Augusta National Golf Club - Holes 4-6, THP style

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
You might have found yourself walking off the 3rd green feeling good about your game after a couple of birdie opportunities at #2 and #3. Don't let that false sense of security fool you because this next stretch features two of the most demanding holes at Augusta National.

As we are doing throughout this week, we are using the pin sheet from the Sunday round of the 2019 Masters.

index.php

Hole #4 Flowering Crabapple
Par 3
Tournament Tees: 240 Yards
Member Tees: 170

As was alluded to at the beginning of this post, #4 Flowering Crabapple brings us to a challenging part of the golf course. This downhill par 3 plays at 240 yards for the Masters Tournament, and still a lengthy 170 yards for the members. Historically, this hole plays as the 3rd most difficult hole. From the tee box, it is hard not to draw your focus to the large deep bunker that stretches along the front right side of the green. Usually, two of the pin locations find their way on that right side, so that bunker gets quite a bit of action. Because this is Augusta and there are virtually zero flat putts on the course, this green has multiple ridges that need to be properly recognized before playing your shot. The narrowest portion of the green is on the front left side, and it also features a slope that acts as a false front. On the back left side, there is also a slope that gently directs balls off the back edge. Now if you were to imagine a line that pretty much dissects the green about 3/4 of the way to the back, there you will find the largest ridge that can help players if the pin sits just beyond the right-side bunker, but can also cause this hole to be very challenging for those who miss long. Now, as if the yardage and green were not tricky enough, make sure you take in to account the wind. With its location tucked away in the corner spot of the property, the wind tends to swirl here as well, catch the wrong wind, and you are in for one dangerous par 3. For this round, with the pin being positioned int he back left-hand corner, the smart play is something that carries the false front, and lands between the two bunkers. This result will provide the player with an uphill putt, which is always key at Augusta National.

Masters Moment: Jeff Sluman is the only player to record a hole in one on hole #4 during tournament play. He accomplished this during the 1992 Masters.

Hole # 5 - Magnolia
Par 4
Tournament Tees: 495
Member Tees: 400

Note that this flyover was pre-lengthening.

Magnolia is a hole that gets somewhat overlooked when people talk about the great holes at Augusta. For the 2019 Masters, this hole gained nearly 50 yards in length, making this uphill dogleg left hole even more difficult. That wasn't all though, by moving the tee back, the two large bunkers that guard the left side of the fairway were also moved closer to the tee box. Players who want to challenge those bunkers need to carry the ball at least 315 yards, otherwise a shot that favors the right side of the fairway will give them the best look at the green.Going down the left side doesn't spell doom, but you are then faced with a blind shot because of how much lower this side of the fairway is. Amateur players probably would not like to face a shot that has those two large bunkers staring them in the face. Precision is just as necessary on the approach shot because this green has one long ridge that starts in the back middle right, goes down the right side, and swings back over across the front. Bailing out to the short right of the green is safe; however, missing left can usher in a big number.

Magnolia is generally one of the toughest scoring par 4's on the property as it comes in as the 5th hardest hole in Masters history. After the modifications that took place last year, it ranked as the most difficult hole on the golf course. Masters Champion Tiger Woods made a bogey on this hole all four rounds of the 2019 Masters. He wasn't alone; no other hole on the course had more bogies during last year's tournament.

Masters Moment: Jack Nicklaus once eagled this hole twice in three days. You might think that was during his prime years, nope, it was 1995.

