Balancing Family and Golf

That is great production for 2 little ones!! I have a 5 & 2 year old. I have found that weekday morning, 9 holes before work is doable and OK with my wife. I can get a 6am tee time and still be at work by 815-830 or so. The other benefit of going this early is that I miss all the traffic as I play near the office.

Thanks. Never thought of playing an early weekday 9 before work. Not sure if I could pull it off since we tag team getting the kids ready and out the door in the morning.

Definitey have to be creative. Glad you found something that has worked for you.

Not a bad decline at all...and like said you got to get creative sometimes.

Im pretty sure Ive played more THP event golf then casual rounds this year lol

Thought I would revisit this and compare now that we have our 2nd child (2 yo daughter and 9 mos old son).
Last season at this time I had played 34 rounds of golf, 17 of them on the weekend.
This season I've played 27 rounds (Including my first THP event) but only 8 on the weekend.
I'm getting out a little more than I thought I would actually.

I have 2 boys, 2 1/2yo and 9mo, and I can honestly say I don't play much anymore. Just did an outing with some guys here in Orlando and it was my first round since fathers day. Hoping I can start getting my oldest to want to go to the range with me, but right now he shows no interest and I don't want to force it on him.

If I weren;t the one who took the kids to daycare, I would definitely consider the early AM round before work.

I love this topic because I fight with this balance a lot. I love playing but I love spending time with my family more. I haven't played much since the birth of our second child and honestly I like it that way. When I'm lucky enough to be out on the course I enjoy it more. I'm not worried about score as much as I used to and honestly I'm playing better now. For me, it's family first. Always

Yeah, the 5 year old is pretty self sufficient at this point so it's not as much work. Having 2 smaller ones makes it a little more difficult I guess. Imagine the day when you can bring the kids with you!! I am trying to figure out if my 5 year old can ride in the cart with me for 9 holes and not be too disruptive. I got him some tiny clubs and could let him putt or play from 40 yards in or something.

Thanks. Never thought of playing an early weekday 9 before work. Not sure if I could pull it off since we tag team getting the kids ready and out the door in the morning.

I have 2 boys, 2 1/2yo and 9mo, and I can honestly say I don't play much anymore. Just did an outing with some guys here in Orlando and it was my first round since fathers day. Hoping I can start getting my oldest to want to go to the range with me, but right now he shows no interest and I don't want to force it on him.

If I weren;t the one who took the kids to daycare, I would definitely consider the early AM round before work.

Our kids are the same age. I'm lucky to have some flexibility with work and a lot of PTO so I've moved some of those weekends to weekdays. Looking forward to trying to get them both interested when they get older.

Yeah, the 5 year old is pretty self sufficient at this point so it's not as much work. Having 2 smaller ones makes it a little more difficult I guess. Imagine the day when you can bring the kids with you!! I am trying to figure out if my 5 year old can ride in the cart with me for 9 holes and not be too disruptive. I got him some tiny clubs and could let him putt or play from 40 yards in or something.

My daughter has the little plastic set she likes to goof around with right now. It's a start.

I love this topic because I fight with this balance a lot. I love playing but I love spending time with my family more. I haven't played much since the birth of our second child and honestly I like it that way. When I'm lucky enough to be out on the course I enjoy it more. I'm not worried about score as much as I used to and honestly I'm playing better now. For me, it's family first. Always
Both of these about sum my situation up. With a 3 year old and 18 month old, getting out is tricky to say the least. But wouldn't trade the time with them for anything. Hoping next year will lead to more golf, and more the next year, and so on.

I have two boys - 7 and 4. I started taking them with me to chip and putt around age 2 and to the course around 3 1/2. Now, the 7 year old plays from the red tees and the 4 year old plays from either 150 or 200 yds depending on the hole. We usually play 9 holes or close to it.

Some of my favorite rounds this summer were the times out with the boys. As an added bonus, the wife encourages it because I'm out playing with the boys and she gets free time!!

I wouldn't hesitate about bringing the kid on the cart. It really is a blast.

When we can't get a sitter my wife and I bring our 2 girls (6 and3) in the carts with us. We pack snacks, some small toys, drinks and a couple of old iPads. We let the girls pull the pin and put them back after we are done putting. They get a little bored around the 14 hole so we give them the iPads. Works well. This past winter we got a half dozen games in Hawaii this way

It's tough to make a solid time commitment to the game with young children. I invested in a great mat and 50 foam balls. I put up a bed sheet in the furnace room and almost every night when I'm home I go and work on my swing for 15-25 minutes after they are in bed. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. That way when I actually do get a chance to play, it's not that bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back