Balancing Family and Golf

Tough situation. My two daughters are 2 years apart and are grown now. When they were small I played 3-4 times a year for about 6-7 years until they were older and not such a drain on my wife while I was at the course. It was voluntary and spending time with them was way better than spending time on the course. Now that I'm retired I'm making up for lost time.

Last edited:
I handled the situation with dignity and class, I just refuse to have children :)

I've got alomst 4 year old twins, and really didn't start playing golf again until earlier this year. I try to play once a weekend, if I can get the first tee time. If I'm out by 7, usually home beofre 11, and then let me wife have the rest of the day to do what she wants, I watch the kids. During the week, it's somewhat easy, kids go to bed by 8, and I run out to the rangeright after. Or I schedule a half out in the bay at golftec during lunch to hit some balls. I'm thinking of joining a club next year, which may make things easier if my wifes and kids have something to do there too.

Family first. And more 9 hole rounds in the earliest tee times available.

This. And I have a four year old and seven month old daughter. When the time changes it will be even easier for me to get nine in before work.

I try and get out for 18 holes with the boys every other weekend.

It does help that my wife has recently started showing some interest in the game. When we can get a sitter we've been known to play nine holes on Friday evening to kick off the weekend. Hitting a little white ball can be very addictive, even for women;-).

If you travel for work like I do I always try to take my clubs with me. If the powers that be in the finance section are willing to cover a baggage fee, why not it be your clubs?
I can fit most of my clothes for a business trip in my bag and travel cover. Earliest flight out gives you time for an afternoon round on the first day. I try and structure my meetings on site to allow for an early morning or late afternoon round...I also try and see if any of the folks at the site I am visiting golf, it is a great way to keep the networking going. If you travel two or three weeks a mont it is a great way to get some rounds in and play some courses you might not have any other chance to play.
I'm heading to Tucson at the end of the month and I am going to take a personal day in conjunction with travel and I should get at least four rounds in in the three days I have on the ground.

I'm planning to get my first born some little clubs and take her to the range when she turns 3 with the hopes that she gets excited about golfing with daddy. We'll see how that goes.

Solid move, and I do it myself, but remember not to force the issue once they get bored. My daughter has about a five minute span MAX before she is playing princess with the water cups (she has an active imagination).

You've described why I didn't play much golf until a couple years ago. Having young children is a 2nd full time job, but if it's any consolation, once they're teenagers, you'll have plenty of time for the wife and golf because the kids don't want your time anymore.

I mainly play 9 hole rounds during the week and hit the range when I can. I travel a lot as well and get rounds in when I can that way. I usually keep weekends free for the family and have now started bringing my 3 year old to the range. Although I love golf, it takes a back seat to a lot of things, so I figure out when I can get in the time after everything else is taken care of.

I play golf with my family, and I've introduced them to my extended family. THP! It's a win win

I also just had my second earlier this year and it's been a struggle to make everyone happy. We have finally got a system in place and it seems to be working really well. I try and go to the range twice a week for a hour or so after work and maybe a round on every other weekend. But I joined a league this year as well so I always had at least one day to golf. I would also try to get out on the weekend when it worked with our schedules.

It's been said before, but it is a fine line and you just have to make a few sacrifices now and it will get better as the kiddos get older.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. My wife has been great with the first one and we've talked about it some already. She knows how much I enjoy it and she actually plays too. Both sets of parents are great so we should get out together a few times as well. I can see once or twice a month on the weekend and a quick 9 after work some days. There is a range literally across the street from me but it closed recently. That would have been ideal. There will be plenty of give and take. I'm sure I won't be playing as much next season but it will be well worth. Not complaining, just trying to have my cake and eat it too :)

I guess I will share my story too, I am 18 and I have a 2 year old sister, and my step-mom is expecting another in February. When my sister was born the time me and my dad got to spend tether got cut down significantly and since I only see him every other weekend it is very rare I get to golf with him, and until I got a car, golf at all. My opinion is that family comes before hobbies but that doesn't mean you have to give up your hobbies altogether or forever.

My wife and I have a pretty good understanding that I golf on my days off, they fall during the week, and a couple of times a month on Sunday. This is during the summer, Sundays are family days once the snow flies.

I also try and play during nap times so my wife has some down time while I am gone.

I've been struggling with this issue myself, especially since finding THP and having my passion for golf rekindled/magnified. We have a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 month old, and my wife stays home to watch them so when I get home from work she's usually pretty ready to tag me in. She doesn't have many hobbies outside of the house, so I always feel a little guilty that I'm spending money on golf and taking time outside the house when she doesn't really do either. I think more 9-hole rounds has helped, but I think I'm going to have to look into the early rounds on weekends next year as a way to get more 18's in.

Trying to figure this out myself. Have a 2yo and just had a boy Sept 24th.

Something I have learned, plan your rounds as soon as possible. "Next week Saturday, would it fit if I played golf at {insert time}?" And learn to love 9 hole rounds.

Joe nailed it. Takes more planning but it can be done. I usually plan a week in advance. And play 9 holes after work has been huge.

When my daughter was born I promised my wife no golf on the weekend because my wife works, so the weekend is family time. My schedule is flexible enough to get on the course during the week. I play in a men's ice hockey league Sundays, so that the final nail in the coffin for weekend golf.

Glad I never had to make these choices, for family I mean. Golf bug didn't bite until my son was a teenager and pretty self sufficient. I only wish he liked golf!

It can be a tough thing. When my kids were younger, I pretty much gave up the game, only getting out 2 or 3 times a year.

Many of you are saying "more 9 hole rounds." Do your courses allow you to pay half the price and play 9 holes? Or are you going to a course that only has 9 holes in total?

I ask because the courses around here simply do not have a reduced rate to play 9. They have twilight rates but that's it so there's no way to play 9 in the morning without paying full price.

Many of you are saying "more 9 hole rounds." Do your courses allow you to pay half the price and play 9 holes? Or are you going to a course that only has 9 holes in total?

I ask because the courses around here simply do not have a reduced rate to play 9. They have twilight rates but that's it so there's no way to play 9 in the morning without paying full price.

Yes, there is a nine hole rate at every course around here. Maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a full round.

Yes, there is a nine hole rate at every course around here. Maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a full round.
That's great. That definitely makes things easier when it comes to trying to squeeze in a round on a tight weekend.

That's great. That definitely makes things easier when it comes to trying to squeeze in a round on a tight weekend.

I've played very few this year, but during the week I did last year. For me, it's just easier to set the expectation that Sunday morning is my time to play 18 and give her some time elsewhere in return. I'm a bigger crab than normal if I don't get away, so I think everybody wins.

I hope this goes without saying. But if the leash gets extended and you play a round of golf, you don't get to complain when she goes to the spa for a mani/pedi.

Back