Hole #6 Juniper
Par 3
Tournament Tee: 180
Members Tee: 165

Hopefully, holes 4 and 5 didn't beat you up too badly because this 6th hole can be a scoring opportunity depending on the flag location. This par 3 once again sets up from an elevated tee box looking down to the green. While the green is relatively generous in size, it is split into sections, which dictate how aggressive one can be. For the final round in 2019, the pin sits on the top right side of the green, which has the smallest landing area. Adam Scott once said that trying to land the ball on the top right of 6 is like trying to land the ball on a hood of car. Players need to be careful when trying to find that plateau for coming up slightly short, or left, and the ball will be funneled away by the massive slope of the green. A shot that looked like it could have been within 15 feet could now be 50 feet away, leaving you a long uphill putt. When the pin is located on the front left of the green, players can use that slope to their advantage. On the occasion that the pin sits in the back left, players would do themselves good not to miss long. Aiming for the middle of the green on that day ensures an uphill putt. Distance isn't the problem here, it is just making sure you don't short side yourself or hit the wrong side of the three major ridges that come in to the play here.

Masters Moment: During his final round in Masters Competition, while Arnold Palmer was playing the 6th hole, Jack Nicklaus, a long time rival and friend, was on the 16th hole which runs adjacent to the 6th. Upon seeing Arnie, Jack shot him a thumbs up to show support for his friend during his 50th Masters Tournament.

So there are holes 4-5-6. We have two challenging holes and one that is pin dependent. How do you think you would play on these? What is your strategy? And how do you think you are feeling after this stretch?

Good stuff Deano! This 3 hole stretch may be the toughest on the course! These 2 par 3’s are intimidating & the green on the 5th hole is ridiculous. Good luck players!!

#4 slight downhill, green a little elevated, I’m playing a 6 iron to the middle left green, 2 putt par.
#5 slight uphill fairway, I’m hitting driver center right 260ish due to incline, with it being a little up hill second shot 8 iron center of the green, pin is center soooooo 1 putt birdie :eek:.
#6 sight downhill, I’m hitting 7 iron center of the green, 2 putt par.

Awesome day 2!

#4 That 240yd par 3 is a beast and would be tough to get home in 3. I'm going hybrid in, chip up and likely 2 putt for bogey.

#5 I'm going driver, 6 iron in, chip up and hopefully get it closer enough to putt for par.

#6 180yd in, I'm going with 8I in hoping for a 2 putt par.

Welp here we go—-

#4- I’m trying to hit the opening between the two bunkers but would likely get caught up in the swirling wind. End up with Hasselhoff on the beach with my 6i. So we’re grabbing a wedge and hacking out of the sand, but with the pressure on I’m likely barely getting out or skulling it. For the sake of discussion here we are two putting and moving on to 5.

#5- Driver off the tee as my miss is right, and well that sets up a bit better for the hole anyway. Nice 8 into the green knowing that short right isn’t too penal GIR and two putt par we are moving on.

#6-Feeling pretty good about this one, pulling my favorite club and letting normal shot shape work it’s magic. 7i gets me snug and what do you know I got used to green speed and make a bird. (A fella can dream right?

After a rough start feeling like we are back in the groove here.

Enjoying this gents thanks for making it happen @ddec and @MWard

At 240 I am hitting a four iron. Lucky to hit the green most likely trying to get up and down. Even more likely walking away with biggie.

next hole, hitting driver and hoping for a chance to get home in two. Will in reality most likely end up short sided and walk away with a luck par.

after that at 180 I am hitting an 8 and aiming for the center of the green looking for a two putt to move on with my life.

Member Tees!

#4: Long iron, aim between the bunkers and land on the green. If it rolls up to the pin, great! Otherwise, just make it onto the green in one piece.

#5: Oof. Whatever doesn't bring the fairway bunker into play - par is near-impossible from those. Best position is on the upper fairway level. Hybrid into the green, favoring short and right. Putt/chutt up to the hole and be happy to leave with just a bogey.

#6: Long and right is OK here. Don't chip past the hole (that slope is a killer) and par becomes very obtainable.

2019 Pros from the Tour Tees:

#4: 3 birdies, 15 bogeys, 2 double
#5: 3 birdies, 21 bogeys, 1 double
#6: 10 birdies, 14 bogeys

Last edited:
I stood by the 6th tee on Thursday last year. There were two men and a dog when I first arrived, but two hours later when Tiger, Rory and others were playing it, I was in pole position next to the tee box. With the pin back right, the players were teeing off five yard from where I was standing. The pin is a b*tch, Almost exactly where it was on that day , and where Sergio four putted. Aim for the middle of the green and you will end up at the bottom of the green with a probable three putt, if you putt well. Length is everything, you are better long off the back than the middle.

