BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Pork belly burnt ends and beef ribs. Forgot to take after pics of the beef ribs, but they were beyond good!
d3a9180865965ef2bea14cafadb7acf9.jpg
5572892983d5286c1c1dee0981a02546.jpg
99642a0adf6094a60e8827002c39115b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

why have I never thought of pork belly burnt ends?! 🤤

Did hot and fast bone in pork butt on the Rectec yesterday. Started at 7:30am at 285°. Never hit a stall, finished in 7hrs 30 minutes, into a cooler for 4 hours.

My wife makes a fantastic spicy cole slaw to go with it

Not sure I can tell any difference from a 15 hour low and slow smoke. It was delicious.
567CB5A3-7F4D-4025-9D8F-5BC0F500D895.jpeg8ED14ABA-568F-4B01-91E5-8BD4C855AA81.jpeg9D6564F7-9C52-4947-B8EF-24D7B72F633F.jpegC7C3D79D-9F82-4F79-B7A7-D566178ABEE8.jpeg

Did hot and fast bone in pork butt on the Rectec yesterday. Started at 7:30am at 285°. Never hit a stall, finished in 7hrs 30 minutes, into a cooler for 4 hours.

My wife makes a fantastic spicy cole slaw to go with it

Not sure I can tell any difference from a 15 hour low and slow smoke. It was delicious.

You've inspired me to try this today. I put on a 8.6 pounder at 8:30 am and I'm trying 270* for 10 hours. Here it is 2.5 hours in.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 10.57.59 AM.png

It took 12 hours and it’s super tasty! I’m driving down to my son’s college and having lunch with my him on Tuesday and he’ll love all the leftovers.

58526153-FC4D-4AA1-9BCB-C75104496FDC.jpeg36351EF2-6408-43F3-A28E-6246398E295F.jpeg

Going to do a turkey breast on the traeger tomorrow. I don’t eat the skin but should smoke it with the skin on and then remove when it’s done? Also does anyone inject a turkey breast before they smoke it?

Going to do a turkey breast on the traeger tomorrow. I don’t eat the skin but should smoke it with the skin on and then remove when it’s done? Also does anyone inject a turkey breast before they smoke it?

I wouldn’t inject but would consider a brine. Don’t follow this 100%, but usually when I fry turkey I inject & when I smoke one I brine. Never smoked a breast only so curious how it comes out!

I wouldn’t inject but would consider a brine. Don’t follow this 100%, but usually when I fry turkey I inject & when I smoke one I brine. Never smoked a breast only so curious how it comes out!
It’s about to come off I just did some dry rub. Going to pull it at 160 then wrap and my local butcher told me he would slice it real thin for me tomorrow. Want to make sandwich’s without the sodium filled deli meats

Last edited:
Putting this to the THP braintrust for consideration. Currently in my outdoor cooking stable is a gas grill that is one or two steps away from being a flame thrower, and a small charcoal smoker of the El Cheapo Brinkmann type. Both have seen their better days and I’m looking for something new and shiny to take their places. The other day while tooling through Walmart I happened across this particular unit on display:

Pellet Smoker Combo

Now this isn’t the first name that comes to mind when thinking about outdoor cooking but I find the concept attractive. Gas grill on one side for quick cooks and pellet smoker on the other for slow cooking. This particular unit appeared well buil comes with a few nice extras:

Bluetooth to the smoker
Two temp probes
Cast iron griddle

So, braintrust, what should I do here? Is this the best of both worlds or a jack of two trades/master of none?

My Grilla SIlverback has been sitting in my garage since wednesday... Im determined to have it up and smoking today!

What!?! Pb and j ribs? Now that’s a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully this is not considered SPAM....but I thought this deserved a little more spot light. I managed to not screw up grilling fish directly on the grates. The thick and tasty skin on this fish helped a lot. But also having a great Urban Islands Grill to get them piping hot prior to placing the meat added to my success. I can take no credit for the excellent smoke fillet that my friend prepared. She's a wizard with her smoker and brine.

My review of NY Steelhead Trout:

Here we go.

FE154380-0FF9-417C-A5E2-42DAF9180634.jpeg

B5821DF3-57B0-43E6-B2BD-BB2E5EF3235C.jpeg
5113AB28-94AB-4252-9739-6B91768DD78C.jpeg
2F2C4457-CE9F-45EE-AF9F-D0683F691D71.jpeg
Need to remember to tighten up some screws on the latch before the next smoke.😆

3048D810-858E-4629-B6E5-CA45CD067E7A.jpeg
Five hours of smoke and now the wrap. We’ll see in about 4 hours how it is.

Putting this to the THP braintrust for consideration. Currently in my outdoor cooking stable is a gas grill that is one or two steps away from being a flame thrower, and a small charcoal smoker of the El Cheapo Brinkmann type. Both have seen their better days and I’m looking for something new and shiny to take their places. The other day while tooling through Walmart I happened across this particular unit on display:

Pellet Smoker Combo

Now this isn’t the first name that comes to mind when thinking about outdoor cooking but I find the concept attractive. Gas grill on one side for quick cooks and pellet smoker on the other for slow cooking. This particular unit appeared well buil comes with a few nice extras:

Bluetooth to the smoker
Two temp probes
Cast iron griddle

So, braintrust, what should I do here? Is this the best of both worlds or a jack of two trades/master of none?
Buy it, try it... if it sucks return it!

set up and used the Grilla Silverback Alpha this weekend. Sorry no pics! Food was gone way too fast!

Set up was manageable but some better illustrations and/or instructions would be helpful. Also, why the ONE extra screw in the hardware kit? I spent 20 minutes pouring over the unit to find the one missing bolt hole...

smoked a big steelhead filet that came out awesome

2 tri-tips (these seemed a little dry compared to the weber slow n sear but still tasty as heck)

2 pork shoulders. I had to rush these so they didnt come out totallt fall off the bone tender but still tasty as heck and made some real good sliders last night.

Tonight, pulled pork tacos and/or tri tip tacos!

I did go buy some drip tray liners to help with cleaning. had to go with traeger brand liners and get the closest size. folded one side in a little bit and it fits well.

Overall I am very happy with this cooker!

snagged the Alpha as a xmas give for myself. getting the first real smoke on in this week

I'm gonna have to smoke something this weekend or I'm gonna go crazy.

Back