Votes: 58 63.0%
  • My health won't allow

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Time off from work won't allow

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Significant other won't allow

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
We dont make money on THP Events. Never the goal. In fact if you added up what was spent on the events and what was brought in, we are always in the red at the end of the year.

Doesn't seem fair to me.

I face many of the same challenges others have listed. Another big factor for me is the wife's job. She has to put in vacation requests 9 months in advance. We don't have other childcare options available to us, so me attending can mean strings have to be pulled to massage her schedule to watch or pick up the kids (normally my responsibility). It is hard for me to ask her to do it and it's hard for her to make it happen. That's not to say it can't happen, but it's definitely a something that has to be factored in and something that definitely limits my ability to attend more events.

We had to hire a pet sitter to make the Savannah trip.

My point is like anything in life, where there is a will, there is a way....THP events typically mean splitting a rental if flying in, splitting hotel with one or two other THP'ers, or driving if it's close enough. Trips can be done fairly inexpensive my with proper planning and a little creativity.
Airline mileage programs FTW

This year, I was signed up for Kentucky, but an unexpected work schedule change forced me to cancel at the last minute. The other invitationals have been a bit far this year. I'm certainly trying to attend some other events, but haven't been selected. :)

I think most of us would attend nearly every event with unlimited time and budget. It just depends. Is it somewhere I can travel to easily? Is it somewhere I am interested in going? What does my schedule look like? How does my wife respond to me suggesting I might want to go?

Every event I have attended has been a pretty good value. Love is in the Air was a steal.

I think we could add two more items to the poll:

I'm scared of internet people

I'm scared my golf game will embarrass me

I think I would take a chance .. I want to see screen name and meet the people first hand . And why they picked the screen name they did? Those stories would be worth attending in itself

I keep waiting for another Nashville event. Last one unfortunately was on my wedding day.

We had to hire a pet sitter to make the Savannah trip.
Yep. We used someone so we could both come to the Bridgestone event in Florida last year. It was a full fledged long distance disaster and she's no longer in our employ. We need a new solution, for sure.

I keep waiting for another Nashville event. Last one unfortunately was on my wedding day.

Interesting.

Question for everybody? What city would you most likely attend a THP event at?

Mine would be Savannah. Local, plenty of things to see, good food, and a fun all around place.

Interesting.

Mine would be Savannah. Local, plenty of things to see, good food, and a fun all around place.

anything within a 10 hour drive for me, or if funds allow, I will fly anywhere

We dont make money on THP Events. Never the goal. In fact if you added up what was spent on the events and what was brought in, we are always in the red at the end of the year.
I had no idea this was the case, and that makes me even more appreciative of the events you put on.

Interesting.

Savannah is beautiful. I didn't get to golf there when I went though. It was extra painful driving up to Hilton Head and not getting to golf!

Mine would be anywhere in Texas. THP had something like 50+ people sign up for a 9 person event at UST and then 20+ people show up to a Dallas gathering (unofficial/local event) the following day. There are just too many people and too many places in Texas for any THP event here not to be a huge success. Though, it sounds like every event they've had has been a huge success! The Lake Travis area outside of Austin would be a nice area, but anywhere in the Texas Hill Country is scenic.

Yep. We used someone so we could both come to the Bridgestone event in Florida last year. It was a full fledged long distance disaster and she's no longer in our employ. We need a new solution, for sure.

Unless you have a family member who can keep your pets or someone you have received great reviews on, it can be a big issue. Fortunately, we found a lady who travels around this part of the country, loves pets, and does a fantastic job. She stays in your home so the pet/pets or not freaking out by being placed in a strange environment. We came home from one trip, our house clean as a pin and cookies on the counter.

Savannah is beautiful. I didn't get to golf there when I went though. It was extra painful driving up to Hilton Head and not getting to golf!

Mine would be anywhere in Texas. THP had something like 50+ people sign up for a 9 person event at UST and then 20+ people show up to a Dallas gathering (unofficial/local event) the following day. There are just too many people and too many places in Texas for any THP event here not to be a huge success. Though, it sounds like every event they've had has been a huge success! The Lake Travis area outside of Austin would be a nice area, but anywhere in the Texas Hill Country is scenic.