3/4 6 iron shaping it from the middle of the green to hit the up slope and kill the bounce.

I would finish these three holes a blubbering wreck. I have no doubt at all.

I heart Magnolia though, for multiple reasons.

#4: My 5 iron with some luck will catch the right side of the green but that will be my only luck as 3 putts later I walk to the next tee.
#5: Driver to the left with 2nd shot in bunker..3rd in bunker Pretty hole but brutal. Walk off with a snowman. Maybe a Pimento sandwich will help!
#6: 5 iron miss to the right. Flop shot does not want to stay on top shelf and rolls down giving me another 3 putt. Need something stronger than Pimento!

The short right bunker on #4 has my name written all over it.

The short right bunker on #4 has my name written all over it.

If we were playing the pro tees, I’d probably be hitting 3w or driver. Which brings in that left miss and shades of Phil Mickelson in 2012. I’d probably walk off with a triple just like he did.

#4 - Whew - Tourney tees would destroy me on this hole would most likely play as a par 4 and end up with 6 - Since I believe we are playing the members tees at 170 and a back left pin I am taking 5 Iron and hoping to catch the green otherwise up and down.
#5 - Driver aimed to the right of the bunkers and realistically 6 or 7 iron into the green and then likely a 60 degree wedge at the flag and then prayers before I hit my two putts
#6 Let's go with a 6 iron here to get to the putting surface and then hit three mind numbing putts. Might include some curse words as the plateau will almost guarantee a bad placement of the tee shot (assuming i hit the green) or an even worse situation as my chip rolls to the opposite section of the green.

Deep breath - after the 6 challenging holes maybe its time for a low low price $4 Augusta National beer.

I would finish these three holes a blubbering wreck. I have no doubt at all.

I heart Magnolia though, for multiple reasons.

I know you dislike him, but I have a funny story of Poulter on Magnolia.

We were on the right side of the fairway during one of the practice days. He drops a ball in the 2nd cut. Takes a hybrid out and fires it at the green. He got ready to do it again, then looks at his caddy and says, rough seems long this year, when do you supposed they will cut it. Immediately after striking the second shot, his caddies says “Weds around midnight” with a big laugh.

We’re playing the member tees correct?

4.. I'm not gonna lie, I hate the way they lengthened this hole. With OB long, it can reward those with luck more than skill if you get swirling winds and gusts. Case in point, Ernie Els found OB long a few years after the lengthening because the wind went from into to down, and he launched 3w over the complex. Just seems at that distance, it's a little harsh. They've fixed some of that with the lengthening of 5, but it still makes for a really hard green to hit with a long iron or fairway wood.

I would likely be taking 7i and just trying to hit something turning a little right to left off that right bunker. With it downhill, I don't think the bunker is in play unless poor contact or it's into the wind. I do however, feel 3 putt or even 4 putt is in play. If it doesn't turn over, I'm stuck either just above that slope or right in the middle of it. If you asked me hey do you want a 4 here, I'd just say yeah sounds good see ya'll on 5. 90% of bogey.

5. The way they made the new tee on 5 is pretty crazy. You know it's brand new, but it looks like it's been there a while. The tee though from back there makes that tee shot just feel like you're in another zipcode. From the member tee, it's about 228 uphill to carry the bunkers. I feel like I could either hit driver and be okay, or 3w if I'm really worried about something. The fairway doesn't start to pinch in until about the 280 mark from the member tee, so I'm not super worried about the tee shot. The green on the other hand... LOL. Give me the yardage over the ridge and to the back left towards the bunker. I want something I can hit into that location, having about.. 8-10yds of landing area. May not be terrible with a short iron in hand. Still guessing I make bogey even when hitting the green.

