Are you ok with getting paired with others right now?

To be able to play right now, I would be fine with it. As long as everyone practiced the proper precautions, no issues for me.

Because of my age (late 70s) the answer is no.

I've been walking with randoms when I play. Usually older guys who want to stay at least 12' away.

I would not share a cart.

Certainly, any golf is a bonus right now.

And I think they should only allow 3-4 somes, keeps better pace, 2's will just catch up with 4's and create problems.

haven't had any issues being paired up...

Due to age and other considerations like bringing it home to my wife who is an elevated high risk group due not only to age but health-wise, I also give this virus a wide berth. The two guys I play with, I know where and when they and family have traveled and how serious they are taking this whole thing to include social distancing on the course. There are others that have played with us in the past that I would not hesitate to let join us if they showed up as a single as we feel we know them well enough. However, the course has already had one crazy show up (don't know if there have been more) spitting and coughing intentionally contaminating whatever he could get access to He was apparently sent by his wife as they were both pissed that he came down with it and, living on the course, just despised the fact that others could be seen playing golf and enjoying themselves. Whether they blamed the course for him catching it I don't know, but possibly. . Thus, for a stranger to be paired with us, since masks are more about a contagious person spreading the virus than protecting one from getting it, he/she would have to agree to wear a mask while playing with us and adhere to the social distancing standards before I would feel comfortable. Is that unreasonable?

I don' know if I would do that. I would try and find a couple buddies that wanted to play first. You never know what others may do or not do.

Certainly, any golf is a bonus right now.

And I think they should only allow 3-4 somes, keeps better pace, 2's will just catch up with 4's and create problems.
I actually think it could be all singles or twosomes right now... unless you bring your own foursome and they shouldn't be pairing anyone together but thats just me. Any twosomes should know there is a possibility it will be slow.

Yes, I feel comfortable playing with others. I've been able to play with a lot of THPers so I know they are respectful of social distancing and protect others if they happened to feel sick (by not playing). Of the random golfers I've played with under Covid law, they have all been respectful at distancing. I did have to refuse an inital handshake and make a little joke. Once that was through they all respected the fact I wanted to keep distance between myself and others.

The courses here have been very diligent with disinfecting carts and minimizing touch points around the clubhouse. The starter yesterday, told us about a foursome that hand played the week prior and refused to leave the pin in the hole. So the course shut down for an hour and to clean all the pins. I don't want to comment on why they let that group touch all 18 flags, but commend them for closing the course until they could make it safe for others.

None of the courses I play regularly pair you with others with the exception of one that I rarely play. I have however joined up with some random folks on the course and it doesn't bother me a bit. Friday, a friend and I were playing our home course when we got treated to being joined by PGA Champions Tour player Dick Mast. Mr. Mast was never a huge name on the PGA Tour or Champions Tour but he is a heck of a nice guy and quite impressive to watch and play with. He had a young man he was friends with also that joined us. That didn't bother us in the slightest.

I also ran up on an older couple for the last couple holes there in the middle of the week last week. They invited me to finish out with them which I gladly accepted. They were quite pleasant to meet and spend time with as well.

It is hard for me to say no when others want to join. I like the company of others and it is also a good opportunity for me to build more contacts for my business as I always keep some business cards in my bag. I am not worried enough about this virus stuff in my area to see it as a huge deal.

I actually think it could be all singles or twosomes right now... unless you bring your own foursome and they shouldn't be pairing anyone together but thats just me. Any twosomes should know there is a possibility it will be slow.

Everyone gets a cart. While I miss the banter between shots and holes with a good cartner......the pace of play is SOOOO Nice!

Everyone gets a cart. While I miss the banter between shots and holes with a good cartner......the pace of play is SOOOO Nice!
When I played the other day I actually thought it was kind of nice seeing everyone walking. The pace of play was fine, though it did slow on the back 9 as I think many were tiring

When I played the other day I actually thought it was kind of nice seeing everyone walking. The pace of play was fine, though it did slow on the back 9 as I think many were tiring

I consider myself a rather fit person. I would not be walking while playing golf this time of year in PHX. It's just too hot. The shade and water carrying capacity of the golf cart is critical here. the vast majority of golfers would not be able to carry the 3-5 LITERS of water than one requires to walk 18 holes of golf in 102F and 12% RH.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to be paired with someone I didn't know at this point, but if it happened I would make every effort to stay as far away as possible

Yes so far fine with getting paired. I play quite a bit as a single. I did play with a college kid home due to COVID-19. He wasn't adept at social distancing. He liked getting close. And another guy I played with couldn't stop handing me his clubs. I made the mistake of noticing new equipment, and he was very excited to show it off. But those are minor.

I will give most people a chance. I don't want to make rash judgements. But if I don't feel comfortable with a grouping after a few holes, I will excuse myself and exit the round. I can always put in some practice time. I've done that in the past.

I consider myself a rather fit person. I would not be walking while playing golf this time of year in PHX. It's just too hot. The shade and water carrying capacity of the golf cart is critical here. the vast majority of golfers would not be able to carry the 3-5 LITERS of water than one requires to walk 18 holes of golf in 102F and 12% RH.
I can understand certain areas wont work, as well as certain courses. Some were just not designed to be able to walk.

Put me in the This has been blown way out of proportion club...So I have played often past month with whoever, as I go as single and pair up as needed or not.

I have no issue with it, pretty easy to stay 10+ feet away from the people you are paired with during the round.

They just opened our courses up again on Thursday and I have gone out a couple of times for 9 holes. I usually play solo so I either will get paired up with others or I won't get a tee time right now. They book up quickly. That being said, I wear my mask and maintain the 6' social distancing. However I see plenty of people out there who are not observing the rules and it is a bit disturbing.

As soon as my local dedicated driving range reopens (not associated with a course) I will probably just go out there and steer clear of the course for a while. That range was being very careful about following the guidelines even before they closed everything up so I feel it is safer to go there.

They just opened our courses up again on Thursday and I have gone out a couple of times for 9 holes. I usually play solo so I either will get paired up with others or I won't get a tee time right now. They book up quickly. That being said, I wear my mask and maintain the 6' social distancing. However I see plenty of people out there who are not observing the rules and it is a bit disturbing.

As soon as my local dedicated driving range reopens (not associated with a course) I will probably just go out there and steer clear of the course for a while. That range was being very careful about following the guidelines even before they closed everything up so I feel it is safer to go there.
You wear a mask on the course? I don't think I could do that especially walking. Its not required to wear them outdoors only indoors here.

I've been paired with strangers a few times during this. Not much different than normal, where you can have as much or as little to do with them as you choose. Separate carts and no pin tending makes it pretty easy. I've actually enjoyed that the people who tend to want to be right up your *as when you're on the tee give you a little more space these days.

if walking i wouldnt worry about it i guess.
now if there are carts then thats another story but id see if i could throw my bag on the cart and walk.

Yes I have been wearing it on course. Probably overkill, but for now I am not taking any chances. I didn't have any problem with breathing with it on while walking. And of course when not waiting at the tee box where you are a bit closer to others it's not necessary.

My issue was the folks just hanging around socializing who were not wearing masks or maintaining social distancing. I see that quite a bit.

Sure. Nothing dangerous about playing golf whatsoever. As long as they're not touching me, coughing on me, etc., then there's no more reason not to play with anyone than there was before the virus came to the U.S. in Oct/Nov.

At the moment I’ll be playing as a single. Of course I’d be happy playing with someone else.......but it’s going to be dam hard getting on as a single with the rules they are implementing. I think most t times will be online reservation twosome foursome groups. I think initially I’ll be happy just going to a range

Back