Back to the Future: Irons Played

Two sets:
Ping Eye 2 (just loved owning them when I was young)
Callaway Diablo Edge (I hit the heck out of those)

My only experiences with the TaylorMade Burner 2.0 irons was 1) borrowing my buddy's 9-iron to hit a shot over some trees, and 2) one round with borrowed clubs. But man those irons felt sweet! I'd like to game them for a while to see if I'd want to switch permanently.

I played the original Ping Eyes for 10 years and hit them a TON, but I’d have to say my favorite Pings were i25’s followed by the forged Ansers. I did like those forged Ansers though...

Out of irons I've gamed, PING i20s all day. Only real lasting sellers remorse that I've experienced.

Mizuno MP-57. Actually considering this right now for no good reason other than I can.

Tommy Armour 845 s Silver Scots

Callaway Diablo Edge. Those things were the definition of "point and shoot".

Sam Snead Blue Ridge
Spalding Executive
Kunnan Something or Other
Tour Edge Bazooka QL
Ping G
TaylorMade M4
Callaway Mavrik Max

Titleist OG Black DCIs. There was a nice period of time where the 1 iron in that set was my favorite club. And then one day, like a fart in the breeze, all the good shots were gone. I never hit it well again.

I have some Mizuno mp60 that I used to use and loved them.

Mizuno MGC-35….

Great Titanium heads but the shafts were far too flexy.

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cobra S3 irons. Very forgiving and long!
It’s a shame they never sold well. New sets could be had years after production.

Ping Eye 2s would get the nod from me, I still have a soft spot for them all these years later.

These have all been in the bag for at least 1 round so far this year (2022)

88 Hogan Apex Redline
98 Ping ISI Nickel
99 Hogan Apex
Callaway Apex CF16
Hogan PTx

enjoy them all, but there is nothing like the feeling of a pured Apex Redline

Mizuno MP-57. Actually considering this right now for no good reason other than I can.
Yes! First time I’ve ever come across someone else who also played the MP-57’s!

These would be my choice, and I still have them as well!

Here’s the set I built back in 2020:

934D40AB-9C86-43C6-9460-542CA711C71B.jpeg

B737E978-2E56-4712-A66B-E37116F4D6C1.jpeg

8A373C93-9D1E-48EF-8027-4795C9A39BF0.jpeg

Well, I responded differently 2 years ago. Will forever have a soft spot for my then mentioned KZG Forged Blades (btw, cRaZy that post was so long ago! Reading it now, it feels like, merely a few months).

But since, after moving on from my regular set to first, the P790, and then, the i500, I have THE answer to which set I'd put back in my bag right now if I ever had the chance.

Callaway Apex CF-16 with stiff Steelfiber i-95 shafts.

So... it's a darned good thing that I never got rid of them. Long hiatus, back in the bag and holy smokes, why'd I ever stray??

MP68

These are the sets I’ve kept and still play:

MacGregor MT Pro-CM
PING S59
PING Eye 2
Nike Forged Pro Combo
Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Tour Blades
Titleist Tour Model Blades

Vapor Speed. I think they looked great and I don't think I'd be leaving much on the table compared to today.

macgregor pro-c

srixon z565

Ping Eye 2 and throw in my old TM Titanium Bubble shaft. One of the most reliable drivers I ever played. I played the 3 wood up until about 4 years ago, even had a name for her, “Old School”. It was the easiest 3 wood to shape in either direction. Damn I miss her.

Back