BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

What say you THP pitmasters? Is an electric smoke a bad investment for someone looking to get into this? Would I have more flexibility with a grill like smoker?

Was at Menards today and saw these electric models were reasonable. Not a lot of space in there admittedly.

fc476d6b20629ecf10263f59fc700544.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What say you THP pitmasters? Is an electric smoke a bad investment for someone looking to get into this? Would I have more flexibility with a grill like smoker?

Was at Menards today and saw these electric models were reasonable. Not a lot of space in there admittedly.

Might as well use an oven IMO. The active fire actually helps create the bark. I’d go propane over electric.

Not to get started....not at all in my opinion. If you have the coin go pellet smoker over a true electric, just easier to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For the money, you could also look at the Weber Smokey Mtn. It is charcoal and wood but price competitive and temp regulation is not that hard at all. Check out YouTube reviews and cooks on the models you are looking at and also the WSM. Look at the pit Barrel Cooker as well. I had an electric smoker for a number of years, but prefer the charcoal/wood route. Not hard to learn at all. Just depends on how involved you want to be in the cook.

JM

The WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) grill is probably the best smoker out there for the money. It's big enough to do turkeys, brisket, pulled pork - literally any kind of BBQ you want and a lot of it if you get the larger model. It's very reasonably priced, and you'll get a good 5 years of use out of it. I used one for years and years and it's a super option to learn on. Very easy to control temps on and you can use plain old charcoal briquets in it. I've kept one going for 16 hours or more without even having to add fuel. I love that it comes apart in sections too - very easy to add charcoal if need be.

That's really a great option and suggestion. Another selling point - there is a wonderful website devoted entirely to the WSM - including a forum like this one with thousands of recipes and discussion threads.

https://virtualweberbullet.com

Anyone have any tips on recipe and smoke techniques for a brisket?

I’m a realist for newbie with just a cheap electric smoker, but my wife has been begging me to smoke her a brisket, so the time has come.

Have only done ribs and wings in the past.

Appreciate any tips from the pros here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a realist for newbie with just a cheap electric smoker, but my wife has been begging me to smoke her a brisket, so the time has come.

Get one of these if you are using an electric. You will get 4-5 hours of constant smoke without having to reload. I recommend the tray not the tubes. A small torch is the best way to get it started.

https://www.amazenproducts.com/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So I’ve been on this street taco kick lately. Smoked a chuck roast (cheap) and chopped. Pretty darn good!

de8d331e97ee1c6ce073f6235744ce0a.jpg

JM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know you have become their THP sales person haha, but has anybody recently talked about temp swings here?

I know multiple people bought Grillas recently and are loving them haven’t mentioned it. Others too.

Haha, sorry guys. I was reading some older posts :doh:

Did some filets again last night, dang they're good.

Smoke on :D

Anything regarding technique, recipes and products, this would be a great place to start. Plenty of tips and recipes for brisket and smoking/grilling meats.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://amazingribs.com/[/FONT]

Hey @GolferGal what are your favorite rubs?

Some of my favorite brands/companies are Killer Hog, Meat Church, Kosmo Q, and Meat Mitch.
Check out Oakride BBQ and Naturiffic also - top notch stuff.

BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Actually ordered that Traeger and a long range MEATER earlier today on Prime Day.

Can anyone confirm that Traeger is solid?

Think I’m just going to sell my Weber grill and the electric smoker. Both are relatively new, but I got them for good deals, so should be able to recoup a decent amount (I hope, at least).

Amazon has the Meater on for prime day. $80

Im planning on updating my BBQ equipment next summer. Currently have a 22" Weber Kettle and a Brinkman 5 burner propane grill.

I use both quite often. The weber is my go to for smoked, slow n low, wood/coal fired searing and is probably used the most. I would go pellet style but have heard the searing capabilites are non-existant. I could go with the bigger weber kettle but still would have the manual temp regulation challenges.

Either way, I think I still want a gas grill for those easy BBQ nights (dogs, burgers, chicken etc) I could rig up a cast iron system to sear meat from the pellet grill but that gives a different flavor than actual flame seared meat...

decisions, decisions...

I can vouch for the Black Ops brisket rub from Oakridge BBQ. I didn't use it for a brisket but a thick chuck roast and made pulled beef. Just delicious.

Any recommendations for which pellets I should buy for the Traeger I picked up?

I believe I've read that a lot of people prefer the Apple over other things like Hickory, but thought it would be wise to check in with you guys first before I jump the gun.

Any recommendations for which pellets I should buy for the Traeger I picked up?

I believe I've read that a lot of people prefer the Apple over other things like Hickory, but thought it would be wise to check in with you guys first before I jump the gun.

Apple or pecan I like with my ribs. I tend to use mesquite or oak for beef. They have a Texas Beef blend that I think is a mixture of mesquite and oak.

Apple or pecan I like with my ribs. I tend to use mesquite or oak for beef. They have a Texas Beef blend that I think is a mixture of mesquite and oak.

Awesome, thanks. I will go Apple for Ribs.

For brisket, I would want to go with the Oak or the Texas Beef blend?

Awesome, thanks. I will go Apple for Ribs.

For brisket, I would want to go with the Oak or the Texas Beef blend?

That is what I do. I am not sure what others use. Typically, I just buy mesquite and oak and mix it myself (2/3 mesquite to 1/3 oak). I have lots of buckets from work and that is probably not necessary.

That is what I do. I am not sure what others use. Typically, I just buy mesquite and oak and mix it myself (2/3 mesquite to 1/3 oak). I have lots of buckets from work and that is probably not necessary.

Appreciate it sir!

Back