6. Anything over that pin is dead for the most part unless you hit something absurd, or you make a really good putt. I think I'm just aiming center back and dealing with a long, uphill putt in that 40-50ft range on a good shot. Anything that fades towards the pin was really just a bad shot haha. I'll be nice to myself and say I hit it within 6ft and limped it in for par, because 4 and 5 beat me up and I'm looking for the hospitality area that I know I walked by but I'm also wondering if I can find a way back to it. I can't, and I'm really bummed about this.

Yes. Don't even bother looking back at the tournament tees lol
When I read through a lot of answers from yesterday and today, it looks like people are going with pro tees? 🤷‍♂️
Either way It’s fun, thanks!

When I read through a lot of answers from yesterday and today, it looks like people are going with pro tees? 🤷‍♂️
Either way It’s fun, thanks!

I noticed that. People like to skim a bit haha

4.. I'm not gonna lie, I hate the way they lengthened this hole. With OB long, it can reward those with luck more than skill if you get swirling winds and gusts. Case in point, Ernie Els found OB long a few years after the lengthening because the wind went from into to down, and he launched 3w over the complex. Just seems at that distance, it's a little harsh. They've fixed some of that with the lengthening of 5, but it still makes for a really hard green to hit with a long iron or fairway wood.

I would likely be taking 7i and just trying to hit something turning a little right to left off that right bunker. With it downhill, I don't think the bunker is in play unless poor contact or it's into the wind. I do however, feel 3 putt or even 4 putt is in play. If it doesn't turn over, I'm stuck either just above that slope or right in the middle of it. If you asked me hey do you want a 4 here, I'd just say yeah sounds good see ya'll on 5. 90% of bogey.

5. The way they made the new tee on 5 is pretty crazy. You know it's brand new, but it looks like it's been there a while. The tee though from back there makes that tee shot just feel like you're in another zipcode. From the member tee, it's about 228 uphill to carry the bunkers. I feel like I could either hit driver and be okay, or 3w if I'm really worried about something. The fairway doesn't start to pinch in until about the 280 mark from the member tee, so I'm not super worried about the tee shot. The green on the other hand... LOL. Give me the yardage over the ridge and to the back left towards the bunker. I want something I can hit into that location, having about.. 8-10yds of landing area. May not be terrible with a short iron in hand. Still guessing I make bogey even when hitting the green.

6. Anything over that pin is dead for the most part unless you hit something absurd, or you make a really good putt. I think I'm just aiming center back and dealing with a long, uphill putt in that 40-50ft range on a good shot. Anything that fades towards the pin was really just a bad shot haha. I'll be nice to myself and say I hit it within 6ft and limped it in for par, because 4 and 5 beat me up and I'm looking for the hospitality area that I know I walked by but I'm also wondering if I can find a way back to it. I can't, and I'm really bummed about this.

isn't that so Augusta? They make changes that you think have been the original part of the design.

4 - 6 iron drawn off the right side of the right bunker to about 30 feet. 3 putt bogey

5- Driver into one of the fairway bunkers, come up well short of the green with my 2nd shot because I am not used to hitting out of real sand, chip up and 2 putt for a bogey.

6 - 6 iron swung easy to try to hold off my normal draw. Hopefully it works and I catch the middle of the green. Faced with a very long putt to the back right hole location, I likely 3 putt for another bogey.

In honor of this thread, I am eating a pimento cheese sandwich (sans pimentos).

isn't that so Augusta? They make changes that you think have been the original part of the design.

If I can remember to bring a real camera, I'll take photos of it. It looks spectacular until you see that tee shot and you're like oh no. Nooo no no no do not like.

If I can remember to bring a real camera, I'll take photos of it. It looks spectacular until you see that tee shot and you're like oh no. Nooo no no no do not like.

I think all of mine from my 3 visits are on my desktop PC, which still isn't hooked up since we moved.

Back