I really want to play golf in Texas one day. It's been too long since I played golf in San Antonio (don't even remember name of the course). We have kin folks who live in the Austin area so maybe one day :thumb:

Attending THP Events

My first event came last year at the Gauntlet, what a blast it was. As I was new to the forum at the time of attending I was not sure what to expect at all in terms of the tournament or interactions with fellow THPers. From meeting Blugold at the airport to saying my goodbyes at the airport with EaglevsFalcon and Blugold the whole trip was amazing a true eye opening experience. Full of smiles and lasting memories for many years to come. Upon looking to pre and post event theeads these all seem to blow eachother out of the water and step up from event to event and year to year. I am stoked to attend the Bridgestone Disney event, an area I have been wanting to play for many years and who does not like Disney thrown in?? yeah nobody. I am still in touch with teammates and competitors from the Gauntlet who I am glad to call a great friends, looking forward to adding some more come September. Have made some great friends off here, so glad to be in touch with such amazing people, to call you all friends. Cheers to JB,GG for all you do to make this such a wonderful place and hold outstanding events

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting.

I am pretty open as terms of sites , but rather enjoy some Arizona or Vegas or Georgia , Louisanna sites in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what you are saying, to a lesser extent I think but still.

I know this gets expensive, but it is worth every penny.

I have no doubt it is worth every penny but with saving for our wedding and paying off a loan, I don't think Jen would be too happy if I said I was using a big chunk of what we have saved so that I could go on a golf trip :deadhorse:

I did have to say work & significant other. My job often involves 60+ hour weeks...it's not so much that I couldn't get a 3 or 4 day pass, but the end result is that my troops often come first. On top of that, much as I might like a vacation from everything, while I'm working those hours my wife is taking care of the kids, so I'm not really fond of vacations where I can't take her with me and/or find someone to mind the kids.

Some of these things change based on how long it takes to travel to an event as well. A reasonably short car ride versus a day's worth of plane travel drastically alters the deal.

Interesting.

Probably Augusta. Maine.
It's budget and distance for me. Considered New England a while back, but a dead car ended that that thought. Was REALLY looking hard at Disney, since we're headed down there early Nov, but the dates don't quite sync up.
We're small potatoes up here. Not a lot of super saver flights.

Driving a couple hours for golf? Absolutely. A couple days? Nope. Those days are a few decades behind me.

In the end, people will do what they want to do. In most cases if you aren't making it out to a THP event, it just isn't a priority for you and that is fine. For me I plan and budget accordingly so I can attend at least a few each year. I think they are great and I find a way to make it happen.

I'm lucky enough to be able to get to any event for cheap. We have enough "jumpseat pilot agreements" that I can get to any event.
The problem for me is that I'm gone away 10-12 days a month for work. If I tried to do multiple events a year that would take away from he hanging out with my girls..... and my wife would get pissed off, divorce me, then I'd be living in a van down by the river. Scratch that, I wouldn't be able to afford the river lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the end, people will do what they want to do. In most cases if you aren't making it out to a THP event, it just isn't a priority for you and that is fine. For me I plan and budget accordingly so I can attend at least a few each year. I think they are great and I find a way to make it happen.
I would not agree with this. Some of us do make it a priority but we do not get selected for events. Same as you I budget for events each year. I budeteted for either the king or legacy (the other events did not work for me because of football and work not because I do not make them a priority) when I did not get in the king or the legacy i did use some of my budget to help make branson more affordable for those that chose to come.
It's funny how things can work out, I was really disappointed I did not get in legacy but because of that I ended up enjoying an amazing weekend with 23 other THP'ers.
Hopefully next year I can get into one of the "elite" events

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

For me it is pretty much a combination of budget and significant other, she would never tell me I couldn't do anything. However, it is really hard to justify a weekend by myself all cost, time, considered when she is at home with three kids under 6. I already have a couple of golf trips that have been grandfathered into our current situation and adding more...just doesn't really sit well.

Having two Chicago events this year is huge, not having to consider airfare or lodging makes things an easy sell. I will be trying my best to get into the Gauntlet and Wilson. I have a local gathering ok'ed as well if neither of the big Chicago events pan out for me. I really wanted to commit to doing at least one big THP event this year, and hope to build on that in the future. I have been so lucky and have gotten so much from being a member here. Not just getting to be apart of the greatest golf event anyone could imagine, in the Grandaddy, that is obvious. THP has become a real part of my routine, and I have made some real great friends from being a part of it. The coolest part is...I feel like I have hardly dipped my toe in the water. With all of the great things on the horizon it is an exciting time to be around THP!

In a way I agree with Shane and Howzat both. One one hand, there have been some events that did not fill up and someone could have easily been a part of it. Now that of course would need to line up with regular life schedules and that's not always the case. I'll be attending 5 events this year and hopefully that number grows but I attest that to a flexible work schedule and being able to take vacation days whenever I need them without the worry of them not being approved. That's just not the case with everyone. Two years ago it was damn near impossible to get time off from work and if I did get time off it was spent with my family because time off was so rare. But I would also argue that THP is extremely spread out around the country now with its events and there's always something going on each month. We are given fair notice of events and it's doable if it's something you really want to do.

Back