Seems like they set aside 6 or 7 billion? to correct this and their stock also tanked. Probably a good time to buy it.

Not sure I agree with that, from the story I just read (would have linked if I still had it up) there might be 11 million vehicles affected worldwide. If the US cracks down on the fines, that could amount to 18 billion dollars. That amount doesn't include cost for recall and any lawsuits/settlements to current owners.

I am not saying that VW won't bounce back, but this might not be rock bottom for them.

Not sure I agree with that, from the story I just read (would have linked if I still had it up) there might be 11 million vehicles affected worldwide. If the US cracks down on the fines, that could amount to 18 billion dollars. That amount doesn't include cost for recall and any lawsuits/settlements to current owners.

I am not saying that VW won't bounce back, but this might not be rock bottom for them.

True but it will definitely go up, guess its a matter of getting in at the right time.

I'm not entirely sure if they can survive this if the estimates keep going up.

I'm not entirely sure if they can survive this if the estimates keep going up.

Exactly what I think. Maybe they ride this out, but the fact that it keeps growing would keep me from betting on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys really think VW is going to go under? They recently overtook Toyota for the number 1 spot in sales. They also own Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lambo, Porsche, SEAT and Skoda. Will they take a hit? Of course but I don't think they are going anywhere.

The possible solution for Volkswagen is a retrofit with a diesel particulate filter (DPF). Approved by CARB (California Air Resources board) to reduce diesel emissions. CARB has the strictest regulations in the nation. Public transport and Trucks are required to install DPF filters in California. Figure about 3-4k per vehicle. These DPF filters collect the carcinogenic emissions and when loaded regenerate (burn off). They are advanced ceramic honeycomb type filters. My company makes them.

The possible solution for Volkswagen is a retrofit with a diesel particulate filter (DPF). Approved by CARB (California Air Resources board) to reduce diesel emissions. CARB has the strictest regulations in the nation. Public transport and Trucks are required to install DPF filters in California. Figure about 3-4k per vehicle. These DPF filters collect the carcinogenic emissions and when loaded regenerate (burn off). They are advanced ceramic honeycomb type filers.

Pretty sure they already have DPF's. I know my 2013 Jetta does and so does my wife's 2013 Passat. The Passat does use the ADblue (urea) whereas the Jetta does not.

You guys really think VW is going to go under? They recently overtook Toyota for the number 1 spot in sales. They also own Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lambo, Porsche, SEAT and Skoda. Will they take a hit? Of course but I don't think they are going anywhere.

While true they edged Toyota by 20,000 units they operate at a far less profit.

Toyota ran at 10.1% while VW was at 6.3%. This is what happens when you do all those sign and drives they have been pushing for years now. Do I think they will go under? Probably not but this will set them back years if not a decade. Their drive to be "#1 automaker worldwide" has cost them immensely.

I think VW makes a great diesel and the EPA is a joke but I can't believe the braintrust thought they would be able to keep this silent forever. You know at some point someone is going to find out.

I find this story fascinating. I don't give a rip about the EPA and their nonsense so I find it comical that VW has gotten away with this for this long.

Anyone hear the story about the EPA recently releasing 3 million gallons of sludge into a river? Apparently it was an accident but they decided not to tell anyone for a day.

I'm interested in seeing which company gets caught next.

I'm interested in seeing which company gets caught next.
My understanding is the gas emission requirements are pretty easy to pass, so if anyone else was doing it I would think it would be one of the others offering diesels.

So MB, BMW or Chevy, am I missing anyone? I guess Ford, Dodge and soon Toyota and Nissan offer diesel trucks.

I could also see something like this being done with very high end performance cars trying to push the envelope.

With how strict the EPA is on Diesels I wouldn't be surprised if everyone was doing it to some extent. Jeep, they make an ecodiesel and so does mazda.

With how strict the EPA is on Diesels I wouldn't be surprised if everyone was doing it to some extent. Jeep, they make an ecodiesel and so does mazda.
Mazda hasn't been able to bring theirs to market due to the ridiculous regulations. And jeep and Dodge are both Chrysler.

Mazda hasn't been able to bring theirs to market due to the ridiculous regulations.

Exactly why someone else is cheating to some extent.

My understanding is the gas emission requirements are pretty easy to pass, so if anyone else was doing it I would think it would be one of the others offering diesels.

So MB, BMW or Chevy, am I missing anyone? I guess Ford, Dodge and soon Toyota and Nissan offer diesel trucks.

I could also see something like this being done with very high end performance cars trying to push the envelope.
I bet it won't be GM............

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I bet it won't be GM............

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Does the government still own part of them? If so it would look pretty bad.

Any VW owners?

See the third part.

I believe they will make this mandatory . I don't think dodging the recall will be an option .

See the third part.

I believe they will make this mandatory . I don't think dodging the recall will be an option .

I'm still betting it's doable here in FL, probably out of luck in states with inspections.

Either way I'm REALLY happy I didn't buy a TDI 2 years ago, I was close.

Agreed, as a matter of public safety and this being a very high profile matter I would think they will enforce this.

See the third part.

Any VW owners?

I'm still betting it's doable here in FL, probably out of luck in states with inspections.

Either way I'm REALLY happy I didn't buy a TDI 2 years ago, I was close.

Did you read the article?

Would be so easy to hold your registration hostage until you show proof it had been done.

Obviously in smog states it would be easier but it's not hard to do it anywhere.

The EPA is a dictatorship and what they say will trump anything your state legislature would allow.

Did you read the article?

Would be so easy to hold your registration hostage until you show proof it had been done.

Obviously in smog states it would be easier but it's not hard to do it anywhere.

The EPA is a dictatorship and what they say will trump anything your state legislature would allow.

Yep, I just can't imagine getting that paperwork would be that hard to show up with at the dmv if it's important to you.

Either way, the consumer is going to get screwed here.

Kia/Hyundai were hit with a penalty last year due to MPG claims....and made good by giving a prepaid card credit on the car based on mileage each year. My wife has to report her mileage each year, and they give her a credit of some sort on the card. It's not great...but at least it's something.

But I don't think VW will ever be able to fully make it right with the consumer....

Yep, I just can't imagine getting that paperwork would be that hard to show up with at the dmv if it's important to you.

Either way, the consumer is going to get screwed here.

Kia/Hyundai were hit with a penalty last year due to MPG claims....and made good by giving a prepaid card credit on the car based on mileage each year. My wife has to report her mileage each year, and they give her a credit of some sort on the card. It's not great...but at least it's something.

But I don't think VW will ever be able to fully make it right with the consumer....

what I don't get here is what they have to make right there, they did something wrong from an environment point of view, but the performances and MPG are still there. and I bet they are still doing better than most bigger cars or pick ups emission wise.

Back