn't be excellent at those but just that there are better choices.

Also, of the top few, I've only been to Bern's - bottom line is that, while the food was good and steak quite nice in my opinion, you go to Berns to drink from their unbelievable wine list (and so well priced). Last time I was in Tampa a handful of years ago, I was there specifically to go to Berns with a group of 8 to raid the wine cellar so to speak - ate dinner there three nights in a row in fact to maximize drinking opportunities. Enjoyed the steak but am really dying to go back to drink more off their list.

Back